45 short barrel

45 short barrel

This is a discussion on 45 short barrel within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a revolver guy and know quite a bit about proper defensive ammo for various revolvers, but semi automatics, not so much. I've watched a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 45 short barrel

45 short barrel

I'm a revolver guy and know quite a bit about proper defensive ammo for various revolvers, but semi automatics, not so much.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and done some googling about short barrel 45acp defensive ammunition and have come to no conclusions about what is the most reliable penetrator and expander in a 3.3" barrel.

I've been carrying short barrel Gold Dots in my Shield, mostly because I like them in 9mm, 38 special, and 357 magnum.

So what do you guys and gals like to carry in your short (3.3") barrel 45s ?

IMHO the hype & marketing for high priced "defensive" ammo is just that. Hype. Any ammo from a reputable manufacturer (ball or JHP) will get the job done. There are many here that have actually seen what a standard .45 acp round does to a human.

Whatever round you plan to use for your EDC you have to train shooting that round.

[edit]

I EDC a Kimber SIS Ultra Carry (3" in .45acp). I train with it weekly putting 100+ rounds of JHP carry ammo through it.
    G-man*, baren, ETXhiker and 5 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Senior Moderator
    Federal 185 JHPs in the Shield 45.
    OldChap and Shootnlead like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The only round that functions reliably in my SA Micro Compact is WWB 230gr JHP Personal Defense, at $o.72 a round I see no need for the $1.00+ boutique ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I'm a revolver guy and know quite a bit about proper defensive ammo for various revolvers, but semi automatics, not so much.

I've watched a lot of YouTube videos and done some googling about short barrel 45acp defensive ammunition and have come to no conclusions about what is the most reliable penetrator and expander in a 3.3" barrel.

I've been carrying short barrel Gold Dots in my Shield, mostly because I like them in 9mm, 38 special, and 357 magnum.

So what do you guys and gals like to carry in your short (3.3") barrel 45s ?
    A 4" Performance Center barrel. I don't know if they are separately available or not, but the increased effective range for me is very noticeable.

I carry 165 grain CorBon +P or Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P.
    Bad Bob and CavemanBob like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Federal 230 gr. HST or
    Winchester 230 gr. Ranger T
    ďI wonít be wronged, I wonít be insulted, and I wonít be laid a hand on. I donít do these things to other people and I require the same from them.Ē John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A 4" Performance Center barrel. I don't know if they are separately available or not, but the increased effective range for me is very noticeable.

I carry 165 grain CorBon +P or Remington Golden Saber 185 grain +P.
    How's that Corbon do with POA VS POI?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

My last short barrel .45 I stoked with 230gr+P Ranger-T.

Personally, Iíd go with any quality 230gr JHP (HST, R-T, Gold Dot, Golden Saber). If +P rounds arenít found to be detrimental to recoil control and follow ups, it'd likely be a good choice.

Lucky Gunner has a very good test of various ammo through short barrels; itís a good resource to begin with that at least gives apples to apples comparisons.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I use 8.5 gr of HS-6 with a 200 gr Berry's Hybrid Hollow Point, CCI primer. In my ATI Titan 1911.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

I like these two for short barrel use:

-Federal HST
    -Speer 230 gr Short barrel
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

I use plain ol Remington green and white box ammo. Itís an old fashion cup and core bullet style, but itís accurate in my guns, and comes in a box of 100 rounds for under 50 dollars which means you can actually shoot what you carry, compared to the little 20 round box boutique ammo that runs you over $20.

With the 45 starting out at almost 1/2 inch in diameter, all I consider is reliability, accuracy and price.
    msgt/ret, Mike1956, OD* and 5 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    IMHO the hype & marketing for high priced "defensive" ammo is just that. Hype. Any ammo from a reputable manufacturer (ball or JHP) will get the job done. There are many here that have actually seen what a standard .45 acp round does to a human.

Whatever round you plan to use for your EDC you have to train shooting that round.

[edit]

I EDC a Kimber SIS Ultra Carry (3" in .45acp). I train with it weekly putting 100+ rounds of JHP carry ammo through it.

I was thinking about loading up some Gold Dots as close to factory specs as I could get and train with them. And maybe even carry them, when my factory Gold Dot supply runs dry.
    ETXhiker and Hoganbeg like this.

I carry 230 grain HSTs in my Shield 45 and Glocks. All except the G21 which runs 45 Supers.

A long time ago I did some testing that determined that the 45 got little benefit from a longer barrel. The main thing a long barrel did was give a better sight base. I would like to see some modern testing done over a chronograph to see if that still holds true.

I have witnessed the effectiveness of 45 HST in actual use. Quick termination of the threat. I'm sure other modern loads work also.
    ETXhiker, Old Man and forester58 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I have done no scientific testing of any kind but, I had a lot of boxes of Hornady 200 grain +P with the XTP bullet (given to me by Kimber friends years ago because those guns would not feed them reliably) and they work fine in my 4.25" 1911 as far as reliability and accuracy so I carry those with one spare mag of the same and one spare mag of Underwood 255+P hardcast for when I find myself in areas that require larger 4 legged defense. To tell the truth many brands of plain ol hardball would be fine with me in 45 but, since the JHP feed well. why not?

I carry .45 ACP 230-grain HPs and don't ponder a lot on what they'll do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links