Alternating/mixing ammo - Page 2

Alternating/mixing ammo

This is a discussion on Alternating/mixing ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ammo that doesn't cause malfunctions should never cause malfunctions when mixed. If the slide/bolt moves all the way to the rear, the fact that the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Alternating/mixing ammo

Ammo that doesn't cause malfunctions should never cause malfunctions when mixed. If the slide/bolt moves all the way to the rear, the fact that the previous round already down range was a 147 grain HST doesn't matter to the gun or tothe 115 FMJ being stripped of the magazine.
    I almost always shoot a mixed magazine when trying a new ammo to make comparison of recoil impulse flash, and point of impact.

The only reason mixing is a problem for practical applications is point of impact shift (which you can avoid by careful testing and selection), and recoil impulse (which you can also avoid by careful testing and selection)
    As long as you select 2 rounds that have the same point of impact and same feel, I can't objectively argue against it.
    Hatchee and Bozz10mm like this.

Senior Moderator
    No advantages to mixing ammunition, but it does smack of of a certain inexpert indecisiveness.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The old time engineer speaks here: The question isn't WHY NOT? The question is WHY?

As has been said, the best practice is to carry only one type for defense. When I feel I might need a different load, I carry a second mag loaded that way, never mixing rounds in the same mag.

If all else fails, carry two guns, one loaded with the one load and the other loaded with the other load.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I recall this idea of mixed ammunition type being discussed in firearms periodical's for revolvers during the late nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies. The conclusion was it was an idea without merit for law enforcement applications.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    When I was growing up, the chief of police was a family friend. Though retired, he still is. He told me that he carried magazines that were staggered with JHP and FMJ. His logic was to cover the possibility of having to shoot through something, wall, door, car or anything a bad guy might use for concealment. I can understand that logic although I've never staggered ammo for SD purposes.
    Has anyone tried turning the country off and then back on again?

to me it doesn’t make sense to fill the mag with different types of ammo. I either have enough faith in my ammo to carry a mag or two full of it, or I don’t have enough faith to carry it at all. If I think the second type of ammo that I mix in is better, then I would just carry that, rather than mixing it in with my first type.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

My reasoning not to do so is, how do you know which round you need when? And how are you going to select said round, eject live rounds until the right one chambers, or just fire away until it comes up? Dance with what you brung.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I load the magazine with one type of HP bullet that I think is good for SD (whether its Gold Dot, HST, or Ranger) and that has been tested in the pistol.
    If I was concerned with attack by a bear then all the bullets in the magazine would be what I would want to defend against a bear with.

380 aint cutting it for either of those categories in bold, regardless of bullet, for me.
    Cornhusker95 and M1911A1 like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
    Ammo that doesn't cause malfunctions should never cause malfunctions when mixed. If the slide/bolt moves all the way to the rear, the fact that the previous round already down range was a 147 grain HST doesn't matter to the gun or tothe 115 FMJ being stripped of the magazine.
    I almost always shoot a mixed magazine when trying a new ammo to make comparison of recoil impulse flash, and point of impact.

The only reason mixing is a problem for practical applications is point of impact shift (which you can avoid by careful testing and selection), and recoil impulse (which you can also avoid by careful testing and selection)
    As long as you select 2 rounds that have the same point of impact and same feel, I can't objectively argue against it.
    Thank you!! This mirrors my thoughts exactly. I was just unsure if there are any proven functional problems with doing so. But I am glad to find out that almost everyone here has an opinion or three!
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    No advantages to mixing ammunition, but it does smack of of a certain inexpert indecisiveness.
    Well Mr Expert. Care to provide the facts to back up your claim.

Geez, I come here to ask a simple question and all I get (with 2 exceptions) are smart ass replies. I'm out and good health to all of you!
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  12.7 KB
    OD*, retired badge 1 and ETXhiker like this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post

Geez, I come here to ask a simple question and all I get (with 2 exceptions) are smart ass replies. I'm out and good health to all of you!
    I would suggest asking better questions.
    Cuda66, OD* and retired badge 1 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Thank you!! This mirrors my thoughts exactly. I was just unsure if there are any proven functional problems with doing so. But I am glad to find out that almost everyone here has an opinion or three!
    Name:  Opinions.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  20.3 KB
    OldVet, Cuda66, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member

Good Gawd, are people really that thin skinned?

How the heck do you handle any true adversity in your life?
    OldVet, Cuda66, OD* and 1 others like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Tough crowd...

Name:  thKBFOQMS2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  24.7 KB
    PEF and OD* like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links