Low recoil .40 S&W

Low recoil .40 S&W

This is a discussion on Low recoil .40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought my first .40 caliber pistol and want to know what bullet weight tends to be the lowest recoiling. Also want to know ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Low recoil .40 S&W

Low recoil .40 S&W

I recently bought my first .40 caliber pistol and want to know what bullet weight tends to be the lowest recoiling. Also want to know what bullet weight is ideal for concealed carry/hd applications (looking to reduce over penetration).

VIP Member
    You're going to get better info if we know what pistol you have. I've run different weight rounds in my Sigs and don't really feel any difference when comparing defensive rounds.
    Aceoky and 5lima30ret like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Senior Member Array mathiasinthe314's Avatar
    Too many variables to answer that question effectively for you. More than projectile weight comes into play with different brands, loads, types of projectiles, etc... Not to mention each individual model of firearm has its own variables that impact felt recoil such as barrel length, bore axis, grip, weight, springs, etc... So.... Care to elaborate what youre looking for?

In my Walther PPS .40 - I carry Hornady Critical Defense 165gr XTPs. They're fairly low recoil and minimal muzzle flash (important for night and low light, doesn't impact your night vision as badly).

They also meet the FBI standard 12-18 inches of penetration with consistent expansion.
    "In matters of taste, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like the rock." - Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Felt recoil is a combination of gun design, gun weight, barrel length, bullet weight, and bullet velocity. In general, the lower the muzzle energy, the lower the recoil. Ballistics 101 complies the published manufacturer's specifications for popular handgun and rifle ammo. The specifications are usually from a six inch barrel.

Ballistics 101 | All the ballistic charts. Finally, in one place
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I thought the 40 was the 10mm lite?
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Heavier, slower 180's in the .40 will recoil less than fast 155's . Generally heavy, slow bullets in any given caliber will recoil lest than light/fast. Of course, light, slower bullets would recoil the least .

I handload a 145 gr LSWC with Power Pistol at about 1000 fps that recoil very lightly in my Glocks .
    Bad Bob likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I'm running the ammo through a Sig P229. So far I have shot 180 grain HST's and Perfecta 170 grain fmj. So far the HST's seem more pleasant to shoot.

People always seem so seek the softest shooting kitten, but want the hardest hitting tiger. You can't have it both ways. Good on you for recognizing the fight stopping potential of the .40. Double kudos for choosing HST, one of the best performing self defense rounds.

It's going to recoil more in light pistols and short barrels. 180gr (heavy for caliber) will perform better (more reliably) than their lighter options. Practice trigger pull in dry fire. Practice recoil management in live fire.
    Enjoy!
    flintlock62 and wizard7mm08 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

The energy of recoil is proportional to:
    muzzle energy times
    the ratio between the weight of the bullet and the weight of the gun.

Thus for a given power level, the heavier bullet will kick more.
    jem102 likes this.

180 gr bullets with minimum charges of fast burning powder will give light recoil. W231, tight group and VV N320 will all work well in lower power factor 40. Precision one 180 gr factory has relatively light recoil. Recoil is subjective though so your going to have to do your own testing. Shoot more and the recoil from standard 40 will be more manageable.
    SW
    mano3 likes this.

I have shot the 165 grain and the 180 grain in .40cal and their really is not a lot of difference. The more you shoot it the less you notice the recoil.
    I am fortunate to find in my local wal-mart the white box Winchester .40 cal. 180gr. jacketed hollow points/ 50 rounds for 21.00 or less. You can check
    out the get tests on youtube. Pretty impressive round for price and you get to practice with your carry load. I shoot the
    Smith and Wesson Shield in .40 cal.. AWESOME GUN!!
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Look for 155gr. I've gotten a difference in felt recoil from 165gr but it's more noticeable in 155.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpurdy0 View Post
    I'm running the ammo through a Sig P229. So far I have shot 180 grain HST's and Perfecta 170 grain fmj. So far the HST's seem more pleasant to shoot.
    That's my current carry round for my 229's, 226, and my Beretta 96. Excellent choice.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    That's my current carry round for my 229's, 226, and my Beretta 96. Excellent choice.
    Uh, Ian - WHAT is ?

a. 180 gr. HST ? or

b. 170 gr. Perfecta ?

Not tryin' to be snarky, my brother, but your answer just ain't crystal clear (at least not to me.)
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I didn't know low recoil and 40 could be put together in the same sentence. I have grown to love the recoil though. Practice, Practice, and more Practice. I just so happen to have my 40 strapped on today! The HST 180 grain in my opinion is one of the best carry loads out there. Lear to shoot that round proficiently and you will be good to go.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links