recommended ammo for ruger sr22 - Page 2

recommended ammo for ruger sr22

This is a discussion on recommended ammo for ruger sr22 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I has my MP 22 Compact all I fed it was CCI mini mBs and Fgsf thousands of shots I never had a failure ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: recommended ammo for ruger sr22

Distinguished Member
    When I has my MP 22 Compact all I fed it was CCI mini mBs and Fgsf thousands of shots I never had a failure of any kind.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    FWIW, Stingers are not widely known for their accuracy. There are a few who swear by them, but their advantage is "hyper" velocity for a .22, at the cost of a longer case.
    I always thought that too but my old Remington 550 loves them, it is what gives me the best accuracy with that rifle.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

I’ve always had good luck with mini-mag CCI though I have one Colt conversion which seems to prefer the old Winchester Wild Cats. If carry were the plan I would use Winchester Power points or CCI mini-mag if they proved reliable and accurate in the weapon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Cci pretty much seems the bench mark in rimfire. Good thing is at .04 per round you can try em all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    CCI Mini Mags; the 40 gr seems to be pretty much fine for almost any .22...at least they have been for me.

When it comes to .22's it depends on the particular gun! I have been blessed with my M&P 22 Compact which eats most any bulk ammo (including the dreaded Remington Thunder duds) like a fat kid eating Skittles! OTOH, I had a 10-22 that was very finicky and didn't like most bulk ammo. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Some of the worst ammo I've found is Winchester Super X. Some of the bullets are seated very loose and will wobble around causing jams. Other than the culls, they are very accurate. However, I won't be buying anymore. Remington Golden and CCI Mini Mags work well in my Ruger 10-22.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

VIP Member
    One of my friends has an SR22 and it seems to shoot a lot of different kinds of ammo, except for the Aguila Super Extra that I have a lot of and was going to share with her. It absolutely and positively rejects that ammo, big time! My Ruger Mark IV Lite doesn't like it either! Fortunately my Browning 1911-22 and my S&W M&P .22 compact do not care what you feed them.

Some brands are more accurate in one gun or another, and it is worth keeping track of those for various purposes. For plinking and shooting steel, about anything that feeds and ejects properly is OK with me. For competition shooting on paper targets, there is a difference, for sure!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by contented View Post
    Mine won't shoot any of the cheap stuff reliably. I use cci minmag round nose 1235fps exclusively. No problems in 1,00 rounds.
    Same here, my SR22 is one of the more finicky guns I own. I've gone to the CCI Mini-Mag for pretty much all my .22LR plinking ammo.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

I have had good luck with the Remington Golden Bullets that come in the "Bucket O'Bullets - 36gr plated hollow point at rated at 1280fps.

I know they are not the highest quality 22LR out there, but they have been very consistent and reliable for me in my SR22 as well as my Browning Buckmark and Ruger 10/22.

So far my SR22 functions reliably with everything I've tried in it. Mostly cheap bulk stuff. As far as accuracy, I honestly haven't really wrung it out for that. It's certainly been accurate enough for the plinking, and new shooter training that I use it for. For precision work with a .22 LR pistol I always use my Ruger MK II. But, now you guys have got me curious about my SR22. I'm gonna take it soon and try a few different loads for accuracy.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

My SR22 has eaten every bulk ammo I have fed it including Fed Auto Match that I've heard complaints about until yesterday when I tried Winchester 555 bulk 36gr HP. Rarely would a full magazine go through without a failure to feed or a spent shell getting stuck in the chamber.

Although the SR22 is the first 22 that I've had to experiment to find what ammo it doesn't like instead of trying to find what it does like. A refreshing change.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Completely off topic!!!

I am absolutely amused at your avatar. I had a belt buckle in the 70's and it was a "hoot"!
    It also carried the words" Polish Armed Guard" as well.

Fantastic.Tom in Oregon TKH

VIP Member
    Like these? https://www.google.com/search?q=poli...rd+belt+buckle Bet they're pricier now.

My SR 22 like its big brother the 22/45 eats anything I throw in it, including the cheapest of the cheap.. You know, a million rounds in a 55 gallon drum for $4.99 kind of stuff...
    Ruger seemed to realize a .22 is used mostly for target work and plinking, and their designs actually work with the cheap bulk ammo most people end up buying. Its something some other gun builders should consider.bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links