When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? - Page 10

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? When you have a .40 S&W and a 9mm. Alternate answer: Carry both....

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

When you have a .40 S&W and a 9mm. Alternate answer: Carry both.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post

When you have a .40 S&W and a 9mm. Alternate answer: Carry both.
    That's what I do. And I throw in.45 & .357 Sig just for good measure. And if I ever find a good holster for this, .357 Magnum. Clint Smith's ankle carry.

Bad Bob and G-man* like this.

The .40 expanded to a greater diameter. And under 2000 fps velocity is only useful in generating expansion and penetration. Hydrostatic shock is not a factor in wounding.

The 10mm in this shot expanded past its maximum diameter and ended up at a smaller diameter. That isn't what you want out of a bullet. That's what happens when bullets designed for lower velocities are loaded into a significantly higher velocity round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    That was smoking performance. With the 10 mm you are picking up 300 fps velocity. That is significant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

For me there isn’t much difference tween a hot 9mm and 357 Sig recoil. 40 in the same gun is more difficult for me. But in my 47.5 oz CZ, the hottest 40 is fine. I really enjoy shooting that pistol and it is the one I am most accurate with.

No one here is dreaming of hydrostatic damage with pistol rounds, but the additional power of rounds that are more powerful does count for something.
    Shooting various types of inanimate objects makes it become very clear. There has to be similar results in flesh and bone.

With that said, today I have my 365 OWB with std pressure 124gr XTP handloads. Considering today’s agenda, that will be fine.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Nix
    I think "Wild Bill" Hickok carried a pair of 1851 Colts firing a .38 caliber, 130 grain, ball somewhere south of 1000 fps. Pretty much on par with an anemic 9mm round today. And while he did also favor a shotgun, he seemed to feel adequately prepared with his Colts. And he had a reasonably high expectation of getting into a gun fight.

Ken Waters--a legend in the firearms world--noted that the .38 Special was developed into a very effective defensive revolver over time, especially when using appropriate bullets. In his Pet Loads he references a ".38 Special Super Police" load--a 200 gn flat nosed bullet moving at....wait for it....671fps. (Later increased to 730 fps.)

Soon, reports were coming in attesting to it's effectiveness, criminals being put down at the first shot in each instance with severe bone and/or tissue damage.

I think the modern obsession with 'powerful' rounds is a bit disproportionate to the reality of modern life. Except when it comes to Elk hunting. In that case, use enough gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
    Shot placement.

Darn, my post missed the quote. I meant to ask @BADBOB from this quote:

That depends on which bullet you use. The lighter faster 40"s mimic the 357 magnum for energy, which absolutely surpasses the 45 ACP. The 180 grain 40's act like a 185 grain 45 ACP in actual shootings.

Which do you think is better between the two, light and fast like a 357 or heavier like a 45? (Within the realm of the two .40 calibers mentioned)?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    From what I've seen in the field hunting medium sized game, velocity tends to win. Take two guns, a 45 ACP with hardcast and a 44 mag with hardcast. Both will generally shoot through a deer broadside but the 44 wins big time when it comes to which one will tend to bring down the game faster.
    The little 5.7x28, despite its tiny size, tends to be very effective. Of course, carry that to extremes where the fast bullet fails before giving enough penetration, such as might happen on a large animal, and the tiny fast bullet might not get the job done.

Out of a 357 with enough barrel to give 357 mag velocities, not a 2" snubby, I'd take the 357 with 125 gr. over the 45 ACP.
    MMinSC and Bad Bob like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

For years the .357 Magnum was the king of the street in LE. Has that changed with advancements in bullet design? I don't know, but as I posted earlier, somethings got to be said for the increased velocity over 9mm, .40, & .45.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    The .40 expanded to a greater diameter. And under 2000 fps velocity is only useful in generating expansion and penetration. Hydrostatic shock is not a factor in wounding.

The 10mm in this shot expanded past its maximum diameter and ended up at a smaller diameter. That isn't what you want out of a bullet. That's what happens when bullets designed for lower velocities are loaded into a significantly higher velocity round.
    Every person I saw shot was hurt more with a bullet having more energy than one with less energy. Bullets fired into people do not always expand like the do in jello. When you get up past 1300 fps bullets start doing amazing things.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
    For years the .357 Magnum was the king of the street in LE. Has that changed with advancements in bullet design? I don't know, but as I posted earlier, somethings got to be said for the increased velocity over 9mm, .40, & .45.
    No, it still works the same. Most people jumped on the hi cap bandwagon. Few today can really handle a magnum revolver properly, so they are looked down upon.
    LimaCharlie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post

Darn, my post missed the quote. I meant to ask @BADBOB from this quote:

That depends on which bullet you use. The lighter faster 40"s mimic the 357 magnum for energy, which absolutely surpasses the 45 ACP. The 180 grain 40's act like a 185 grain 45 ACP in actual shootings.

Which do you think is better between the two, light and fast like a 357 or heavier like a 45? (Within the realm of the two .40 calibers mentioned)?
    Personally I prefer the light/fast option they seem to consistently do more damage. I have been told by people I trust that the 135 grn 40 makes a bigger but shallower wound than the 125 grn 357 mag. The 155 grn 40 I like as the rounds I carried were made for us to duplicate a 158 grn JHP fire from a 4" 357 magnum.
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I think "Wild Bill" Hickok carried a pair of 1851 Colts firing a .38 caliber, 130 grain, ball somewhere south of 1000 fps. Pretty much on par with an anemic 9mm round today. And while he did also favor a shotgun, he seemed to feel adequately prepared with his Colts. And he had a reasonably high expectation of getting into a gun fight.

Ken Waters--a legend in the firearms world--noted that the .38 Special was developed into a very effective defensive revolver over time, especially when using appropriate bullets. In his Pet Loads he references a ".38 Special Super Police" load--a 200 gn flat nosed bullet moving at....wait for it....671fps. (Later increased to 730 fps.)

I think the modern obsession with 'powerful' rounds is a bit disproportionate to the reality of modern life. Except when it comes to Elk hunting. In that case, use enough gun.
    Define modern. The 357 magnum is 84 years old.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Personally I prefer the light/fast option they seem to consistently do more damage. I have been told by people I trust that the 135 grn 40 makes a bigger but shallower wound than the 125 grn 357 mag. The 155 grn 40 I like as the rounds I carried were made for us to duplicate a 158 grn JHP fire from a 4" 357 magnum.
    I prefer the 155-165 weight range also.

The 165, I think is the best over all because it’s a tad longer and is a good work around to the SD advantage of the 357 in 125.
    Makes up for the penetration.
    Bad Bob and OD* like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

The 165, I think is the best over all because it’s a tad longer and is a good work around to the SD advantage of the 357 in 125.
    I have no experience with the 165's.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post

Or.....what about going to 40 S&W or 9mm only if you’re out of 180 grn 10mm?!
    CavemanBob, Bad Bob and OD* like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Sponsored Links