+P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4 - Page 2

+P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

This is a discussion on +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Misty Lu Hmmm. Logically then, while it might be harder on pistols and users, I really don't think this powerful ammo would ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Hmmm. Logically then, while it might be harder on pistols and users, I really don't think this powerful ammo would be issued to police officers if it posed any real threat to them or their pistols.

I'm curious. Would a more powerful recoil spring dampen some of the hammering recoil?
    Yes, you can use a stiffer spring to counter frame battering. I did some research and increased the main spring on my Hi Power and have since shot hundreds of both +P+ and standard pressure ammo with a malfunction.

In a Glock however, I would just leave the stock spring. I have never read this online and don't have any supporting data, but I believe Glocks are oversprung from the factory because they know LEOs will be shooting hot ammo thru them. My main evidence is that the ejection pattern and force from my Glock 19 and Glock 26 are weak with standard pressure ammo, but about right with 9BPLE +P+.
    graydude, Wolf357 and Misty Lu like this.

I believe that one should gather as much information on the subject of +P and +p+ and make a informed decision to carry it or not and take the manufacturers recommendations in to consideration.

For myself personally I carry standard pressure JHPís because I practice with standard pressure ammo 115-124-147 grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    maxwell97 and 1942bull like this.

You guys are funny. Federal 9BPLE is marked +P+, but do you really think that it is that high in pressure? Seriously. It is rated at 1300 fps from a 4" bbl. So, look at Cor-Bon, Underwood, etc. Their +P ammo is rated as fast or faster than that. So you really think the Federal is loading the 9BPLE at much greater pressures to meet the same velocity? Is Federal really that incompetent?

Look at Federal's XM9001 they made for the RCMP. Same bullet, same velocity, but not labelled +P+.....I believe it is marketing.

Load a magazine alternating 9BPLE and NATO ammo, and see if you can feel a difference.
    Wolf357, MMinSC and Bad Bob like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

For me I use regular pressure ammo for practice. My duty ammo is +P. There is no need to use +p ammo for practice, the difference is not significant enough to change it. Once in a while I'll change out my off duty ammo to +p+ depending on weather conditions re: heavy clothing.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
    You guys are funny. Federal 9BPLE is marked +P+, but do you really think that it is that high in pressure? Seriously. It is rated at 1300 fps from a 4" bbl. So, look at Cor-Bon, Underwood, etc. Their +P ammo is rated as fast or faster than that. So you really think the Federal is loading the 9BPLE at much greater pressures to meet the same velocity? Is Federal really that incompetent?

Look at Federal's XM9001 they made for the RCMP. Same bullet, same velocity, but not labelled +P+.....I believe it is marketing.

Load a magazine alternating 9BPLE and NATO ammo, and see if you can feel a difference.
    Case pressure and bullet velocity don't necessarily go hand to hand.

Remember this is an older hollow point design as the first time I ran across the Federal or Remington +P+ load was in the early 1990s. Since then, there has been significant advances in both hollowpoint design and powders.

To answer your question, the 9mm +P+ loading are no where near the pressure the 357sig operates and after shooting thousands upon thousands of those +P+ rounds I have not experienced a single sign of overpressure, no bulged primers, or split cases. I have reloaded the +P+ brass multiple times without any problems.

So, no I do not think the pressure is that high and based on my experience the 40 S&W and 357SIG caused significantly more wear on the same frame than the 9mm +P+.

I have found not all "NATO" 9mm is loaded to the same spec either.

However, I agree that a true NATO 124gr FMJ running at 1200 to 1250 fps is indistinguishable from +P+ round.

Plus, we haven't even touched on 9mm loaded just for subguns.
    Wolf357, MMinSC, Mike1956 and 2 others like this.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
    Case pressure and bullet velocity don't necessarily go hand to hand.

Remember this is an older hollow point design as the first time I ran across the Federal or Remington +P+ load was in the early 1990s. Since then, there has been significant advances in both hollowpoint design and powders.

To answer your question, the 9mm +P+ loading are no where near the pressure the 357sig operates and after shooting thousands upon thousands of those +P+ rounds I have not experienced a single sign of overpressure, no bulged primers, or split cases. I have reloaded the +P+ brass multiple times without any problems.

So, no I do not think the pressure is that high and based on my experience the 40 S&W and 357SIG caused significantly more wear on the same frame than the 9mm +P+.

I have found not all "NATO" 9mm is loaded to the same spec either.

However, I agree that a true NATO 124gr FMJ running at 1200 to 1250 fps is indistinguishable from +P+ round.

Plus, we haven't even touched on 9mm loaded just for subguns.
    I agree that 9BPLE is not nuclear strength +P+ 9mm. At one point I found a post on another forum where a moderator had actually pestered Federal into begrudgingly giving him the chamber pressure of 9BPLE, which as I recall was right at 38.5k PSI so not +P+ at all, just at the very top edge of +P.

That said, it's much hotter than a lot of the JHP ammo out there, has a good track record for stopping bad guys, and is inexpensive to boot. I just wish Federal made a inexpensive, high speed, light weight JHP load in every caliber.
    Wolf357, 7677, 1MoreFord and 2 others like this.

It bears repeating that +P+ has no upper limit. It could be 39,000 PSI or 55,000 PSI. I doubt any marketed factory loading goes much beyond +P pressures, but it's best to know the full details of the load before trying it.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I put a heavier aftermarket recoil spring assembly in my S&W 915 to reduce slide slamming with +P+ ammo. It also keeps the brass from ejecting clear across the firing range, because I reload. Problem solved.

I also use +P+ ammo in my FNP9 with no need for a heavier spring. It handles hotter loads just fine with the stiff factory spring.

I do think the opinionated contention that has developed in this thread about +P+ ammo has surely confused the OP by now. Can we say 'ego' conflict, boys and girls.

I think if a modern pistol can withstand the enormously unsafe pressure generated by factory proof loads before it is allowed to be shipped off to dealers, it can definitely handle +P+ ammo produced by leading manufacturers all day long without suffering any kind of catastrophic incident...

So go for it, Misty Lu. And have lots of fun at the range.
    Misty Lu likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    I put a heavier aftermarket recoil spring assembly in my S&W 915 to reduce slide slamming with +P+ ammo. It also keeps the brass from ejecting clear across the firing range, because I reload. Problem solved.

I also use +P+ ammo in my FNP9 with no need for a heavier spring. It handles hotter loads just fine with the stiff factory spring.

I do think the opinionated contention that has developed in this thread about +P+ ammo has surely confused the OP by now. Can we say 'ego' conflict, boys and girls.

I think if a modern pistol can withstand the enormously unsafe pressure generated by factory proof loads before it is allowed to be shipped off to dealers, it can definitely handle +P+ ammo produced by leading manufacturers all day long without suffering any kind of catastrophic incident...

So go for it, Misty Lu. And have lots of fun at the range.
    Thanks, Wolfie.

I was kinda scratchin' my head about this.

The informational packet Glock provides, or at least used to provide, to police departments indicates that any commercially manufactured ammunition, to include +P+, NATO, IMI black-tip carbine, etc. may be fired in Glock pistols. I would have no concerns about firing this ammunition in Glocks my family owns. In fact I have used thousands of rounds of these types of ammunition in a variety of pistols, revolvers and carbines over a good many years......ymmv
    Wolf357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't run +P+, either. Here is my carry ammo. Check out the price, and the ballistics:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/remi...b-p-97988.aspx
    I really like Golden Saber and with HST going to $30 a box GS has identical performance ( at least in 9mm) for $20.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Glock doesnít recommend +p+ as it is not SAAMI spec ammunition their is no approved pressure for +p+. I have ran Speer Gold Dot +p+ through mine with no ill effect. I havenít shot 10000 rounds of it but I doubt you will either. I switched over to 357 sig to get the same or better velocities with a 125. Keep in mind that glock chambers a gun with the same frame thinner barrel and thinner slide in two cartridges that have considerably higher pressures. But as I said they donít ďapproveĒ it as itís not SAAMI loaded ammunition.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    I'm currently using Magtech copper bullets in my Glock for carry. And they are fairly accurate and don't kick too hard. But I did shoot some Winchester ammo in a box marked +P+ LE. Oh my goodness, it kicked really hard.

Is this +P+ ammo as hard on my pistol as it was on me?
    You may only get 200,000 rounds thru your Glock shooting +p+ ammo VS 250,000 with standard velocity. Many people do not realize that +P+ is not really any higher pressure than +P, it is just loaded at the very top of the pressure for +P.

Seriously though the Glock is fine. If you are using the Glock for SD why would you use a lesser round in it? Even if you destroy the Glock but survive the encounter it is a win. You can always get another Glock, another Mistly Lu, not no easy.
    OD*, Cuda66, TSKnight and 2 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Glock doesnít recommend +p+ as it is not SAAMI spec ammunition their is no approved pressure for +p+. I have ran Speer Gold Dot +p+ through mine with no ill effect. I havenít shot 10000 rounds of it but I doubt you will either. I switched over to 357 sig to get the same or better velocities with a 125. Keep in mind that glock chambers a gun with the same frame thinner barrel and thinner slide in two cartridges that have considerably higher pressures. But as I said they donít ďapproveĒ it as itís not SAAMI loaded ammunition.
    They don't like the old Border Patrol 155's either.
    OD* and Gunnie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    It bears repeating that +P+ has no upper limit. It could be 39,000 PSI or 55,000 PSI. I doubt any marketed factory loading goes much beyond +P pressures, but it's best to know the full details of the load before trying it.
    Wrong. From industry sources it is loaded to the top of the +P scale. What you meant to say was that there is no SAAMI designation for +P+. You want to see hot find some of the old Israeli sub machine gun 9mm ammo.
    OD*, Mike1956, Cuda66 and 4 others like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links