Sharpened Underwood penetrator VS bullet proof vest - Page 2

Sharpened Underwood penetrator VS bullet proof vest

This is a discussion on Sharpened Underwood penetrator VS bullet proof vest within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Learn to shoot, learn sound tactics and leave the gimmick bullets alone. Making an armor piercing bullet is a federal offense without the proper license....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Sharpened Underwood penetrator VS bullet proof vest

Learn to shoot, learn sound tactics and leave the gimmick bullets alone. Making an armor piercing bullet is a federal offense without the proper license.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viney266 View Post
    "How ya shootin' this morning mack?"

Dead on all morning!

"What about that lil guy?"

Oh, that lil guy?...I wouldn't worry about that lil guy.

Good shooting buddy.
    Thanks, @viney266 .
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

I don't know, attempting to sharpen a metal projectile that is attached to a casing packed with gunpowder sure sounds like a Darwin Award in the making to me...

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Leave the ammo and its design to the professionals. Body armor is not altogether uncommon but certainly more an issue for LE than a civilian.

That said.... center of mass is important but its not everything. The likelihood of your attacker facing you static and squared off like a range target is nil. A couple shots to the CoM will tell you if its wearing armor but, more importantly, it may well serve to slow down the movement of its head. A good high speed slug of traditional service caliber will rain hell upon a BG even if wearing armor (soft). It will throw feces in its game. If your skills are up to it and your head is in the game you will be able to take advantage of a now more cooperative target.

Bad guys with armor are one of the scenarios where magazine capacity and solid counterattack skills/mentality will win the day. You cannot buy your way out with specialty ammo or wecsog'd ammo.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

New Member Array Andyinchville1's Avatar
    HI All,

Thanks for the replies and the welcome to the site .... great place full of info!

In answer to some of the replies and to clarify some points ....

I did mean 45 acp (out of a Glock 21.3) ... I know not the best for penetration BUT that's what modifications are for ;-)

I realize it is not bullet "proof" vest but bullet "resistant" ... I guess I was a little slack on that but I guess you got the gist of what I was going for

I liked the tip for the Honey Badger design ... didn't know about them.... Looks like 3 flute design VS 4 Flutes (One less area / tip to sharpen ? ;-) ) ..... With that I am thinking the next logical step is the straight blade design ( 2 Flutes and 1 sharp edge) ....

I realize bg's in vests would not be the norm but then again I never thought somebody would rob me at gun and knife point .... plan for the worse and hope for the best I guess

I guess if sharpening the points on a bullet is reacted with contempt (?) I probably should not mention also looking into exploding / poison (fast acting) bullets ;-)

I guess I am a tinkerer at heart so I'm always looking outside the box ...

Keep the ideas coming .... Thanks!

( I do like the head shot ideas and different cal guns but money is a little tight of late so it looks like me and the 21 for a bit .... )
    dangerranger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
    ....( I do like the head shot ideas and different cal guns but money is a little tight of late so it looks like me and the 21 for a bit .... )
    I would say you are well equipped. And I understand the urge to modify as I am incurably afflicted by tinkeritis myself ;)
    dangerranger likes this.

I guess if sharpening the points on a bullet is reacted with contempt (?) I probably should not mention also looking into exploding / poison (fast acting) bullets ;-)

YHGTBSM

I keep old ballistic panels for my own experiments. I am surprised at some of the rounds that will pass through them. 17 HMR, and 38 super, being two of them. I was surprised that a field point arrow would pass. It would be interesting to see if a sharp profile would have the same effect. I have some factory .22 shorts that have a pointed tip that looks very much like a field point. I don't give this much chance but I have been surprised before. DR

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    OP, when you sharpen those bullets, keep in mind that you have to do it all equally, down to the micron, all around on each bullet. Any deviation or variance is going to cause a flight path that goes off target. Aerodynamics are important, and any modification to a bullet can cause it to spin out of control in odd directions. This will become more exaggerated the further away the target is.

It's also not going to puncture an armor plate, and likely won't puncture soft armor, as it has to be slow and sharp to cut the cloth.

As far as poison goes... hope you're kidding unless you're looking for a premeditated murder charge.
    Last edited by CreedDryrot; January 2nd, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Bad Bob and Rock and Glock like this.

I would worry that changing the shape of the bullet might cause problems loading into the chamber, maybe.

Like others have said, the odds of going up against somebody with body armor other than law enforcement is really small.
    If you think things are bad for you, Remember there is a Mr. Pelosi!
    Duct Tape may not fix stupid but it sure can muffle the sound! :D
    It isnít the first person who fires who wins gun fights, but is usually the first person to land effective hits.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I keep old ballistic panels for my own experiments. I am surprised at some of the rounds that will pass through them. 17 HMR, and 38 super, being two of them. I was surprised that a field point arrow would pass. It would be interesting to see if a sharp profile would have the same effect. I have some factory .22 shorts that have a pointed tip that looks very much like a field point. I don't give this much chance but I have been surprised before. DR
    Vest panels initial ratings would be important to know, but I'm not surprised one bit about the 17hmr or 38 super [ especially on a 2a rated vest ]. For example, a 2a rated and older vest [ fibers deteriorate over a few years ] wouldn't surprise me at all. Unless it's rated stab resistant, about any vest will not fair well against a pointy blade.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

YHGTBSM
    ESL
    AzQkr likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
    HI All,

Been watching videos and have been quite impressed by the Underwood Penetrator line of bullets (extreme penetrator and extreme defender ones also) .

I have seen videos where arrows can simply slice through bullet proof vests and it got me to thinking ...

If a person sharpened the tips on the Underwood bullets would it cut through a bullet proof vest as well ?

I have looked online but nobody seems to have tried that yet ...

Would it be dangerous to sharpen bullets as part of a cartridge or would the sharpening have to happen on the bullet first then assembled into a bullet later ?

FWIW I carry 45 Cal and am thinking sharpened underwood ammo may be the best in case the BGs come at you wearing vests ....

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    You do know that the question puts you on the FBI watch list - don't you?
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    You do know that the question puts you on the FBI watch list - don't you?
    I rather suspect the OP lives someplace outside the FBI's jurisdiction...likely, someplace where gun ownership ainít allowed, or severely restricted if it is...
    AzQkr and Risasi like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    What a STRANGE thread ! Holy cow.
    AzQkr, graydude and Risasi like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links