Bullet setback - Page 5

Bullet setback

This is a discussion on Bullet setback within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; @ gasmitty ....Yes. Setback, as a dangerous issue, is only a problem with a very specific set of circumstances. In the case of the 40 ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Bullet setback

@gasmitty ....Yes. Setback, as a dangerous issue, is only a problem with a very specific set of circumstances. In the case of the 40 S&W, it was loads running at max pressure which had powder charges that may have been already compressed to some degree because heavier bullets (lead core anyway) are by definition longer. When set back, those long heavy bullets compressed the powder charge to an unacceptable level and caused a chamber pressure spike. I haven't pulled any 40s apart lately, but I've been told most of the manufacturers have gone to a denser powder which lays in the case better, thus reducing the likelihood of a compressed charge.

In the hundreds of thousands of .45ACP reloads I made, you couldn't have compressed the powder charge under any circumstances. They were light loads. with very small amounts of powder.

BTW....those of you who reload. They make "powder check" dies specifically to automate the process of double checking for double charged cases. Pretty handy if you're running a progressive press.
    graydude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    I've got a partial box of PMC "Flying Ashtray" 45 acp ammo that has a bullet setback problem. Some of the bullets set themselves noticeably deeper in the case with just normal use. That box of ammo has set in my storage area since sometime in the 1980's. I'm afraid to shoot them, too cheap to pitch them, too lazy to break them down.

That's what I like about my home-cast lead boolits. Even with a taper crimp, there is a slight ridge between the case and boolit that precludes setback.
    If you have a cast iron Dutch oven, put some rounds in it with the lid on tight, heat it up and let them cook off on their own. It's an interesting way to dispose of unusable rounds. Just keep the lid on and don't stand too close in case brass fragments sneak out from under the lid.

Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    If you have a cast iron Dutch oven, put some rounds in it with the lid on tight, heat it up and let them cook off on their own. It's an interesting way to dispose of unusable rounds. Just keep the lid on and don't stand too close in case brass fragments sneak out from under the lid.

Back in the day we would pry open a bullet and dump the powder in an ashtray at the bar, then grab a beer and sit back and watch the fun.
    graydude likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The dent in the pot was most likely from the primer shooting out. When I was in AK, a couple of weapons guys decided to de-arm a 30mm A-10 case with a blow torch. The primer shot out and started a fire. They had some 'splaining to do afterwards.
    graydude, OldChap and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    As a Reloader I do pay attention to bullet setback. When I do my Flare stage I do it as tight as I can without impeding on my bullet seating. Always works and no setback....Tight is Right!.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

That's interesting...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    As a Reloader I do pay attention to bullet setback. When I do my Flare stage I do it as tight as I can without impeding on my bullet seating. Always works and no setback....Tight is Right!.
    Are you sure you don't mean crimp stage? If not, I'm confused.
    OldChap likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean crimp stage? If not, I'm confused.
    Nope, you can also help maintain neck tension by limiting your expanding on the case neck to the bare minimum. That's why a lot of 357Sig reloaders don't even expand (or flare) their case necks. there are also some dies that size down the brass to the point you get a "wasp waist" when the bullets seated to the point it looks like a reverse bottle-neck.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Nope, you can also help maintain neck tension by limiting your expanding on the case neck to the bare minimum. That's why a lot of 357Sig reloaders don't even expand (or flare) their case necks. there are also some dies that size down the brass to the point you get a "wasp waist" when the bullets seated to the point it looks like a reverse bottle-neck.

Chuck
    That was my take on it as well. I don't flare rifle cases and give just the bare minimum on pistol cases. Especially if I'm loading lead bullets.
    Chuck R., OldChap and bmcgilvray like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post

Chuck
    OK, got it. Agreed, the least flare necessary is best.
    OldChap and The Old Anglo like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I shot next to a couple old coots once who were using .357Sig reloads from converted .40 S&W cases. They explained that while many think the .357 Sig was developed from a .40 S&W, it really was from a 10mm case as the converted .40s are shorter than a commercial .357Sig. They showed me how the converted case necks were even shorter than the commercial .357 Sig necks but said they didn't have any problem with the loads setting back. They must have been careful with the neck expecting/flaring also, but since both claimed to be retired machinists, they may have altered their dies a bit also, or at least the expansion ball.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links