Hornady Critical Defense

Hornady Critical Defense

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious how others feel about this ammo. I load Critical Duty 135g +P in my home defense pistol but have come to be fond of ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By triplets
  • 1 Post By buckwheatpaul
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 6 Post By KevinRohrer
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 9 Post By Bad Bob
  • 4 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense

Hornady Critical Defense

Curious how others feel about this ammo. I load Critical Duty 135g +P in my home defense pistol but have come to be fond of the the 115g Critical Defense for my carry gun. I know itís not a a barrier blind load and doesnít penetrate much beyond 12/13 inches in ballistic testing. But itís soft shooting, easily controlled and in a close quarters encounter (the most likely for a CCW carrier) the light weight bullet gives me a sense of comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TSKnight likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I like both of your choices but like the Critical Duty better......When I was working the streets I liked the Critical Defense loads as Critical Duty was not being made then. I worry about over penetration and hitting someone or something behind the bad guy if I have to use the weapon. I also like your thoughts about softer shooting as the better you control your gun the more accurate you should be and followup shots will be quicker as you will be back on sight quicker.
    TSKnight likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Use the Critical Defense. It I designed for close quarter encounters while Critical Duty has been designed for longer range shooting and barrier penetration. Both will serve you well, but you are likely to be more accurate with Critical Defense within a 10 yard range. As for gel penetration stats the tests you see are inconclusive at best because gel tests require meeting tight specs on temperature and distance and synthetic gel tests are not conclusive. Organic gel is needed to meet FBI standards under critically controlled temperatures and distances. Assuming the bullet is 9mm or greater the Critical Defense willmoffer excellent lethality probability. The variable will be whether you can hit center mass,
    TSKnight likes this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    I like and use Critical Defense in my home defense M1 Carbine, and consider it the perfect home defense weapon.

Hornady Critical Defense-img_2795.jpg
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

I chose to go with the Hornady LeveRevolution FTX rounds for my .357 magnum. I started using them before the Critical Duty/Defense lines were available. and they shoot well through my revolver.

I love critical defense for shorter barreled guns. Have my M&P9c loaded with it and the spare mag. Iím carrying both as a I type this. But, Iíve never SHOT anyone with it.

I use it because I enjoy that it hits same POI as my usual practice ammo, is soft recoiling, and easy to locate in stores. Another plus is all of the tests I have seen proves the design works. It will open up reliably through just about anything. Iím sure there are better loads out there, but this one I feel will perform when called upon.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, ďWhat kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?Ē He replied: ďA republic, if you can keep it.Ē

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    . But, Iíve never SHOT anyone with it. .
    If you ever do have to shoot someone with it you can be certain that they will wish you had missed.
    TSKnight and smolck like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

We never used to worry about "barrier blind" we just carried 357 magnums. Turning cover into concealment since 1935.
    TSKnight, Kenny53, OD* and 6 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Itís simple. Critical Defense was designed for short barrels. Critical Duty is designed for duty length pistol barrels of at least 4 inches.

My biggest complaint is the cost. Iím about at the point where Iím going to clear out all the high dollar whiz bang ammo, and just go with JHPs I can afford to actually shoot. Iíve seen the old 9BPLE in bulk at reasonable prices, and thereís an outfit out there I saw on Yankee Marshalís channel, minutemanammo, that seems to have defensive ammo at reasonable prices.

As as long as it goes bang and hits to POA, all else is a crap shoot.
    TSKnight, flh, smolck and 1 others like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Have to agree with most of what's been said so far.
    Critical Defense and Critical Duty are designed with different objectives in mind. Both will give good results when applied as intended. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

Here is a discussion on some real world results from 115grn Critical Defense. *sarcasm engaged*
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...lure-stop.html
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Have to agree with most of what's been said so far.
    Critical Defense and Critical Duty are designed with different objectives in mind. Both will give good results when applied as intended. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

Here is a discussion on some real world results from 115grn Critical Defense. *sarcasm engaged*
    https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...lure-stop.html
    Interesting thread. My friend shot a pit bull that was attacking his cat with his 9mm M&P and critical defense. One shot, dead dog. Most threats we face will be bugging out quick when the lead starts flying. For those that may not, Iíve got 13-15 rounds to make my point. Whether it is critical defense or some other bullet, shots on target matter most.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, ďWhat kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?Ē He replied: ďA republic, if you can keep it.Ē

Sponsored Links