+P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

This is a discussion on +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm currently using Magtech copper bullets in my Glock for carry. And they are fairly accurate and don't kick too hard. But I did shoot ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: +P+ 9mm Ammo in My Glock 19 Gen 4

I'm currently using Magtech copper bullets in my Glock for carry. And they are fairly accurate and don't kick too hard. But I did shoot some Winchester ammo in a box marked +P+ LE. Oh my goodness, it kicked really hard.

Is this +P+ ammo as hard on my pistol as it was on me?
    OldChap, BamaT and ETXhiker like this.

Senior Moderator
    Depends on the pistol. I'd have more faith in a Glock's tolerance for the hot stuff than, say, a Taurus. I just wouldn't plan on shooting thousands of rounds of the hot stuff through the gun.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Glocks are tested for and safe to use with NATO spec 9mm which is hotter than standard ball ammo and as I understand it is close to +P+ pressure. So I wouldn't worry too much.
    Livin' the Life!
    NRA Patron Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

As @gasmitty said...In a Glock you're okay. I would recommend you not make a regular habit of shooting the +P+ because it causes things to wear faster - maybe. In the case of the Glock, it may not. Anyway, I use inexpensive range ammo (FMJ) for practice. That stuff makes a Glock 19 purr!
    Misty Lu likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

When I bought my Gen 4 19 a few years ago which was my first gun.

My LGS recommendation was not to feed a steady diet of + p or +p+

I read the same thing on another forum post from years back quoting a Glock tech.

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads...ock-say.37755/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OldChap and Misty Lu like this.

VIP Member
    Here is the best price I've found on it, free shipping if ordered by the case:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...le-p-3012.aspx
    OldChap, seebee62 and Misty Lu like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is the best price I've found on it, free shipping if ordered by the case:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...le-p-3012.aspx
    I buy ammo from Target Sports USA.
    I use their Prime Ammo deal. Free shipping on 1 box or 1 case and itís discounted.

Misty Lu and Mike1956 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
    I buy ammo from Target Sports USA.
    I use their Prime Ammo deal. Free shipping on 1 box or 1 case and itís discounted.

That's where I buy most of my ammo from anymore. That free shipping on top of their occasional great per round price makes them hard to beat.
    seebee62 likes this.

Just me, but I donít shoot +P+ ammo in any pistol.
    There are no standards for +P+. So some could be loaded really hot creating unsafe pressures, but what do I know.

Shucks, I donít shoot +P in some as recommended by the manufacturer.
    maxwell97, Hoganbeg and matthew03 like this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    Just me, but I donít shoot +P+ ammo in any pistol.
    There are no standards for +P+. So some could be loaded really hot creating unsafe pressures, but what do I know.

Shucks, I donít shoot +P in some as recommended by the manufacturer.
    I don't run +P+, either. Here is my carry ammo. Check out the price, and the ballistics:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/remi...b-p-97988.aspx

+P+ ammo can be harder on a firearm no matter how good it is built. As an SD round, I'm not convinced the small gain in velocity is worth the punishment on firearm and shooter.
    In the late '80's I got a really good price on S&B 9mm that is NATO spec and chronographed at 1320fps from my Ruger P89. Still have a couple of cases left. I had no problems with it, but not sure I would want to have a steady diet of it. Back then I was shooting IPSIC matches regularly and quickly realized that my course times were slower when using the hotter S&B.
    BamaT, Misty Lu and ShooterGranny like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

The agency I work for used to issue Remington or Federal 115gr +P+ depending who won the contract that particular year. We shot thousands of those rounds through our 2nd gen Glock 19s without any I'll effect. Some of the older guns ran it for over 10 years.

At my prior department, I carried a Glock 31 with a Glock 33 as my off duty/bug and as the department armor worked on Glock 22, 23, and 27 and I saw more wear the 40S&W and 357sig guns that had a quarter of rounds our 2nd gen Glock 19s did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Mike1956, Misty Lu and MMinSC like this.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

Quote Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
    The agency I work for used to issue Remington or Federal 115gr +P+ depending who won the contract that particular year. We shot thousands of those rounds through our 2nd gen Glock 19s without any I'll effect. Some of the older guns ran it for over 10 years.

At my prior department, I carried a Glock 31 with a Glock 33 as my off duty/bug and as the department armor worked on Glock 22, 23, and 27 and I saw more wear the 40S&W and 357sig guns that had a quarter of rounds our 2nd gen Glock 19s did.

Hmmm. Logically then, while it might be harder on pistols and users, I really don't think this powerful ammo would be issued to police officers if it posed any real threat to them or their pistols.

I'm curious. Would a more powerful recoil spring dampen some of the hammering recoil?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Lu View Post
    Hmmm. Logically then, while it might be harder on pistols and users, I really don't think this powerful ammo would be issued to police officers if it posed any real threat to them or their pistols.

I'm curious. Would a more powerful recoil spring dampen some of the hammering recoil?
    I've done that on a .45 acp to offset the effects of .45 Super ammo. It immediately caused function issues. Come to think of it, I also tried aftermarket springs in my Glock 17 many years ago. Again, immediate function issues.

You have to understand govt contracts and the fact that other agencies piggy back on contracts. Many without any understanding of what they are ordering. In other words, because large agency Y issues brand X ammunition means it is good enough for small agency Z.

When the round was selected, the manufacturer said no problem but then changed their stance later to you're on your own but the real reason we changed ammunition was due to agency Y switching over to 357sig and the contract was closed.

Changing recoil springs will help with the recoil but it takes some T&E work to find the optimum spring weight. This is also something that the manufacturer doesn't supply and is not supported by the warranty.

I did not find the recoil of the +P+ in the Glock 17, 19, or 26 to be anywhere near the level generated by the 357, especally the G33. I find shooting the G29 in 10mm to be more pleasant than G33.

"TOUJOURS PRET"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links