FMJ 45 ACP for Defense? - Page 9

FMJ 45 ACP for Defense?

This is a discussion on FMJ 45 ACP for Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob Big FAST bullets are more betterer....... .45? Yes. .45-70? Yes, sir....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: FMJ 45 ACP for Defense?

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Big FAST bullets are more betterer.......

.45? Yes.

.45-70? Yes, sir.
    OD*, msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    .45? Yes.

.45-70? Yes, sir.
    Thinking more along the lines of 44 magnum.
    OD*, G-man* and ETXhiker like this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Not my first choice but then I have seen in first person what .45 ACP ball out of a 5" government issue 1911 does to the human body. IT will do the job if placed properly and applied in ample amounts.
    xXxHeavy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Own a Colt Officer's Model and I don't feel under-stoked with FMJ. My gun has been worked so HP are NOT an issue, but that added "Mr.Murphy" factor makes me lean toward FMJ's in this platform. I would probably load my Gov't Model with JHP's,but also would NOT hesitate to go with hardball in it either. It worked for my Uncle Sam...so why not?
    Greeting 11B. I would much rather have a 230gr. ball than the current 9MM 115-grain flat nose full metal jacketed bullet, the 9x19mm Luger round has a distinctive shape. With a brass case and military primer, it has an advertised velocity of 1,320 fps at the muzzle which translates to 445 ft/lbs of energy. Downrange this shifts to 1,301/432 at 5 yards and 132/387 at 25 yards, according to the tables provided by the company.

Compare to .45 FN

45 ACP +P Ammo
    230 gr. FMJ FN @ 950 fps/M.E. 461 ft lbs

From Buffalo Bore: 45ACP +P ammo is externally/dimensionally identical to 45 ACP ammo and can be fired in any 45 ACP firearm that is in normal operating condition. However, the greater pressures and power of the +P ammo will give you greater slide velocity and if you are going to shoot more than a box or two of +P ammo, you should consider replacing your recoil spring with a Wolf Spring that gives roughly 4 to 6 lbs more spring weight than factory stock springs. A shock buffer might also be a good addition although it is not too necessary if you use the stronger spring.
    Last edited by Two Bears; January 30th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    you should consider replacing your recoil spring with a Wolf Spring that gives roughly 4 to 6 lbs more spring weight than factory stock springs. A shock buffer might also be a good addition although it is not too necessary if you use the stronger spring.
    I would have to disagree with this, as what I have learned in my research and discussion with people who really understand the 1911...especially on the shock buffers.

Shock buffers can actually prevent the full rearward travel of the slide, and cause BOB issues, or even cause frame cracking, especially in a already short action like an Officer model.

Also, I’m very hesitant to add spring weight just to shoot a +p load. People forget that the slide returns to battery after firing, and a heavier spring will cause the frame to take a beating on the other end as well.

Its best to just not dick with a 1911 that is running properly, and if you do, stay as close to OEM parameters as possible.

1911’s are pretty strong. If you can afford to put enough +p thru one to hurt it, you can certainly afford to buy another one.
    xXxHeavy, subhuman, OD* and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

If you are worried about round nosed ball check out Buffalo Bores Full Metal Jacket Flat Points - https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=295

Slightly off topic, but can this thread get an award for a non-sticky thread spanning a decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but can this thread get an award for a non-sticky thread spanning a decade?
    Don't we have to wait until its 10th birthday in July?
    gasmitty and Bad Bob like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Senior Moderator
    Forget the Lazarus award, this one deserves a new Zombie award. With multiple resurrections since 2010, it just refuses to stay dead and buried.
    OD*, CDW4ME, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Forget the Lazarus award, this one deserves a new Zombie award. With multiple resurrections since 2010, it just refuses to stay dead and buried.
    Because it (topic of 45 FMJ for defense) is embalmed with the magical quality of emotion (rationalization) and THAT is near impossible to kill:
    45 FMJ has that extra .1 of diameter that makes all the difference. 9mm FMJ for SD? Oh heck no, but 45 gets a pass cause of the magical .1
    45 FMJ won't overpenetrate. Ugh, it penetrates 30'' of gel. People aint made out of gel, it don't overpenetrate people cause it don't, magic.
    Even if it did overpenetrate, missed shots are worse, so then overpenetration doesn't count (matter). Rationalization at its best.
    HP 45 ammo is available that expands from short barrels, but 45 FMJ is deemed good enough (that magical extra .1). Save a few bucks > carry better ammo
    Police in the USA don't carry 45 FMJ - wait for it .... they aint the police.

When something is deemed "good enough" (45 FMJ for SD) forget using logic to defeat the emotion infused zombie.
    Wolf357 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Just like 38 wadcutters.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Which is better: 9mm HP or .45 ACP FMJ?

Bullet placement is better...……..

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I love the .45acp
    OD* likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box” - Frederick Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
    My everyday carry gun is a Springfield Micro Compact. Although I have fired different brands of hollow point ammo without any malfunctions, I carry FMJ ammo as my defensive rounds. Reason being is that I have heard how 3 inch 1911's sometimes have issues due to the shorter barrel. Like I said I have shot hp's without a problem at all, but I haven't shot enough through this gun that I feel 100% comfortable carrying hollow points, mainly because I can't afford the price of good hp ammo to put 200-400 rounds down range, like I have with FMJ. My question to you guys is do you think FMJ will get the job done should I ever have to defend my life with it? I do consider the over penetration factor also. Do any others here use FMJ as a defense round, and if so what's a good brand to use? Any input is appreciated.
    Will it get the job done? sure

I use speer TMJ and FMJ
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Sponsored Links