Fortunately, I reload

Fortunately, I reload

This is a discussion on Fortunately, I reload within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I generally split the ammunition costs for 9mm and 5.56. When it comes to hunting calibers, I am on my own.......

Like Tree36Likes
  • 10 Post By G26Raven
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 9 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By hogdaddy
  • 2 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By mcp1810
  • 3 Post By Rabbit212
  • 2 Post By TimGunn

Thread: Fortunately, I reload

Fortunately, I reload

My wife and I generally split the ammunition costs for 9mm and 5.56. When it comes to hunting calibers, I am on my own....

Fortunately, I reload-65879830_2367920659917607_7128830883049504768_n.jpg
    msgt/ret, OD*, Texas Red and 7 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

For some of my guns I have to reload since ammo is no longer available and for a few I must form the ammo from other calibers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I've made wildcat calibers before: .30 Herrett from .30-30 cases, 6mm Mongoose from .223 cases. I like the unusual cartridges as long as they're not to involved in making the cases. Some are as easy as running one common cases through a die and out comes the newly formed one. Some not quite so easy. I can also make .300 Blackout from .223 and 9mm Makarov from 9mm Lugar.

It's not for everyone, but it's nice to hold up a finished round that you've created from scratch.
    TSKnight, Old Man, DZUS and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I load most of my handgun calibers & a few hunting rifles, As already said it's nice to know you can make some cartridges ; )
    H/D
    msgt/ret, Old Man and G26Raven like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I don't reload much at all, only 45 acp.

Handload - new brass - thats the only way I feed my 10mm's
    My two 10mm handloads are a 150 JHP @ 1,400 fps and a 180 JHP @ 1,228 fps from a 5'' barrel.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    My wife and I generally split the ammunition costs for 9mm and 5.56. When it comes to hunting calibers, I am on my own....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65879830_2367920659917607_7128830883049504768_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	297700
    I could swap "Ammo Order" for "Powder & Primers Order" for the same effect. I normally drop $6-700 at a whack when the mail order companies have their "free shipping and no hazmat" deals. Best way to make reloading cost effective is to buy in bulk. Luckily my wife's used to it...
    G26Raven and dangerranger like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I could swap "Ammo Order" for "Powder & Primers Order" for the same effect. I normally drop $6-700 at a whack when the mail order companies have their "free shipping and no hazmat" deals. Best way to make reloading cost effective is to buy in bulk. Luckily my wife's used to it...
    Same here. I don't actually order much factory ammo. My wife uses my reloads and she's good with that.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Reloading has never tempted me, for the following reasons:
    • No place in my house to really set it up.
    • For what I would spend to get set up, I could buy a lot of ammo and I don't shoot that much.
    • It seems like a boring, repetitive task, which is not what I like to do.
    • There are other ways to practice: Dry fire, the pencil technique, laser ammo, wax bullets, etc. I think burning powder is overrated as an improvement method. Some live fire is important, just not a lot of it.
    • I should spend more time practicing. Spending time reloading would just take away from the little time I do spend practicing.
    • If something happens to one of my guns, having shot handloads will likely invalidate the warranty.
    • I only shoot common calibers and they can often be found on sale as cheap as reloading.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I reload for just about everything I own except .380 and .223.

Tried reloading .380 once. Not fun.
    .223 I can generally get cheap enough that it isn't worth my time to load practice ammo and I don't go through enough hunting ammo in .223 to take the time to reinvent the wheel.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I reload everything I can. I am currently cleaning and sorting about three and a half gallons of once fired 9mm brass. I have probably a couple hundred .38/.357 and .45 and maybe one hundred each of .223 and .308.

I am loving hand tools for brass prep. I can sit in my recliner with a gladware full of brass on one side and an empty ammo can on the other and just sit with a hand primer and watch a ball game.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I enjoy reloading as much as range time.
    TimGunn, DZUS and G26Raven like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Reload for eleven calibers. I find it stress relieving to reload. I have a fairly stressful job and reloading really helps. There have been times I came home from work and just by the look on my face, my wife points at the reloading room and says "1 hour". Plus the money I save is a bonus. I even cast for 5 different calibers.
    DZUS and G26Raven like this.

Have reloaded: .38 Spec, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, 9x19mm Para, 9x18mm Makarov, .45 ACP. .30 Herrett in handguns; .30-06, .300 Blackout, .223/5.56, and 6mm Mongoose in rifles. 20 and 12 gauge shot shells also. The .30 Herrett and Mongoose are wildcats made from other cases. A lot of work but fun to make.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links