9mm +p 124 or 147 grain in shield PC 2.0

This is a discussion on 9mm +p 124 or 147 grain in shield PC 2.0 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If one was gonna carry +p 9mm federal law enforcement tactical hst ammo in a shield 2.0 PC, would you go for the +p 124 ...

View Poll Results: Which 9mm federal law enforcement HST

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 124 grain +p

31 43.06%
  • 147 grain +p

6 8.33%
  • 124 grain standard

22 30.56%
  • 147 grain standard

13 18.06%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 9mm +p 124 or 147 grain in shield PC 2.0

If one was gonna carry +p 9mm federal law enforcement tactical hst ammo in a shield 2.0 PC, would you go for the +p 124 or +p 147? Or just get the standard load in 124 or 147?

I carry the 124's during the late spring into early fall months and switch to the 147's for winter.

124 standard for me in a standard (non PC) shield.
    OldChap likes this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Depends on which one that particular gun likes.
    OldChap likes this.

I carry CorBon 115 JHP +P in my Sig P938.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I carry 9BPLE in my Nano. It does quite well in gel tests I have seen out of a 3" bbl, and the street record of the 9BPLE is the envy of all others.

Don't forget most of these FBI compliant loads are designed to be fired out of 4"+ barrels....
    Bad Bob likes this.

I shot HST 147 +P from a ported Shield through 4 layer denim into water filled gallon jugs, it expanded.
    147 +P HST is what is in my wife's Ruger 1911, indicative of what I think is best.
    OldChap and Pete63 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I carry a Shield 2.0 and after testing 124+P and 147 gr I settled on 147 gr standard pressure HST's for that, my CM9, and my G26. The simple reason is that my follow-up shots came quicker and were more accurate than with the +P's.
    When you're only including modern, top-tier SD bullet designs like the HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Hornady, the difference in terminal performance between weights and pressures is a) relatively tiny and b) very difficult to quantify and get any kind of consensus on. That's why we keep having this debate. So rather than worry about which version may or may not penetrate or expand marginally better, depending on the specifics of the shot that are impossible to predict anyway, I'll go with the one that lets me get multiple shots on target most effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by TokShifter View Post
    I carry a Shield 2.0 and after testing 124+P and 147 gr I settled on 147 gr standard pressure HST's for that, my CM9, and my G26. The simple reason is that my follow-up shots came quicker and were more accurate than with the +P's.
    When you're only including modern, top-tier SD bullet designs like the HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Hornady, the difference in terminal performance between weights and pressures is a) relatively tiny and b) very difficult to quantify and get any kind of consensus on. That's why we keep having this debate. So rather than worry about which version may or may not penetrate or expand marginally better, depending on the specifics of the shot that are impossible to predict anyway, I'll go with the one that lets me get multiple shots on target most effectively.
    Excellent answer. In 9mm I use +P HST's in my Sub 2000 Carbine and AR pistol, but I also carry some even hotter stuff for them. Mrs. OldChap carries a Shield 9mm and she likes the standard pressure loads. I have some 147's stocked up as well, but we haven't been carrying them.

The best answer is as you said: Carry what you shoot well in a name brand defensive load. You'll be fine.
    Chicagobill likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Well, I have shot critters with both WWB 115gr JHP, Win Ranger 127 +P+, and Mullins loaded Rem 115gr +P+ JHPs, usually with a hysterical wife screaming at me to 'hurry up and kill them'. For the life of me, I cannot ever remember:

1. Any felt recoil, at all.
    2. Any muzzle flash at all - most raccoons and possums were shot at night..
    3. Any difference between the DA/SA trigger pull of the B92FS.

And there was no difference in the performance of the plain Jane WWB and the +P+ JHPs.

Does it mean anything? I don't know. Just my experience.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Ranger 147 Win, Standard pressure. Love them. Quite accurate, reasonable recoil.

100m accurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I carry CorBon 115 JHP +P in my Sig P938.
    I carry the same. Unfortunately, that wasn't a choice in the poll, so I voted as close as I could get it.
    scottync likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

I didn't vote because it isn't necessarily the velocity, but the projectile design. Consistent penetration and expansion is what one is looking for. Of course, the perfect answer hasn't been invented yet.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

I carry 124 gr Gold Dot +P short barrel year round in my 9mm's but I would be good with 124 gr HST +P as well. Any 124 gr bonded major brand 9mm is GTG as far as I am concerned for SD. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    They all run fine though mine, but I have a theory that the lighter bullets/lighter load are more consistent. Based purely on different results on different days using different loads, the lighter load groupings are tighter. 115g WWB compared to 147g +P HST and 147g Ranger. I've never done a side by side comparison. I'll do one some day, but with warm weather finally arriving, it's not going to happen soon.

BTW It's currently loaded with the aforementioned HSTs and Rangers
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links