Start up cost for reloading - Page 4

Start up cost for reloading

This is a discussion on Start up cost for reloading within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; @ gasmitty has it about right. The costs add up eventually, but the hardware seems to be your concern. 1K Gets you a good start, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Start up cost for reloading

@gasmitty has it about right. The costs add up eventually, but the hardware seems to be your concern. 1K Gets you a good start, ad it will go from there.

I started reloading to stock up on the cheap, and keep shooting. My state going all commie means ammo may be an issue soon. Glad I started when I did. Now that I have done a bit, fine tuning loads (handloading vs reloading) is becoming a fun hobby. As such I am looking into a single stage press. I have the Hornady AP progressive and love it. Not sure about other brands, but every time I buy something from Hornady that isn't components, it seems to come with "free" bullets.
    dangerranger likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

For me, handloading is as much fun as shooting. So is casting for that matter. Saving money is just a good benefit I get from it. And believe me, if you cast your own, youíll save tons. A box of 50 .45ís, .38ís, 40ís, ..... cost me about $3.00 ( I get my lead free). And itís a blast to do !! Talk about a win-win !!
    Shootnlead likes this.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    For me, handloading is as much fun as shooting. So is casting for that matter. Saving money is just a good benefit I get from it. And believe me, if you cast your own, youíll save tons. A box of 50 .45ís, .38ís, 40ís, ..... cost me about $3.00 ( I get my lead free). And itís a blast to do !! Talk about a win-win !!
    You are right...casting REALLY puts the topping on reloading. Being able to cast bullets to cover everything from squirrels to elephants is as good as it gets. And, there is nothing that will teach you more about guns and shooting than reloading and casting bullets.

I never get tired of being able to shoot all that I want to and not break the budget.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    There is always a ton of used equipment for sale. Pay 50%, no more. Get the Lyman Manual and read it first. Itís probably the best manual to learn from, and it has a lot of load data. Then buy a used single stage press, or a box of used equipment, and see if you like it. Lots of people donít.

This way you Iíll be out a few hundred dollars and youíll see if you enjoy doing it. If not you can sell it for what you bought it for. If yes you can then spend the money on the equipment you really want. Maybe you wonít end up with boxes of presses and multiples of everything else.
    Where do you find this used equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    Where do you find this used equipment?
    Craigslist, armslist, yard sales, sometimes forums.

If you can find someone selling their whole setup itís usually really nice because then you get everything at once, instead of spending a bunch of money, only to find out you didnít realize you would be spending more.
    Jaeger likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Craigslist, armslist, yard sales, sometimes forums.

If you can find someone selling their whole setup itís usually really nice because then you get everything at once, instead of spending a bunch of money, only to find out you didnít realize you would be spending more.
    I've been reloading since about 1980. Looking for a turret press.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links