Best Total Synthetic Jacket Ammo For Target Practice

This is a discussion on Best Total Synthetic Jacket Ammo For Target Practice within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that I'm creating a bio-hazard in my back yard, so I'm looking at the Total Synthetic Jacket ammo for practice. Can anyone recommend ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatchee
  • 6 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By RedSafety
  • 6 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By seebee62
  • 1 Post By snakyjake
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Best Total Synthetic Jacket Ammo For Target Practice

Ex Member

I think that I'm creating a bio-hazard in my back yard, so I'm looking at the Total Synthetic Jacket ammo for practice. Can anyone recommend a specific 9mm brand that cycles well thru a P365?
    snakyjake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I think that I'm creating a bio-hazard in my back yard, so I'm looking at the Total Synthetic Jacket ammo for practice. Can anyone recommend a specific 9mm brand that cycles well thru a P365?
    Are you shooting depleted Uranium bullets?
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Senior Moderator
    What specifically is your concern? Lead in the ground?
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    Sorry, I thought the sarcasm was evident. But I would like to find out which TSJ cycles thru the P365.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Only one I know of, in the stores anyway, is American Eagle. It's reasonably accurate. I don't recall how well they grouped when I only shot them. Right now they are the last 4 rounds of a group of 48 at the range. Supposedly the syntechs can clean the barrel a bit. Couldn't hoit.
    Hatchee likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Sorry, I thought the sarcasm was evident. But I would like to find out which TSJ cycles thru the P365.
    Well, we get all sorts of odd questions asked here, so it wasn't clear. You need a lot more exposure to OldVet to master the art of subtle sarcasm.

However: high-tech coatings have become quite popular these days. The coating itself will have less to do with how well the ammo runs in your gun than the overall length of the round, and the bullet shape. I haven't shot any commercially available coated-bullet ammo in my guns, but competitive shooters (me included) use coated bullets for lots of reasons. They achieve required power factors with lower powder charges than jacketed or plated bullets, and there's a lot less smoke than with uncoated cast lead. Zero leading and deposits in the gun's bore, and depending on the coating, compensators don't load up with deposits as quickly. Reduced exposure to lead while handling the bullets for reloading and less air-borne lead when fired are secondary benefits.

If you choose a brand such as Federal Syntech, I bet you'd find the bullet profile and cartridge OAL are nearly identical to their uncoated rounds. For the cost of two boxes of ammo and a few targets, I think a brief range test comparing the same weight bullet coated vs FMJ from one maker would be useful and informative for the DC membership. Chrono results (if you have one available), practical accuracy at maybe 7 and 15 yards and a subjective assessment of loading, feeding/cycling and cleanliness would be good points to cover.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I donít have a 365 but Fed Syntech functioned flawlessly through my P320 and my other 9mm pistols

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hatchee likes this.

Just some extra info...
    I contacted Federal a while ago and was told their synthetic coating is harmless to suppressors, and alleviated my concerns fouling my suppressor.
    Hatchee likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Just some extra info...
    I contacted Federal a while ago and was told their synthetic coating is harmless to suppressors, and alleviated my concerns fouling my suppressor.
    True - it's harmless, but as with compensators, that doesn't mean there won't be some trace deposits that accumulate over time.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Are you concerned about copper jackets? It is harmless, but oxidizes.

You may be concerned about lead. Total metal jackets are available. But it would be easier to use copper/ lead free.
    Psalm 144:1

Sponsored Links