Glock 19, 32, 23 You have all. Which would you carry - Page 5

Glock 19, 32, 23 You have all. Which would you carry

This is a discussion on Glock 19, 32, 23 You have all. Which would you carry within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oldchap you left out a vote for three calibers, one pistol. I vote glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel, a stock ...

View Poll Results: Which would you pick? Read parameters before voting, please.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm Glock 19

35 52.24%
  • 357 Sig Glock 32

10 14.93%
  • 40 S&W Glock 23

22 32.84%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Glock 19, 32, 23 You have all. Which would you carry

Quote Originally Posted by oldchap View Post
    you left out a vote for three calibers, one pistol. I vote glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel, a stock 357 sig barrel, and the stock 40 barrel. Why limit yourself to just one?
    Bingo !!!!
    OldChap and DavesYourUncle like this.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

Glock 23 for me ! I like the 9mm, but I like .40 better. The .40 gives me a lil more power, good capacity, common ammo in my region and in a nice sized package. And Ö. I shoot it well.

I've tried to embrace the 9mm more lately, I even carried my G26 at work for a few months. I actually liked it a lot, but then I came to realize that I just preferred my .40's. I think me being such an outdoorsman, that I just rather the bigger, heavier bullets for critters. And those same bullets happen to work well of humans too.

I haven't given up on the 9mm, and I wouldn't cry if that's all I had, but I just feel that the .40 covers more of my needs, which include self defense against humans Ö.. but also includes protection in the outdoors. My Smith 66 4" is my dedicated woods gun, but I have actually have used my G27 in the outdoors more than my Smith, because that's just what I always happen to have on me when a critter needs dealing with.

Plus, my G23 shoots 9mm accurately and flawlessly with my Lone Wolf .40-9mm barrel and G19/17 mags, should I decide to shoot 9mm.

I like to play these apocalyptic games. But, I had an epiphany a few years ago when it comes to scrounging ammo in an apocalyptic event. The theory is that 9mm will be plentiful, followed by .45. I came to realize that if the event is so bad, that ammo scrounging becomes a necessity, and there is so much fighting that I have to scrounge for ammo, that I will either: A) be dead or B) I'll just take the ammo and the guns that shoot that ammo, from the battlefield while I'm scrounging !! I mean, whoever I take the ammo from.....probably ain't gonna need the gun anymore either !!
    G-man*, Wolf357, Struckat and 3 others like this.
    ďOut of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.Ē

― Heraclitus

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I do have all and I have a G32 with light as my night gun.
    CDW4ME likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    It's the single-minded Glock mafia... :)
    Not single minded, not Mafia.

I am a 1911 guy, A smith revolver guy. I carried a Beretta or an H&K 40 as a duty gun for about 15 years. I had 15,000 rounds thru my H&K P2000 and still sold my USP/C when I retired and carry a Glock.

I can't hurt the Glock, it carry's well and shoots well. I modified mine to fit me.
    G-man*, Misty Lu and PhaedrusIV like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Not single minded, not Mafia.

I am a 1911 guy, A smith revolver guy. I carried a Beretta or an H&K 40 as a duty gun for about 15 years. I had 15,000 rounds thru my H&K P2000 and still sold my USP/C when I retired and carry a Glock.

I can't hurt the Glock, it carry's well and shoots well. I modified mine to fit me.
    Same here. The just work.
    Bad Bob, Misty Lu and PhaedrusIV like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I’d pick and do carry 9mm. With modern ammo all of the common pistol calibers perform the same. Preferably Federal HST 147gr is my choice.

Pistols are all poor man stoppers compared to rifles and shotguns, as in they all just poke holes in people. So it makes sense to go with the one that has higher capacity and less recoil/faster follow up shots. Glock 19 Gen 5 for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glock 19, 32, 23 You have all. Which would you carry-f7a54af4-41e9-4a98-814f-44fe2d4ccc5a_1564609265804.jpeg  

Misty Lu likes this.

nice repeat of all the tacticool instructor/FBI propaganda that is so popular here on the internet, anyway you slice it the 9mm and all the magic ammo is still at the bottom of the service calibers no matter how much y'all are scream there is no difference...E=MC2 math never lies,speed kill and big speed kills it deader
    Wolf357, forester58 and Bad Bob like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman View Post
    nice repeat of all the tacticool instructor/FBI propaganda that is so popular here on the internet, anyway you slice it the 9mm and all the magic ammo is still at the bottom of the service calibers no matter how much y'all are scream there is no difference...E=MC2 math never lies,speed kill and big speed kills it deader
    I might disagree with some of what you stated. But I do concur that velocity combined with a properly designed bullet will get the job done efficiently as long as the shooter does their part... Regardless of handgun caliber.

As for the FBI reports. Aside from their stipulating the necessity for a properly designed bullet, they would have us believe velocity is not an important factor to consider. Frankly, I think the FBI and other Federal agencies are issued ammo that will probably never be available to private citizens. And their agents are instructed to keep their mouths shut about this little morsel of classified ordnance information.

I would like to speculate that their secret ammo probably consists of both superior anti-personnel and AP abilities, which require a high velocity to achieve.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    And those would be..........?
    Not to sound like a Glock fan boy but............I am waiting.......

There are many outstanding alternatives to a glock, but here are mine:

CZ 85 B - my weapon of choice - see video

Sig P226 - I've fired one many times

Beretta 92FS - my carry weapon in the service, also fired many times

Springfield Armory XD-M - my brother's weapon of choice
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

There are many outstanding alternatives to a glock, but here are mine:

CZ 85 B - my weapon of choice - see video

Sig P226 - I've fired one many times

Beretta 92FS - my carry weapon in the service, also fired many times

Springfield Armory XD-M - my brother's weapon of choice
    None of those you mentioned are more reliable than a Glock. As reliable? Maybe.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    My Glock 45 Chopped to 19 Grip Size
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

None of those you mentioned are more reliable than a Glock. As reliable? Maybe.
    Please cite the 10-year, field conditions study involving a randomly selected sample representing the population as a whole. State hypothesis(ses), tests, methodology, controls, double-blinds, etc., along with observed abnormalities, summary statistics, conclusions, and calls for further study.

Or, perhaps that's merely your opinion... ?

The following gent didn't conduct a ten-year study, but he did conduct a twenty-year period of expert, hands-on observation:

I spent over 20 years in the US Army Infantry with the M9 Beretta and about 15 years as a Police Officer with the Glock 22 and 23. In the early 1990ís I bought a Glock 21, by the late 1990ís I bought another Glock 21. I have bought other Glocks in the 2000ís. I own a few Beretta 92ís as well. The Glocks are neat, but many times are over hyped or technology caught up to them after a few years.

Pistols like the much older and still current Beretta 92/M9 and the new Sig P320/M17(8) have done as well or better than the Glocks for reliability in tests and real world use.

This is not to say the Glock is bad. The Glock was great design and offering that proved it self. But in some ways it gets over rated or hyped. People did all sorts of crazy tests to show how great they could be in situations most guns were not designed for as they were not buried in mud, or frozen in ice and then shot.

Glocks are on their 5th major design change. Their changes came from issues that arose and they are far from as reliable as many think.

Unsupported chambers in the 40 S&W help feed ammo, but have been a factor in Glocks exploding vs other pistols with supported chambers doing better. The Glocks are not designed for lead bullets and the barrel can have issues and cause the Glock not to work. Trigger springs have broken and the gun will not fire. The dual recoil springs failed and Glock issues recalls and fixes.

I have seen many Glocks jam at Police training courses and at range qualifications. I have read up on numerous failures with Glocks in the line of duty. But on the flip side there are more Glocks out there than most other pistols. So it might be like the old Toyota pick ups that were made out to be great as they were made in small numbers and when they mass made them to compete in America it turned out they are just average for issues.

Today the Glock is just another good pistol. It comes in many sizes and calibers. It is a simple gun to operate (other than the pull trigger to take apart). It fits a general use design for carry, home defense, and range use. Itís low maintenance/cleaning from dirt and sweat. Many guns donít check all those blocks. Itís not a bad pistol and up there with the better ones. But I would disagree itís the most reliable vs the Beretta M9A3, Sig M17, or even Colt M45A1 based on the Military testing all of them. But the Glock still does see Military service, and due to low cost still is used by majority of Police. Lots of Glock armors out there who can work on themÖ

Source, where many other posters there share his opinion.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect everything else.

Please cite the 10-year, field conditions study involving a randomly selected sample representing the population as a whole. State hypothesis(ses), tests, methodology, controls, double-blinds, etc., along with observed abnormalities, summary statistics, conclusions, and calls for further study.

Or, perhaps that's merely your opinion... ?

The following gent didn't conduct a ten-year study, but he did conduct a twenty-year period of expert, hands-on observation:

I spent over 20 years in the US Army Infantry with the M9 Beretta and about 15 years as a Police Officer with the Glock 22 and 23. In the early 1990ís I bought a Glock 21, by the late 1990ís I bought another Glock 21. I have bought other Glocks in the 2000ís. I own a few Beretta 92ís as well. The Glocks are neat, but many times are over hyped or technology caught up to them after a few years.

Pistols like the much older and still current Beretta 92/M9 and the new Sig P320/M17(8) have done as well or better than the Glocks for reliability in tests and real world use.

This is not to say the Glock is bad. The Glock was great design and offering that proved it self. But in some ways it gets over rated or hyped. People did all sorts of crazy tests to show how great they could be in situations most guns were not designed for as they were not buried in mud, or frozen in ice and then shot.

Glocks are on their 5th major design change. Their changes came from issues that arose and they are far from as reliable as many think.

Unsupported chambers in the 40 S&W help feed ammo, but have been a factor in Glocks exploding vs other pistols with supported chambers doing better. The Glocks are not designed for lead bullets and the barrel can have issues and cause the Glock not to work. Trigger springs have broken and the gun will not fire. The dual recoil springs failed and Glock issues recalls and fixes.

I have seen many Glocks jam at Police training courses and at range qualifications. I have read up on numerous failures with Glocks in the line of duty. But on the flip side there are more Glocks out there than most other pistols. So it might be like the old Toyota pick ups that were made out to be great as they were made in small numbers and when they mass made them to compete in America it turned out they are just average for issues.

Today the Glock is just another good pistol. It comes in many sizes and calibers. It is a simple gun to operate (other than the pull trigger to take apart). It fits a general use design for carry, home defense, and range use. Itís low maintenance/cleaning from dirt and sweat. Many guns donít check all those blocks. Itís not a bad pistol and up there with the better ones. But I would disagree itís the most reliable vs the Beretta M9A3, Sig M17, or even Colt M45A1 based on the Military testing all of them. But the Glock still does see Military service, and due to low cost still is used by majority of Police. Lots of Glock armors out there who can work on themÖ

Source, where many other posters there share his opinion.
    One guys opinion.

I carried a Beretta 96D for a few years (until the frame broke) The 92 is no daisy either. The XD? Please.......

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/05...re-test-ocean/

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2...torture-tests/

And they work.

LMAO, yes some "Design Changes" were adding finger grooves or accessory rails.

Unsupported chambers in the 40 S&W help feed ammo, but have been a factor in Glocks exploding vs other pistols with supported chambers doing better.
    In the Glock it was quickly addressed with a new barrel. How did Beretta fix the issue with the 96D, Oh yea they didn't, they just suggested lowering the pressure of the round. My issue Beretta lasted about 2500 rounds before the frame broke. Many Beretta slides broke injuring the shooter.

The Glocks are not designed for lead bullets and the barrel can have issues and cause the Glock not to work.
    If you are not a competitive shooter that is irrelevant, if you are just clean the barrel periodically.

Trigger springs have broken and the gun will not fire.

How many have you seen do this? The gun will fire, you just need to reset the trigger manually.

The dual recoil springs failed and Glock issues recalls and fixes.
    And no other gun has had teething problems with new products? Sig? too many to mention XD? rear frame lugs breaking off? Beretta? Frames and slides breaking?

Come on dude, at least be objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    Glock 23 for me ! I like the 9mm, but I like .40 better. The .40 gives me a lil more power, good capacity, common ammo in my region and in a nice sized package. And Ö. I shoot it well.

I've tried to embrace the 9mm more lately, I even carried my G26 at work for a few months. I actually liked it a lot, but then I came to realize that I just preferred my .40's. I think me being such an outdoorsman, that I just rather the bigger, heavier bullets for critters. And those same bullets happen to work well of humans too.

I haven't given up on the 9mm, and I wouldn't cry if that's all I had, but I just feel that the .40 covers more of my needs, which include self defense against humans Ö.. but also includes protection in the outdoors. My Smith 66 4" is my dedicated woods gun, but I have actually have used my G27 in the outdoors more than my Smith, because that's just what I always happen to have on me when a critter needs dealing with.

Plus, my G23 shoots 9mm accurately and flawlessly with my Lone Wolf .40-9mm barrel and G19/17 mags, should I decide to shoot 9mm.

I like to play these apocalyptic games. But, I had an epiphany a few years ago when it comes to scrounging ammo in an apocalyptic event. The theory is that 9mm will be plentiful, followed by .45. I came to realize that if the event is so bad, that ammo scrounging becomes a necessity, and there is so much fighting that I have to scrounge for ammo, that I will either: A) be dead or B) I'll just take the ammo and the guns that shoot that ammo, from the battlefield while I'm scrounging !! I mean, whoever I take the ammo from.....probably ain't gonna need the gun anymore either !!
    First thing I have to say is I own and carry 380,38,9mm,357 magnum and 45 acp. Lets say for a minute that I buy this "all calibers preform the same with modern ammo mantra". OK, there are several apparently widely accepted exceptions to this that I see repeated here often and those are as follows. " If I lived in a 10 round limit state I would carry a bigger caliber". I have to ask why on this. If 9mm is easier to control and makes for better follow up shots and is cheaper to practice with than why would someone say the above? The second statement is even more confusing to me. "If I was restricted to FMJ I would carry a bigger caliber". Again, why? Do you really believe that a JHP is really that magical? The biggest head scratcher to me is my ammo stock is almost all FMJ because I can't afford to stock 1,000's of rounds of JHP ammo so after my 2 to 4 boxes of "carry ammo" is exhausted in some kind of shortage or societal collapse I am , by default, carrying FMJ...right? I stock more 45acp and 357 magnum FMJ than 380 or 9mm, you do what works for you.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar

Just like Realestate.

Placement/Placement/Placement!

Sticking whichever pistol you are carrying (and you have to have it on your person) out in front of you, with no sight picture, and triggering rounds, puts you in the field of luck!

Punching your Glock 19 forward, into your sight picture, and firing with controlled trigger presses.
    Is a winner.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links