Alternating/mixing ammo - Page 3

Alternating/mixing ammo

This is a discussion on Alternating/mixing ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hatchee Well Mr Expert. Care to provide the facts to back up your claim. Geez, I come here to ask a simple ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Alternating/mixing ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Well Mr Expert. Care to provide the facts to back up your claim.

Geez, I come here to ask a simple question and all I get (with 2 exceptions) are smart ass replies. I'm out and good health to all of you!
    Just hang in there and suck it up....After 359 posts you should know the game by now.
    Not everyone is gonna agree with you and some may poke fun at you.
    It's just a forum....Take the good with the bad and roll on.
    OldVet and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    And then we ponder why with 110k + members we only have a couple of hundred that routinely post. Tough crowd.

I don't mix. Like others, I find one round that is reliable I like and stick with it. The only time I've ever heard of a ammo company recommending mixing rounds was LeHigh Defense. When I was having trouble with their eXtreme Penetrator failing to feed the first round in my Kahr P380. They sent me a free box of their Controlled Fracturing round with the recommendation to use it as the first round followed by the XPs or alternating between the two bullets. Their recommendation did work, but at a $1.35 per round I decided to just use Precision One XTPs at half the cost.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    And then we ponder why with 110k + members we only have a couple of hundred that routinely post. Tough crowd..
    Well, he did ask the ad nauseum question that invariably has the same consensus--No!

Now if he had asked something like, should I make every fifth round a tracer, then I'm sure a lot of former GIs would have said yes. For when it's too dark to see your sights and the target too, you know?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Geez, I come here to ask a simple question and all I get (with 2 exceptions) are smart ass replies. I'm out and good health to all of you!
    Someone touched a sensitive spot, I guess.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    And then we ponder why with 110k + members we only have a couple of hundred that routinely post. Tough crowd.

I don't mix. Like others, I find one round that is reliable I like and stick with it. The only time I've ever heard of a ammo company recommending mixing rounds was LeHigh Defense. When I was having trouble with their eXtreme Penetrator failing to feed the first round in my Kahr P380. They sent me a free box of their Controlled Fracturing round with the recommendation to use it as the first round followed by the XPs or alternating between the two bullets. Their recommendation did work, but at a $1.35 per round I decided to just use Precision One XTPs at half the cost.
    That's pretty much the norm with most internet forums. Lots of one-and-done members.
    OD* likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, he did ask the ad nauseum question that invariably has the same consensus--No!

Now if he had asked something like, should I make every fifth round a tracer, then I'm sure a lot of former GIs would have said yes. For when it's too dark to see your sights and the target too, you know?
    I liked for every third round to be a tracer. Just a personal preference.
    OD* and 5lima30ret like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I liked for every third round to be a tracer. Just a personal preference.
    Going right to the tracer war, aren't you...
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTsu View Post
    Ammo that doesn't cause malfunctions should never cause malfunctions when mixed.
    Agreed, it shouldn't but it can and it does. A frequent cause is varying overall lengths and/or different bullet profiles. In 9mm in particular with its tapered case, the length of the second topmost round in the magazine can alter the angle of the top round and thereby affect where the bullet nose contacts the feed ramp. Whether or not it ties up any individual gun depends on the gun, the magazine and the rounds.
    OD*, G-man* and retired badge 1 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Guys, thanks for the input, but I just want to know if there is a known physical/functional reason not to mix. Does it increase the likelihood of FTE/FTF or is it merely an old wives tale?
    I don't see how. If your gun will run through 10 mags of all FMJ and 10 mags of hollow points, it should run through 10 mags mixed. The firearm won't know or care if it's a different round moving into the chamber.

I have seen this same question before either this forum or another. Most the answers were the same. I believe my answer was I don't see the point. I have done mixed loads when doing a mag dump or when I didn't have enough Defense ammo to fill the mag. Any way find a ammo that works in your gun and use it. If you want to mix your ammo that is up to you. If you don't like people being mean to you, keep quite.
    retired badge 1 likes this.

As Willie would say...He Gone!

Senior Moderator

I regret that you're displeased with the responses, but you did ask: "Your opinions?" That opened the door and invited in every respondent who has give you the benefit of his opinion.

It's a forum. Courteous debate should occur. If we're all just going to come here for mutual back-slapping each other's notions while singing refrains of "Kum Ba Yah" then we could find better venues than an electronic forum for doing so. Besides which, I don't want to get stuck next to OldVet who is certain to be unable to carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it.

To me alternating rounds looks daft, irresolute, and immature. It indicates a lack of confidence in one's own abilities. It says "noob" for all to see. Of what value could it be? Is a person going to keep up with the loaded order once he's involved in a gun fight? Is he going to know just which style bullet is being launched with each successive pull of the trigger? What if it's the "wrong" style of bullet at the wrong time? Does he keep spraying and praying until he can fling some of the "right" bullets?

Either you trust your ammunition choice or you don't. Hedging your bet by alternately loading different types of ammunition is a crutch that only gives a false sense of trust.

I got my first handgun at 18. My imagination ran away with me and I dreamed up scenarios where alternately loading the revolver with +P Super Vel 110 grain jacketed hollow points and handloaded "nuclear-powered" 200 grain Remington lead round nose bullets seemed like the best idea for dealing with any defensive situation. Why, I was going to have the mauling expansion of high velocity hollow points backed by the bone-crushing penetration of heavy weight lead!

It took me no time at all to realize that shot placement was the critical component that effectively dealt with varmints and critters so was certain to be critical for stopping actual assailants. I don't recall that I ever went through with schemes to alternately load the revolver.

But it sounded good inside my little pea-brain at the time.

A better forum debate would be: Why would alternating rounds be superior to any single ammunition choice in loading a firearm for personal defense? In what way(s) could the practice be considered advantageous?

If alternating cartridge of different performance characteristics is better than relying on a single choice then why isn't staging three different cartridges even better? Or four different cartridge choices?

If staging three or more different cartridge types appears daft, then why is alternating two different cartridge types not daft, but rather is advantageous?
    OD*, G-man*, Mike1956 and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I can carry a tune just fine in a bourbon barrel, assuming it is ever emptied and filled with tunes instead of being refilled with bourbon. Why one would choose tunes over bourbon totally escapes me.

Because of ever increasing bourbon expenses, buying more than one type of ammo is not in the cards, so I have only one type at a time anyhow. Mixing them is moot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links