When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? - Page 3

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Honestly, the best time to carry a .40 over the 9mm is ALL OF THE TIME. I have no hatred of the 9mm, I've had ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

Honestly, the best time to carry a .40 over the 9mm is ALL OF THE TIME. I have no hatred of the 9mm, I've had my share of them, but at my core I'm a .40 guy
    DZUS and halem1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    With proper bullet selection, any of the duty type calibers will get the job done as well as the other. I feel comfortable saying thereís no difference in performance between 9mm, 40, 45, etc. Handgun calibers are all equally bad. Iíd stick with the 9mm personally. 40 isnít going to give you any more capability over 9mm.
    Go shoot some steel, the .40 plows over steel plates and makes steel swing way better than 9mm does, even does better than 125gr 357 Mag and every bit as hard as the .45 does. The .40 hits harder, cuts a bigger hole and expands larger, yet there's no difference? That's only something a 9mm people say to justify their caliber.
    BullsI, Militant, DZUS and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
    Go shoot some steel, the .40 plows over steel plates and makes steel swing way better than 9mm does, even does better than 125gr 357 Mag and every bit as hard as the .45 does. The .40 hits harder, cuts a bigger hole and expands larger, yet there's no difference? That's only something a 9mm people say to justify their caliber.
    But with the advances in modern 9mm ammunition...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yeah we've heard that one a blue million times, so from what I hear I guess bullet advancements only helped 9mm.

VIP Member
    Yeah we've heard that one a blue million times, so from what I hear I guess bullet advancements only helped 9mm.
    Yup, those 1250 fps .45+Ps in my carry gun still hit just like those 900 fps fmj's JMB designed his platform around over 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yup, those 1250 fps .45+Ps in my carry gun still hit just like those 900 fps fmj's JMB designed his platform around over 100 years ago.
    Are you using the 185s? I really like the Underwood offering in that weight.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Couldn't he just stockpile a couple THOUSAND rounds of 9mm in case there is ever a shortage of 9mm as there was a few years ago? Just because there is a shortage on the store shelves, doesn't mean his pre-purchased 9mm ammo would disappear too.
    Fixed it for you
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Yeah, especially for what it costs right now. I reload some 9mm but not much. That is a caliber I just buy and only in 1000 round cases. Only online as well. It never made sense to me to have to keep going to the store for a few boxes at a time and the internet allows me to shop for deals nationwide. Plus I prefer to let the UPS man do the driving and carrying, he gets paid for it and I do not.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Distinguished Member
    US Military and Federal Law Enforcement have gone to 9MM. I went from 45 to 9mm in 1989. So I guess you know where I stand. But you do nee the right SD ammo if you do it.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Are you using the 185s? I really like the Underwood offering in that weight.
    CorBons and Golden Sabers.
    MMinSC likes this.

If anyone is interested, there is a YouTube video in which retired Navy SEAL Kyle Defoor compares 9mm to the 40. He shoots both into cinder block from about 25 yards or so and tries hard to sell the 9 over the 40. But unless I'm missing something, it appears that the 40 is a harder hitter and punches a bigger hole in the cinder block then the 9 does. If you get a chance and take a look. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    But with the advances in modern 9mm ammunition...
    Mike1956 likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    And THAT'S what I love about my .45's. They make those steel targets swing and bow down!

Mike1956 and 5lima30ret like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Quote Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
    I recently picked-up a H&K VP9 & VP9sk. My local shop had a used like new VP40 with N/S, so I decided to buy one of those too (might as well have one of each). I haven't shot the .40 yet, so I don't know how it will compare to the 9mm's.

I have a few guns in .40 S&W, and have 20+ years of shooting and carrying the caliber. I don't mind the snappier recoil of the .40 at all. And still carry my G23 on occasion, as it has the smoothest action/trigger of all my Glocks (and the most rounds).

But it got me thinking about the VP9 vs. VP40. In what scenario would I carry the .40 over a 9mm? Maybe as a trail gun with 180 or 200 gr. HC?

Your thoughts?
    Lots of good and informed opinions on this topic; and I respect everyone's observations.

That said, I typically only carry one of two pistols, a .40 cal and a 9mm. Great firearms, both.

In the winter, when I'm wearing a lot of clothing, I'll always carry the .40. In the warmer months, I'll still carry the .40 unless I absolutely need something smaller in size and weight.

Examples, I'll pocket carry the 9mm (P365) when grandkids visit or if I'm bicycling, that sort of thing. My primary carry is my Ruger SR40C, my most accurate pistol, ever.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    And THAT'S what I love about my .45's. They make those steel targets swing and bow down!

Unimportant. Steel is not flesh and bone. Bad shot placement will cause all bullets to have minimal impact. I've been paying attention to what a bullet does after it hits the critters I shoot for years. Bullet construction matters. What that bullet was designed to do will determine what normally will happen when you shoot, and obviously hit, the appropriate target with.

Small game rounds tend to not kill larger critters without great/near perfect shot placement. Large game bullets will go through and through on small targets.

While I have not personally used a small round, like a .22 LR on larger game, the type of round I use to hunt with has to have certain characteristics to better kill the bigger cottontails around here should you not get them in the head. Squirrels don't require anything in particular. They are so small, you shoot them in the head or chest they just die.

I can tell you that a very nice nosler hunting round designed for large game will not do much against a smaller critter if you don't hit solid bone going in. I know that from experience shooting a coyote with my deer hunting rifle. I was out trying to call wolves in during the now gone Wisconsin wolf hunt, so I had the tool for that task, not one for the smaller cousins.

At this point in time caliber doesn't matter much for humans. Honestly, caliber no longer matters much for most of the whitetail deer species. Bullet construction has improved vastly since I was a teenager. We can do more with the calibers we have if we use the right ammunition for the job. Handgun ammunition has improved more than hunting rounds. Any caliber we choose, should we practice properly so we can hit dangerous people in the CNS, won't matter should we pick almost any self defense round.

What matters is not the caliber being used, for the ballistics have become very close together for the most commonly used rounds, but our ability to hit the target where it counts. We need to carry what we are comfortable with.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links