Federal XM9001 115 gr +P 9mm JHPs at good price

This is a discussion on Federal XM9001 115 gr +P 9mm JHPs at good price within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Target Sports USA has these rounds at $280 for a case, or $0.28 ea. For that price, this seems like a JHP that you can ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 7 Post By 10thmtn
  • 2 Post By rock185
  • 4 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By LouisianaMan
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Federal XM9001 115 gr +P 9mm JHPs at good price

Target Sports USA has these rounds at $280 for a case, or $0.28 ea. For that price, this seems like a JHP that you can actually afford to train with.

Near as I can tell, this is an update to the old 9BPLE load, but with perhaps different powders so it is a +P, not a +P+...yet it seems to generate the same velocity (listed as 1300 fps). It's not listed as +P, but the notes state it is.

I know the Hi-Shok bullet isn't the latest and greatest, yet the 9BPLE seemed to have a great street reputation. This load seems to duplicate it, perhaps with slightly lower pressure.

Is there any reason NOT to buy these? Would be used in a Gen 3 G19, a Gen 3 G26 (with a G19 barrel) and a Ruger PC carbine. Would be nice to train with the same load I carry, and to get away from premium whiz-bang loadings.

Thanks
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I carry this. I used to carry 9bp but that’s gotten harder to find, and I often carry a 3.2 inch barrel px4cc now so wanted a bit more oomph. I believe you’ll find the velocity to be closer to 1225 FPS, a kind of intermediate between 9bp and 9bple at 1300.

I train with Fiocchi or lawman fmj with similar numbers.

Ymmv
    audite semper, semper discendum

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    That is a good price and good ammo...it would get the job done...on the cheap...not really, but cheaper.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

That's a good buy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array muzzleblast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Target Sports USA has these rounds at $280 for a case, or $0.28 ea. ... Is there any reason NOT to buy these? ...
    Apparently this was a standard load used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Can't speak to "street creds", but, I'd doubt it is significantly less effective than 9BPLE. YMMV...
    It's been my observation that the first few shots are the most important ones and that we will run out of time before ammunition unless our "problem" is quickly "solved." - Stephen A. Camp

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction..." Ronald Reagan

I've used a fair amount of the XM9001, have carried it, and have chronographed it in several different types of guns. FWIW, in a SIG P229 with 3.9" barrel the 9BP averaged: 1095 FPS, the XM9001: 1152 FPS, the 9BPLE: 1253 FPS. The Federal 115 JHP in all three versions has been reliable in all of my guns, and has proven satisfyingly accurate in all of them.
    10thmtn and LouisianaMan like this.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    The ammo is good and the price is exceptional. I bought 400 rounds of the 147gr the other day.

Ex Member
    Target Sports USA is about the only place I buy ammo anymore. Great deals, free shipping, prompt service.

Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    I've used a fair amount of the XM9001, have carried it, and have chronographed it in several different types of guns. FWIW, in a SIG P229 with 3.9" barrel the 9BP averaged: 1095 FPS, the XM9001: 1152 FPS, the 9BPLE: 1253 FPS. The Federal 115 JHP in all three versions has been reliable in all of my guns, and has proven satisfyingly accurate in all of them.
    Rock, thanks for the chronograph info on those three loads! I've shot a fair amount of 9BP, read about the +P+, but know nothing about the XM 9001 except the info on the Target website, which I don't consider definitive. Good to hear about your experience with these loads. Makes sense that the XM 9001 was intended to be a +P load, at least in terms of comparative velocity, fitting in between the well-known standard pressure and +P+ loads.
    10thmtn likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Target Sports USA is about the only place I buy ammo anymore. Great deals, free shipping, prompt service.
    Yup.....^^^this^^^…
    Mike1956 likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

In my testing, the XM9001 performs very similarly to the +P+ 9pble but with a little less velocity. Visibly the bullet looks to be the same but the 9pble has a nickel case and sealed primer.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...allistics-gel/

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...allistics-gel/

I’ve almost used up my stock of 9mm FMJ. Will buy a case of this next time it’s available and start training with what I will carry.

This will also mean a switch back to my G26 instead of my .45 G30, which I’m fine with. Being able to afford to carry the same load you train with is a significant advantage IMHO.
    LouisianaMan likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Sponsored Links