.40 S&W self defense rounds - Page 2

.40 S&W self defense rounds

This is a discussion on .40 S&W self defense rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are two loads in .40S&W which I prefer and use in my .40 caliber carry guns. One is the Federal HST 165 grain load ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: .40 S&W self defense rounds

There are two loads in .40S&W which I prefer and use in my .40 caliber carry guns. One is the Federal HST 165 grain load and the other is the "hot" Speer Gold Dot JHP 165 grain load (#53970). The reason I prefer the 165 grain loads is that they are being carried in guns with barrel lengths of four inches to 3.5 inches. In those lengths, a 165 grain bullet will accelerate faster than a 180 grain bullet.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    My personal experience with Hornady XTP hasn't been as great as everyone else. I was on the range when an officer two stalls down had his gen 2 or 3 Glock have a catastrophic misfire while using that stuff. The gun literally came apart while shooting. I cannot say for sure, but I don't think it was a failure of the G22. I honestly don't know what happened. I've also had an XTP fail to eject from my 45 XDs. The same box functioned flawlessly in my XD-45.
    First, XTPs are a bullet not a round. Second, FTE from a single weapon isn't evidence of anything. Finally, catastrophic failure of a Glock is possibly due to the round but could be age and use (Gen2) and poor technique (squib not cleared during rapid fire). So, since XTP is a bullet design and sold by Hornaday to hundreds of companies (many reloaders use it).......
    5lima30ret, G-man* and OldChap like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I carried Underwood 155 grain XTP .40 S&W ammo in my Glock G35.
    DrummerMike and OldChap like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry XTP's in my "Get Home Bag" for my Glock 22 and my Kel Tec Sub 2000.Attachment 298688
    OldChap likes this.

We issue 165 gr Federal HST. It has performed well for us in OIS's. I'm sure the 180 gr HST would do just as well.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

I have never been impressed with the Hornady line. It is marginally better through auto glass and sheet metal.

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST, both in 180gr are at the top. I wouldn't make an argument against the PDX-1 or Ranger series though.
    5lima30ret and OldChap like this.
    Psalm 144:1

The box said HORNADY. The Glock looked to be in very good shape. It was the first round fired from that gun on that day. That's not to say that a squib load hadn't been fired previosly. I know what he bought because I was there. You weren't. So quit trying to tell me what I witnessed.

I personally load Federal HST in all of my defensive handguns period.
    OldChap, Nmuskier and Bigsteve113 like this.

I purchased a S&W SD40 in excellent condition for my sonís 21st birthday since he was into .40 cal. I try to stay away from that it simply to avoid stocking another caliber. We went to the range and pulled it out for him to try without telling him it was going to be a gift. Unfortunately, he wasnít wild about the way it fit his hand so, Iím now stocking another caliber. He still got one of my G21s, though. As for ammo, my LGS bought out another store and i was able to get 8 boxes of Golden Sabers for $10/box.
    5lima30ret, OldChap and Sister like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Try a PowRBall!

I have good luck with most 180gr and 165gr ammo. I usually carry Federal 165gr HST as it is the easiest I can find on shelves.
    However, sometimes I can find some Glaser PowRBall by Corbon in .40cal in the LGS. Their 135gr round is advertised at 1325fps! Noticable difference in report, recoil and muzzle flash. That round is cooking. Unfortunately, it's harder to find on shelves and most places won't ship directly to private residences here in NY (despite being legal) for fear of running afoul of these idiotic and confusing laws. They will only ship to FFLs and the ones around me charge a fee for receiving ammo shipments. The fees plus shipping just don't make it cost effective to order ammo online. Sorry to go on a tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by blueronin View Post
    The box said HORNADY. The Glock looked to be in very good shape. It was the first round fired from that gun on that day. That's not to say that a squib load hadn't been fired previosly. I know what he bought because I was there. You weren't. So quit trying to tell me what I witnessed.
    Don't get all twisted up.

Witnessing is fine, but actually determining what happened is usually reserved for a gunsmith or certified armorer. Kind of like seeing a plane crash. Until the experts comb through the wreckage, the cause remains a mystery.
    PPS1980 and Sister like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    My go to is Winchester 180 gr. RA40B bonded HP. This is one of the former FBI-approved loads.
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

True.

I use Hornady Critical Defense in my .40 BHP and have had no problems.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

I carry the 155 JHP's. 180 grain JHP's in the 40 tend to act just like 185 grain 45 ACP JHP's. If I was buying 40 ammo for SD I would definitely carry some 135 grn JHP's. The 155's and 135's tend to perform like a 357 magnum with similar bullet weights.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785725644857
    PhaedrusIV, Wolf357 and Sister like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links