got some bullet setback , would you still shoot?

This is a discussion on got some bullet setback , would you still shoot? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed My carry ammo in my Ruger LCP looked rather short and didn't want to chance shooting it or carrying it any longer. The ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: got some bullet setback , would you still shoot?

I noticed My carry ammo in my Ruger LCP looked rather short and didn't want to chance shooting it or carrying it any longer. The following are the Overall length "OAL" of the cartritges

Brand new never cycled in the pistol is .968" when I measured some extra ammo I had still new in the box.

Used, as in cycled through many unknown times during unloading and reloading of pistol for cleaning, or dryfire.

Are these still serviceable you think?

I cycled a batch of reloads and commercial .45 rounds ten times each and they setback from .010 to .002, and not the ones you might think were the worst. I don't put much thought into setback. I'd fire them at the range, buy some fresh one, and stop recycling ammo so much.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Fmj or hp? +P or not? I would not run the shortest 3 thru an LCP. a more substantial barrel should be ok.
    PPS1980 and usmc0811 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

flh
    Ammunition is cheap, fingers not so much....
    Bad Bob, usmc0811 and CDW4ME like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Senior Moderator
    Max setback of 0.044" is not a lot. Shoot it and don't give it a second thought.

Setback of 0.10" in .380 would cause me concern.

My Lyman manual shows 90 gr loads of 0.900" OAL, and I think that's a reasonable lower limit for OAL.
    Havok and OldChap like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I noticed My carry ammo in my Ruger LCP looked rather short and didn't want to chance shooting it or carrying it any longer. The following are the Overall length "OAL" of the cartritges

Brand new never cycled in the pistol is .968" when I measured some extra ammo I had still new in the box.

Used, as in cycled through many unknown times during unloading and reloading of pistol for cleaning, or dryfire.

Are these still serviceable you think?
    I would not fire the bottom 4 or 5. It does not take much setback to increase pressure. The correct way to cycle rounds is once it is chambered and unchambered it gets put down one in the mag then you are never continually cycling the same round. Once they have all been chambered you replace them and shoot them up. Are you one of those guys that loads and unloads all the time? My carry guns get chambered and left that way.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=171
    OldChap, usmc0811 and PPS1980 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Max setback of 0.044" is not a lot. Shoot it and don't give it a second thought.

Setback of 0.10" in .380 would cause me concern.

My Lyman manual shows 90 gr loads of 0.900" OAL, and I think that's a reasonable lower limit for OAL.
    Your Lyman manual also lists a much more conservative load than a factory load with canister powder.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    I measure and mark my in-gun carry ammo and put the longest in at the top. After a few times in and out of the chamber it gets cycled down into the magazine. Another option is to fire the chambered round when out on the range and replace it after range time.
    OldChap and usmc0811 like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

flh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails got some bullet setback , would you still shoot?-img_1795.jpg  

Bad Bob and PPS1980 like this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Risky, of course, but, out of irresistible curiosity, I once fired several Federal 9BPLE +P+ rounds that were fully setback in my S&W 915 without inducing a dreadful chamber detonation.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I'm not current on what powders the various factory loads use, but the 380 is like the 45 and 38 Special. There are older guns in these calibers still in service that cannot tolerate high pressures, so I expect everything from a factory is loaded fairly conservatively.

IIRC the real issue is when you compress the powder charge. At that point, you really need to watch for pressure signs. Not really an easy thing to do with an autoloader. You've gotten some good advice already. I would shoot the ones with a small amount of setback, and if I didn't feel good about the shorter ones, I'd just throw them away at the range. Ammunition is fairly cheap.

And stop chambering and re-chambering so much. I only rechamber when I clean my carry gun.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    Risky, of course, but, out of irresistible curiosity, I once fired several Federal 9BPLE +P+ rounds that were fully setback in my S&W 915 without inducing a dreadful chamber detonation.
    Smith 915 is not an LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Smith 915 is not an LCP.
    I'm aware of that. But, regardless of the firearm involved, I'm no longer that concerned with bullet setback.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    And stop chambering and re-chambering so much. I only rechamber when I clean my carry gun.
    Yeah I know the only reason I rechamber is when Im cleaning and have removed that round from the chamber to do the cleaning or the same for when I want to dryfire, that round needs to be out of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    I dry fire without snap caps but I need to remove the chambered round before I can dry fire and I always put that round back in when done, not always the same round but one of them gets chambers, some more than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links