9mm lethality testing at distance (Sub 2000) - Page 3

9mm lethality testing at distance (Sub 2000)

This is a discussion on 9mm lethality testing at distance (Sub 2000) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LimaCharlie Internet consensus is caliber doesn't matter for self defense. Internet consensus is caliber is critical for bear defense. I had my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 9mm lethality testing at distance (Sub 2000)

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Internet consensus is caliber doesn't matter for self defense. Internet consensus is caliber is critical for bear defense.
    I had my own opinion long before the inet. Along the way I have learned a few things, and confirmed a few things
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Internet consensus is caliber doesn't matter for self defense. Internet consensus is caliber is critical for bear defense.
    Have to admit that is one of the great mysteries of the caliber discussion.
    G-man* and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    M1 carbine: 110 gr HP @ 1900+ fps

Just sayin’...
    Isn't that cartridge notoriously disliked becauwe of it's lack of effective stopping ability? 1900fps is pretty anemic for a rifle.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Actually, there was a study floating around that showed handguns, even properly loaded 9mm, were surprisingly effective at stopping bears. Go figure.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I think the OPs point is that hits can be made at distance with a 9mm carbine, father than most would think. And that it can still be somewhat effective. Kind of like the .30-30, which also gets underestimated. Gotta know the dope, and be able to figure distances.

Pros and cons to everything, debating which is better without setting the mission is pointless.

My son and wife could use my 9mm PC carbine in a civil disorder situation, and it shares mags with my Glock, and my wife’s Glock. Does that make it “better” than my 5.56 carbine, my 12 gauge, or my .30-30? Well, given than neither of them would be able or willing to use the latter three options...yeah, it well might.

Cuda66 likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Actually, there was a study floating around that showed handguns, even properly loaded 9mm, were surprisingly effective at stopping bears. Go figure.
    Actually a .25ACP is all it takes to stop a bear...IF the bear's really hungry and IF you can kneecap your hunting partner.
    viney266 and baren like this.

Bella Twin killed a record Grizzly with a single-shot .22. It is not something I would want to try.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ar-cold-front/
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Bella Twin killed a record Grizzly with a single-shot .22. It is not something I would want to try.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ar-cold-front/
    ^^^^ That is one awesome story, and the skull pics are cool. I will leave that attempt to the experts.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Isn't that cartridge notoriously disliked becauwe of it's lack of effective stopping ability? 1900fps is pretty anemic for a rifle.
    It is anemic for a rifle, but compared to a 124 gr 9x19 at 1100 fps it will get the job done in most home defense situations, especially with newer bullet designs.
    viney266 likes this.
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, I’ll kill you all."
    — James “Mad Dog” Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    It is anemic for a rifle, but compared to a 124 gr 9x19 at 1100 fps it will get the job done in most home defense situations, especially with newer bullet designs.
    But the .30 carbine is a smaller caliber and lighter grain than 9mm Luger. It is far below the 2400fps guide for temporary cavity damage. And it doesn't carry or conceal like a pistol. I can't transport it under my pistol license. 9mm is cheaper and easier to find.

I can carry an AR pistol with better performance in many calibers. I can carry so many better calibers in a carbine. The M1 carbine may be fun for a collector piece. There isn't tactical or legal reason to seek one out.

9mm carbine can only be justified by contorted legal requirements, or just for fun reasons. But I can appreciate that.

But the .30 carbine is a smaller caliber and lighter grain than 9mm Luger. It is far below the 2400fps guide for temporary cavity damage. And it doesn't carry or conceal like a pistol. I can't transport it under my pistol license. 9mm is cheaper and easier to find.

I can carry an AR pistol with better performance in many calibers. I can carry so many better calibers in a carbine. The M1 carbine may be fun for a collector piece. There isn't tactical or legal reason to seek one out.

9mm carbine can only be justified by contorted legal requirements, or just for fun reasons. But I can appreciate that.
    Lighter grain? You mean the wood stock of the M1 has a brighter hue to it than the grainy black plastic if a 9mm carbine?

Because I can’t see how a grain of .30 Carbine bullet is lighter than a grain of 9mm bullet...a grain is a grain, right?

Sorry. Pet peeve when these discussions come up.

And the .30 Carbine is a pretty decent little weapon...very effective at close range, and not handicapped with ball ammo. It’s darn near recoilless, very light and quick handling. I wouldn’t feel underarmed in the slightest if it was what I had to use one for situations where a 9mm AR pistol would also be an appropriate choice.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Lighter grain? You mean the wood stock of the M1 has a brighter hue to it than the grainy black plastic if a 9mm carbine?

Because I can’t see how a grain of .30 Carbine bullet is lighter than a grain of 9mm bullet...a grain is a grain, right?

Sorry. Pet peeve when these discussions come up.
    Grain is a unit of weight. It means that 124 > 110.
    Clear?

There were no semantic or grammatical errors.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Funny thing about the M1 carbine? That has been my wifes go to bug out weapon since we were married 27 years ago. Still is.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Grain is a unit of weight. It means that 124 > 110.
    Clear?

There were no semantic or grammatical errors.
    So, you'd normally say a 4oz steak is “lighter ounce” than a 8oz steak?
    viney266 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links