.45 bullet compression

.45 bullet compression

This is a discussion on .45 bullet compression within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pulled my .45 out off the bench today a placed him as a starter for the week. On a whim I decided to eject the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: .45 bullet compression

.45 bullet compression

Pulled my .45 out off the bench today a placed him as a starter for the week. On a whim I decided to eject the chambered round and rotate with the magazine.....inserted the mag and ..... FTF OK, tap-rack ......slide returned to battery, but didn't 'sound quite right'. Eject, load, and lets look at these rounds...

.45 bullet compression-compression.jpg

The rounds were Hornady American Gunner 185grs.
    Rounds 1, 2, and 3 in order. Forth is boxed /unused round for reference. That mag has been loaded and inserted in the sidearm for three months (last time it came out to play at the range.)

Unloaded, reloaded, then unloaded and reloaded again....no more bullet compression, but what may have caused this...? Never seen this before in any firearm I've owned before.

Rock and Glock likes this.

The simple answer would be insufficient and inconsistent crimping at the factory. If you had only one of those chambered - ie not clearing a round, inserting a full mag and chambering another round, that is likely the only explanation. Depending on the powder charge, that one on the left could be very dangerous. I would contact Hornady.

I would sure inspect all the others from that lot. You can use a sheet of clear plexiglass, if you have one, to check a bunch at once.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I have seen that on rounds that have been chambered multiple times, each time a round is chambered it gets a smack on the nose of the bullet setting it back slightly each time. Myself I never chamber the same round more than twice then it is placed lower in the magazine.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've run tests by cycling rounds ten times through my Glock 30--reloads, Win. PDX1s, Speer Gold Dots--and none set back in excess of .01", which I would think normal. The Win moved only a few thousands. None ever moved as much as what yours did.

My suspicion would be brass too soft to hold a firm grip or not sized enough.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep. @OldVet got it. I've never had a Glock do that. Usually the culprit is a .40 S&W. At least that seems to be what every warns about. @goldshellback I'm assuming this was a 1911? Make and model?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I also rotate my rounds in the magazine if I rechamber-my Kimber sets them back a tiny bit.For reference I use Remington Golden Saber 185 grain standard pressure.
    OldChap and Rock and Glock like this.
    THE CROW

Distinguished Member Array AmmoFan01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The simple answer would be insufficient and inconsistent crimping at the factory. If you had only one of those chambered - ie not clearing a round, inserting a full mag and chambering another round, that is likely the only explanation. Depending on the powder charge, that one on the left could be very dangerous. I would contact Hornady.

I would sure inspect all the others from that lot. You can use a sheet of clear plexiglass, if you have one, to check a bunch at once.
    I agree with this^^^^^
    Itís the ammo not the gun

First I've ever heard of bullet compression. It's a thing!
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Senior Moderator
    That's the most severe bullet setback I've ever seen! Fortunately the .45 ACP is a low-pressure round and probably any pressure increases due to setback won't exceed proof levels.

That's not a winning advertisement for American Gunner ammo.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Itís more commonly referred to as bullet setback. Itís more common in some calibers and with some types of ammo than others.
    msgt/ret, rocky and Freedz like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Setback.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have seen that on rounds that have been chambered multiple times, each time a round is chambered it gets a smack on the nose of the bullet setting it back slightly each time. Myself I never chamber the same round more than twice then it is placed lower in the magazine.
    Those 3 rounds in the picture had only been chambered once. The first round I ejected to load round #1 was in perfect condition.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My suspicion would be brass too soft to hold a firm grip or not sized enough.
    I bought those in bulk and alot of the brass looks excessivly aged..... piss-poor metallurgy.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Those 3 rounds in the picture had only been chambered once. The first round I ejected to load round #1 was in perfect condition.
    That would indicate to me that brand of ammo has a problem with case neck tension.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yep. @goldshellback I'm assuming this was a 1911? Make and model?
    Ruger 1911. Put about 500 rounds through it so far ....a hundred and fifty of those rounds were those hornadys

I had the same issue with the same brand caliber and weight bullet.

However, the other calibers and 45 Auto weights are just fine.
    We should probably contact them and make them aware of it.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links