+P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4 - Page 3

+P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

This is a discussion on +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by drmordo I agree that 9BPLE is not nuclear strength +P+ 9mm. At one point I found a post on another forum where ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I agree that 9BPLE is not nuclear strength +P+ 9mm. At one point I found a post on another forum where a moderator had actually pestered Federal into begrudgingly giving him the chamber pressure of 9BPLE, which as I recall was right at 38.5k PSI so not +P+ at all, just at the very top edge of +P.

    That said, it's much hotter than a lot of the JHP ammo out there, has a good track record for stopping bad guys, and is inexpensive to boot. I just wish Federal made a inexpensive, high speed, light weight JHP load in every caliber.
    For what it's worth, I have it from someone I personally know who works for one if the Big 3 ammo companies who told me, in effect, the exact same thing about the +P+ loads...and, that +P loads are just barely over the SAAMI rating for standard pressure (so, if we are talking about 9mm, usually in the 35000-35500psi range).
    Bad Bob, OD* and drmordo like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  2. #32
    Member Array Misty Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    You may only get 200,000 rounds thru your Glock shooting +p+ ammo VS 250,000 with standard velocity. Many people do not realize that +P+ is not really any higher pressure than +P, it is just loaded at the very top of the pressure for +P.

    Seriously though the Glock is fine. If you are using the Glock for SD why would you use a lesser round in it? Even if you destroy the Glock but survive the encounter it is a win. You can always get another Glock, another Mistly Lu, not no easy.
    I'll keep that in mind, Bad Bob. But I will still practice more with less powerful ammo, and save the more powerful stuff for carry.

    Oh, and this world couldn't handle another me anyway, even if I could be duplicated.
    Pete63, OldChap, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.

  3. #33
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    31,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    I'll keep that in mind, Bad Bob. But I will still practice more with less powerful ammo, and save the more powerful stuff for carry.

    Oh, and this world couldn't handle another me anyway, even if I could be duplicated.
    I strongly recommend shooting carry ammo regularly, particularly if it is of the +P variety. The difference in recoil literally makes it shooting a different gun.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Member Array Misty Lu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I strongly recommend shooting carry ammo regularly, particularly if it is of the +P variety. The difference in recoil literally makes it shooting a different gun.
    Oh. Okay, Mike. I'll try to shoot more of that powerful Winchester stuff when I practice.
    OldChap and matthew03 like this.

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    13,803
    I prefer not shooting +P or +P+ ammo in my guns because of added wear. If I feel the need for more power, I go up in caliber and ballistics. It is a great excuse to buy more guns.
    Mike1956, Snub44, Pete63 and 2 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    31,585
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I prefer not shooting +P or +P+ ammo in my guns because of added wear. If I feel the need for more power, I go up in caliber and ballistics. It is a great excuse to buy more guns.
    The added wear issue has been addressed adequately, but I'm right there with you on the larger caliber/ballistics.
    Snub44 and LimaCharlie like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array LimaCharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northwest Oregon
    Posts
    13,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The added wear issue has been addressed adequately, but I'm right there with you on the larger caliber/ballistics.
    I practice with what I carry. I don't have range ammo or range magazines. When I go to the range, the first things shot are the guns I am carrying with the ammo in them and the spare magazines. I want to know that what I carry works as carried.
    Mike1956, Pete63 and matthew03 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array OldChap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,881
    Practicing with expensive ammo can be taken to extremes. When I was competing, I would shoot one mag - 5 rounds of my competition ammo each day. That stuff took me two nights (about 8 hours) to load 100 rounds. I spent the rest of my reloading time putting together less precision loads for practice. I shot thousands of those rounds each week. Had I shot all "good stuff" there simply wouldn't have been enough hours in the week to create that many, not to mention my nerves would have been in tatters!

    To this day, I follow the same pattern. I've never needed to shoot a defensive gun with only defensive loads in it. I still rely on 5 rounds to "proof" the combination, but I only shoot 5 every month. Just me though.



    BTW @Misty Lu My granddaughter just bought herself a Glock 43 (she already has a 17 and a 23) and was texting me about good training ammo and we had these very same discussions. I recommended she get some 124 gr and 147 grain +P HSTs for carry. She bought a bunch of Winchester Train and Defend the local gun store had on sale to practice and prepare for her carry class.
    Misty Lu and Wolf357 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    31,585
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Practicing with expensive ammo can be taken to extremes. When I was competing, I would shoot one mag - 5 rounds of my competition ammo each day. That stuff took me two nights (about 8 hours) to load 100 rounds. I spent the rest of my reloading time putting together less precision loads for practice. I shot thousands of those rounds each week. Had I shot all "good stuff" there simply wouldn't have been enough hours in the week to create that many, not to mention my nerves would have been in tatters!

    To this day, I follow the same pattern. I've never needed to shoot a defensive gun with only defensive loads in it. I still rely on 5 rounds to "proof" the combination, but I only shoot 5 every month. Just me though.



    BTW @Misty Lu My granddaughter just bought herself a Glock 43 (she already has a 17 and a 23) and was texting me about good training ammo and we had these very same discussions. I recommended she get some 124 gr and 147 grain +P HSTs for carry. She bought a bunch of Winchester Train and Defend the local gun store had on sale to practice and prepare for her carry class.
    I get my +P carry .45 rounds for forty cents a pop, delivered to my door. My 9mm +Ps run about .31/round. Not cheap by any stretch, but certainly affordable enough to shoot a few regularly.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The BAD lands
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I strongly recommend shooting carry ammo regularly, particularly if it is of the +P variety. The difference in recoil literally makes it shooting a different gun.
    Personally I don't notice a difference with 9mm. I can tell the difference between 180 grain 40 S&W and the hotter 155 JHP ammo.
    Mike1956, OldChap, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

  12. #41
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion county, Ohio
    Posts
    31,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Personally I don't notice a difference with 9mm. I can tell the difference between 180 grain 40 S&W and the hotter 155 JHP ammo.
    It is much more noticeable in my .45s, for sure.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array Bad Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The BAD lands
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I prefer not shooting +P or +P+ ammo in my guns because of added wear. If I feel the need for more power, I go up in caliber and ballistics. It is a great excuse to buy more guns.
    I don't worry about the wear, but I am no fan of cartridges that need to be +P to be effective.
    LimaCharlie and Pete63 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

  14. #43
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I don't worry about the wear, but I am no fan of cartridges that need to be +P to be effective.
    Well, when looking for a satisfactory round there's chamber pressure and then there's social pressure. And don't forget the pressures of functionality and accuracy. (whatever that is)

    The only thing I am sure about is a gun has more range than a stick or a sword.
    Snub44 and Bad Bob like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

  15. #44
    VIP Member
    Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,390
    "Reach out and touch someone" surely has its own appeal...sticks and swords get a whole lot more messy.
    Bad Bob likes this.

  16. #45
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Wrong. From industry sources it is loaded to the top of the +P scale. What you meant to say was that there is no SAAMI designation for +P+. You want to see hot find some of the old Israeli sub machine gun 9mm ammo.
    Well, yeah, there's no published standard for 9mm +P+. I'm sure you're right that most manufacturers don't greatly exceed +P, but they aren't breaking any rules if they do. There's an element of "buyer beware" that's not present with standard ammo.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

glock 9mm p

Click on a term to search for related topics.