Defensive Carry banner

380 auto vs 380 acp in a S&W Bodyguard 380

117K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  PaulThaum 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought that a 380 auto and a 380 ACP were the same round. It's different enough that in my S&W Bodyguard 380, the TulAmmo 380 ACP would not fully chamber the round. What a bummer to be on the range, at the firing line, ready to pull the boom switch and you realize, it's not going to work... :frown:

I wonder if this is a Bodyguard issue or a TulAmmo issue? Everything that I can find on the ole interwebs seems to indicate that 380 auto is just an abbreviation for 380 ACP.

I realize that many folks won't shoot non-brass cartridges or 380s, that's not what I'm interested in hearing about.

Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
To the best of my knowledge, the 380 auto and the 380 ACP (automatic pistol cartridge) are one and the same. Some ranges don't like Tula ammo because it is made in Mexico and has a steel center and can cause ricochets

Edit: do a check and put the good round side by side with the one that didn't work and see if the is a height difference or the bullet ogive (bullet contours) is different but those are the only two things I can think of that would not allow the slide to fully seat.

• Helpful
Reactions: Admin
#12 ·
to the best of my knowledge the 380 auto and the 380 acp (automatic pistol cartridge) are one in the same. Some ranges don't like Tula ammo because it is made in Mexico and has a steel centers and can cause ricochets

Edit: do a check and put the good round side by side with the one that didn't work and see if the is a height difference or the bullet olgive (bullet contours) is different but those are the only two things I can think of that would not allow the slide to fully seat
Made in Russia

#3 ·
As far as I know they are the same so it must be that particular round.

#5 ·
The .380 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge was developed by John Moses Browning and is the same cartridge as the .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9×17mm, same-o-same-o, different countries use different names. But it's not to be confused with .38 ACP, completely different cartridge.

#6 ·
Comparing the bad rounds with the good ones, the rim cut (not sure if that is the correct terminology) on the bad round is about 2/3 the size of the one on a good round. The cartridges are the same size in height and diameter so it has to be something with the rim cut.

Gonna break down the gun and slide each cartridge in the chamber and see how they fit.

#7 ·
Ya, it seems to be relatively clear that it's just that batch of Tul ammo you have. Run to Walmart and buy a box of WWB and compare the rounds, then go shoot the WWB and you will have no problemo's.

#10 ·
I reload and even tho the cases may mic the same I know that if the case isn't crimped right there is just enough difference that they will fail to chamber right,when adjusting my dies I use a factory round to set up crimp and length,then I use a barrel and insert the round to make sure it slides in and out.I have over crimped a round before and have run the rounds back thru a resizing die with the decapper removed to size the case back within tolerance.
You definitely have a bad batch

#17 ·
.380 Auto is a .380 ACP. Some smaller automatics are picky about the ammo they eat.

My advice: the smaller the calliber the higher quality the ammo must be. Plus, the break-in period is important for any automatic firearm. Most break-ins require 100 to 300 rounds (or more) before determining the reliability of the pistol or rifle.

#20 ·
I bought a S&W bodyguard for my wife last week. I picked up a couple boxes of Tula to take to the range. I had the same problem with the slide not closing all the way. We tried 5-6 bullets and could not get any of them to chamber properly. Very frustrating to say the least. Did you ever try out another box of Tula? Maybe we both got a bad box? Or maybe the bodyguard just doesn't like it?

#22 ·
380 Tula Ammo

I just was out shooting last week and after I emptied my clip I went in the bag to reload. I thought I would try the only box of the TULA I had bought to try. :mad: It wouldn't even completely chamber the round. I tried several and pet them away to check later. They definitely have a broader nose on them. I put all the TULA away, thankfully I had only bought the 1 box. Haven't had a problem with any of the .223 ammo I have tried from TULA. This was in my Sig 380. I wouldn't want to count on it if I needed it in an EMERGENCY!

#24 ·
Here is something a fellow instructor sent me regarding Brass vs Steel ammo. May wish to read.

Attachments

#25 ·
That was an awesome read, onacoma, thanks for posting.

#27 ·
I recently had this same problem with a box of .380 91gr. Tulammo In my bodyguard! I referenced the cartridge to a federal .380 and the Headspace is much shorter/smaller on the tulammo I have! The taper on the case to the extraction rim is really steep/short on the Tula!
I'm contacting them as well, but that is the reason some of the batches Will not chamber fully!

#28 ·
Great article onacoma. A very interesting and compelling comparison study. The hi-res photos really helps give you a visual perspective to the detailed comparison. :hand9:

#29 ·
ditto on my bodyguard. there may be more to this story than just this particular ammo; unfortunately mine worked fine with same ammo for about 500 rounds; then made the mistake of asking s&w how to adjust the site since it shot left 3" @ 21ft. NOpe, gotta send to them to adjust. OK. Came back and would no longer load ANY ammo I own - same issue not closing. sent back again, they said it was fine and returned unfixed. same issue. it is going back again. I found 2 bullets out of 300 tried, in 4 different brands (good big names included). I suspect this is not just a tullo issue.

#32 ·
Ya'll are blaming the ammo??? Blame the BODYGUARD!

I just finished up 4+ months of fighting them over same issue; their 3rd 'repair' made it so it would not accept ANY ammo and close fully. Just got it back 4rth time and they 'replaced the barrel again.'

guess what?? IT FEEDS EVERYTHING NOW! INCLUDING TULLO AND WOLF steel just like it did when new before they broke it the first time.

Stop blaming the ammo - it is my opinion based on these facts that S&W has serious quality control problems and is shipping understized bodyguard 380 barrels. It is NOT the ammo's fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.