.45 acp expansion - Page 3

.45 acp expansion

This is a discussion on .45 acp expansion within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 An extra .1-.2” of expansion can mean the difference between missing, nicking, or severing a major blood vessel or other bit ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: .45 acp expansion

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    An extra .1-.2” of expansion can mean the difference between missing, nicking, or severing a major blood vessel or other bit of vital structure.

A pathologist will just look at if it was struck or not; they won’t be able to tell if any extra expansion would have made a difference, because that’s not what they’re looking for.

Saying that the only place there is a difference is in the entrance wound is just plain untrue.
    I have to disagree. When I started my photography career after the Corps I did lots of medical photography for a major Phila. Hospital. I mostly photographed autopsies. I can say that there is no meaningful way to determine how .1 or .2 inch affects tissue damage. Once th bulet enters the body it is randomly moving depending upon what it encounters when penetration. Relying on a minuscule amount of expansion of a bullet traveling through human tissue to make a difference is just theory. There is no recorded evidence to back it up. If you wan to deal in fractions of an inch I suggest that it would be better to become so accurate under pressure that you can make a head shot every time. Well. that is a theory too.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you read closely, it’s noted that the best 9mm HP’s match or exceed 45 ball ammo. Whoohoo!
    Indeed you are correct. That leads me to the research I just finished to reply to Lima Charlies earlier post. Here it is. I have quoted only the most pertinent things he wrote.

Physics tells us that when you want to destroy something, bigger is better and faster is better. Therefore bigger and faster is best.
    Arguing with physics is like trying to make a square circle. So your conclusion is correct based on physics. You wrote:

Carry the biggest handgun with the biggest caliber you can control with the most capacity you will carry all day every day. What works for you in your circumstances may not work for me in my circumstances.
    But now let’s move from theoretical to actual. The data I am going to repost here came from the Lucky Gunner Website where there is a lot of ammo test data.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/

This is a comparison of 9mm, .40, and 45ACP in gel. Barrel lengths of the guns were nearly identical with 9mm at 3.5”, .40 at 3.4”, and 45 ACP at 3.6. For sake of comparison they are the same, and it is reasonable to conclude that longer barrel lengths would produce results that varied consistently.

The ammo was Hornady XTP in all three calibers. Here are the results.

9mm/147gr penetration = 19 expansion to .5”
    .40/180gr penetration = 21 expansion to .5”
    .45/200gr penetration = 18. expansion to .54”

Evaluating the test one would conclude that the .40 is the best choice based upon ballistics testing. That was gospel a 25 years ago. Federal, state and local LE went to .40 JHP. But now Federal LE is going to 9mm. Many non federal LE have also been going back to 9mm. Why? Better accuracy with a bullet that is close enough to .40 and .45 to warrant the change. Yes, bigger bullets make bigger holes, but more accurate shooters make near same size holes but most often better placed consistently with less recoil and better repeatability from rapid shot to shot.

Physics is fact. Gunfighting is finesse.
    rotorhead1026 likes this.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy50 View Post
    What about the .45 acp? I notice you didnt mention that caliber. Would you prefer that to the 9mm?

I am a go big or stay home guy. I carry a five inch 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm.
    OD*, Nix and msgt/ret like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.6 KB
    OD*, msgt/ret and gasmitty like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Oh lookie, another 9mm vs .45 thread! YAWN.

@Chevy50 I hope you found the answer you were looking for, if not, do a search for 9mm VS .45, you'll find more then you want to read.
    Cuda66 and msgt/ret like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.6 KB
    No we are not.
    OldVet, Mike1956, G-man* and 3 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links