Why bullet size matters in officer-involved shootings - Page 2

Why bullet size matters in officer-involved shootings

This is a discussion on Why bullet size matters in officer-involved shootings within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "I do not argue with this decision; however, I believe agents who can control the larger weapons/bullets without a problem should have the choice to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree394Likes

Thread: Why bullet size matters in officer-involved shootings

VIP Member
    "I do not argue with this decision; however, I believe agents who can control the larger weapons/bullets without a problem should have the choice to carry weapons with the larger bullets. This would give them an edge regarding tissue displacement/destruction during a shooting incident where any advantage, however slight, would be welcome".

I can and do! My daily carry are ALL .40 caliber & above. Thanks for posting this, Brownie.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, Militant and 2 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    "I do not argue with this decision; however, I believe agents who can control the larger weapons/bullets without a problem should have the choice to carry weapons with the larger bullets. This would give them an edge regarding tissue displacement/destruction during a shooting incident where any advantage, however slight, would be welcome".

I can and do! My daily carry are ALL .40 caliber & above. Thanks for posting this, Brownie.
    Agreed. Why should anyone be required to carry a caliber simply because its recoil is light enough to be handled by lesser shooters?
    Pete63, Havok, OD* and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I see the writing as a rehash of times past. Yes, for decades bigger bullets meant greater lethality, but time moves on. The author wrote:

Note he states: “I believe” in the first sentence in the quoted section. Everyman is entitled to his beliefs. I prefer to follow scientific testing rather than educated formed personal beliefs. That is why the DOD/LE Joint Task Force wound ballistic testing is my guide. It clearly proves that the 9mm with fluid transfer ammo will outperform all other bullets except 45 ACP JHP with a velocity over 1000 FPS. That 45 spec will be eaqaul to the 9mm fluid transfer bullet.

There is a new standard for wound ballistics forming and the DOD/LE report is on the cutting edge of its findings. Big bullets and jhp are rapidly becoming obsolete.
    Sir, that report looks like a well orchestrated fake, ruse, or advertising.

I searched for the supposed classified version; nada. (Yes, I did this at work at the Pentagon, on the pertinent networks, because if it had verifiable conclusions I could use for courses I manage I wanted to incorporate the info.)

The claim of anonymity is a huge red flag; when DoD approves a public release version there is a public release statement. Misspellings of things no LEO would err on are a clue too.... “Sherriff”, “Marshalls”? Marshalls is a department store. It’s not research I would trust. Some, or many, of the conclusions may be correct, but it appears the document was intended to manipulate readers toward a specific biased conclusion the author(s) intended. It smells mighty fishy.
    Mike1956, AzQkr, OD* and 4 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Same tired rehash of the same old tired argument.

From the article:

Fragmentation: This involves pieces of the bullet breaking up and secondary fragments, such as pieces of bone, which are impelled outward from the permanent cavity. Fragmentation of any significance “does not reliably occur in handgun wounds due to the relatively low velocities of handgun bullets.”
    They were REALLY steering the boat away from magnum revolvers. EVERYONE wanted a wonder nine...... Well, not everyone.
    Pete63, Mike1956, OD* and 6 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Good article. However, a technical point that sticks in my craw (which comes from the original FBI paper, not this author):

"A bullet simply cannot knock a man down. If it had the energy to do so, then equal energy would be applied against the shooter (i.e., recoil) and he too would be knocked down. The amount of energy deposited in the body by a bullet is approximately equivalent to being hit with a baseball."

This is talking about momentum, not energy. A bullet has much more energy than that absorbed by the shooter and gun, and much more than a baseball.
    AzQkr, Bad Bob and ButtShot14 like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I think commonality of weapons, ammo, and mags in a department is a big deal. The idea of officers responding to an incident, with different guns in different calibers, using different mags, makes no sense to me.

The ability to interchange mags and weapons is much, much more important than chasing fractional differences in ballistics.

9mm is a standard caliber the world over for some very good reasons.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    “If you want to give your coppers an even break with present-day gangsters, you want to equip them with the new Super .38 caliber. A gun of that type will shoot a hole right through any bulletproof vest ever made.” ~ Dillinger gang member Leslie Homer

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that the sidearm and ammo that the FBI uses is the best choice for all LEO agencies......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    AzQkr, OD*, Mike1956 and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that the sidearm and ammo that the FBI uses is the best choice for all LEO agencies......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Or for anyone else...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

I searched for the supposed classified version; nada. (Yes, I did this at work at the Pentagon, on the pertinent networks, because if it had verifiable conclusions I could use for courses I manage I wanted to incorporate the info.)

The claim of anonymity is a huge red flag; when DoD approves a public release version there is a public release statement. Misspellings of things no LEO would err on are a clue too.... “Sherriff”, “Marshalls”? Marshalls is a department store. It’s not research I would trust. Some, or many, of the conclusions may be correct, but it appears the document was intended to manipulate readers toward a specific biased conclusion the author(s) intended. It smells mighty fishy.
    Each of us must decide for ourselves what is best for us ourselves, and we must decide who we trust. Yes there are misspellings because those who wrote it are not writers. I have published five books, yet I make more typos here than most. The validity of information is not bas3 upon spelling. It is based upon evidence. Anyone can chose to distrust officialdom’s reports. Anyone can choose to belive advertisers self promoting claims. It is difficult to wade through all of the conflicting opinion and research.

I have researched the ballistic performance of fluid transfer bullets for four years. Everything I found supported the findings of the DOD/lLE Joint Task Force report. None of it was advertising or the opinions of people who have never tested the ammo.

There was time when men believed that motorized flying in the air was impossible. But a decade later they believed. It is true for most technologies. Today flying is a fact of life. In another decade the fluid transfer bullet will be recognized as the best self defense option. Progress takes time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Works for me, Dan !

- testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Works for me, Dan !

Sweet!

I have one ordered.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

It smells a lot like the old Strasbourg goat test.

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I think commonality of weapons, ammo, and mags in a department is a big deal. The idea of officers responding to an incident, with different guns in different calibers, using different mags, makes no sense to me.

The ability to interchange mags and weapons is much, much more important than chasing fractional differences in ballistics.

9mm is a standard caliber the world over for some very good reasons.
    Commonality only matters for the military. There has not been a case where it mattered in LE, not even the North Hollywood bank robbery. If you used up all your ammo and did not solve anything, I am not giving you mine.

9mm.... Meh...
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Each of us must decide for ourselves what is best for us ourselves, and we must decide who we trust. Yes there are misspellings because those who wrote it are not writers. I have published five books, yet I make more typos here than most. The validity of information is not bas3 upon spelling. It is based upon evidence. Anyone can chose to distrust officialdom’s reports. Anyone can choose to belive advertisers self promoting claims. It is difficult to wade through all of the conflicting opinion and research.

I have researched the ballistic performance of fluid transfer bullets for four years. Everything I found supported the findings of the DOD/lLE Joint Task Force report. None of it was advertising or the opinions of people who have never tested the ammo.

There was time when men believed that motorized flying in the air was impossible. But a decade later they believed. It is true for most technologies. Today flying is a fact of life. In another decade the fluid transfer bullet will be recognized as the best self defense option. Progress takes time.

I have not seen one actual ballistics industry expert agree that the so called dod report was legitimate or anything other than bullet manufacturer propoganda. As a matter of fact it has been torn apart as fake What am I missing?
    OD*, graydude, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links