When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? - Page 4

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And not a single mention of 357 Sig. I was always intrigued by that caliber but never jumped in. When people claim the 40 is ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree422Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

And not a single mention of 357 Sig. I was always intrigued by that caliber but never jumped in. When people claim the 40 is dying, they really need to look at the sad state of 357 to see a caliber on the way out.
    bmcgilvray, Nix and mannyaguilar like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Unimportant. Steel is not flesh and bone. Bad shot placement will cause all bullets to have minimal impact. I've been paying attention to what a bullet does after it hits the critters I shoot for years. Bullet construction matters. What that bullet was designed to do will determine what normally will happen when you shoot, and obviously hit, the appropriate target with.

Small game rounds tend to not kill larger critters without great/near perfect shot placement. Large game bullets will go through and through on small targets.

While I have not personally used a small round, like a .22 LR on larger game, the type of round I use to hunt with has to have certain characteristics to better kill the bigger cottontails around here should you not get them in the head. Squirrels don't require anything in particular. They are so small, you shoot them in the head or chest they just die.

I can tell you that a very nice nosler hunting round designed for large game will not do much against a smaller critter if you don't hit solid bone going in. I know that from experience shooting a coyote with my deer hunting rifle. I was out trying to call wolves in during the now gone Wisconsin wolf hunt, so I had the tool for that task, not one for the smaller cousins.

At this point in time caliber doesn't matter much for humans. Honestly, caliber no longer matters much for most of the whitetail deer species. Bullet construction has improved vastly since I was a teenager. We can do more with the calibers we have if we use the right ammunition for the job. Handgun ammunition has improved more than hunting rounds. Any caliber we choose, should we practice properly so we can hit dangerous people in the CNS, won't matter should we pick almost any self defense round.

What matters is not the caliber being used, for the ballistics have become very close together for the most commonly used rounds, but our ability to hit the target where it counts. We need to carry what we are comfortable with.
    So, the effects of rifle rounds on small game determine the legitimacy of handgun carry choices?
    DownInTheDark, OD* and halem1 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    And not a single mention of 357 Sig. I was always intrigued by that caliber but never jumped in. When people claim the 40 is dying, they really need to look at the sad state of 357 to see a caliber on the way out.
    You’re right about the 357 Sig.... I had a Glock 27 for a few years, but found I shot 9mm much better than 357 Sig or the 40 Cal for that matter. I believe the 357 Sig is dying a slow death, but I think the 40 is still healthy.... I’m looking to add a 10mm semi auto eventually, and I hope it continues to grow in popularity.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF, ISAA

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?-407.jpg
    i see nothing wrong with carrying a 40

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Move the target out past fifty yards or so, and see if the results between different calibers with the same platform are the same.
    Why I like a spirited .357.

At the range we have some steel set up at 35 yards (used to be at 50.... ). A hit with a 45 auto makes a lovely, audible 'tinnggggg......', a hit with a lively 357 Magnum resonates with a deep 'TONGGGGGGGGG........'. 44 Rem Mag makes my favorite music of all....
    halem1 and Mike1956 like this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post

I keep thinking about a 357 Sig. However, I do worry about wear and tear on pistols converted to 357 Sig. Do these guns have decent longevity? Certainly an appealing round, but I suspect my next semi-auto will be in 38 Super...... (yeah, it's still around).

To me it depends how big the gun is.

In Glock 19/23 size guns where I can get 12+ rounds of .40, that's what I prefer over 9mm. They have a full three finger grip height, and what I consider enough mag capacity. I do consider the .40 to have a somewhat significant wounding capacity advantage over 9mm, so I'd rather have that than the extra 2 round 9mm would give. I don't consider the added recoil a problem in guns that size or larger.

Get down into the subcompact category, where you may only have a two finger grip, and a <=10 round capacity in either caliber, I go with a 9mm. At that point recoil control is more of an issue, and losing 1-2 rounds of mag capacity is not as acceptable.
    MnemonicMonkey likes this.

I like .357 Sig also. In fact, I dropped my .357 Sig barrel into my G23 and have been carrying that around for the past few days. I also got a used like new G33 a few months ago for a good price. Gives me 10 shots of (almost .357 mag) power in a lighter & smaller platform than a 2 1/2" 19 or 66 Revolver (an old CCW favorite).

40 has been dying for the past 10 years yet there are still numerous new guns chambered in it for sale and plenty of ammo on the shelves for it. At some point in the future the pendulum swing away from 9mm "as supreme" to something else. I remember when I bought my first 9mm. All the magazines and experts were down on the 9mm. (9mm was proven to be weak and ineffective.) It was ineffective at stopping threats they said. 9mm was for those that couldn't shoot real calibers like 40 & 45, 358 magnum they said. I felt bad about buying my first 9mm but it was all I could afford at the time when 40 was popular. It has humbling when people asked what caliber you had and you muttered under your breath, 9mm. Fast forward and now 40 and 45 sucks and 9mm is king because of research and experts! I like having choices in firearms and calibers! Choose what works for you and brings you joy.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

I have never owned a .40 caliber handgun. Not really any reason, just have been fine with 9mm, 45 ACP and 357. I feel fine with 9mm, especially the fast +P+ options but I mostly carry 45 anyway. The .40 caliber I would want is a 229 Stainless Elite. I think that extra weight would make for a great shooter. Those are expensive though and I find it hard to justify spending that much money when used 40s go for nothing and even new ones sell at a discount to their 9mm counterparts. If I do add another caliber at this point, might s well go all the way and get a 10mm.

So what is .40 Super? I never noticed it before but just saw it on the Underwood site.

200 grains, 1400 FPS, and a whopping 871 ft/lbs.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785708245049

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I used to carry 357 Sig, but both of my duty pistols are 40 S&W. So 2 sources of free ammo made me convert.
    halem1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kukla's Avatar
    HEY!
    When is this thread going to turn into a caliber war?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

I usually carry a 40 or 45. I have a 9mm but it never seems to make out the door with me.
    As far as 40 being a dying caliber, I never see a lack of it at the local gun/sporting stores.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

There's been a lot of .40 hate for awhile. The FBI going to 9mm legitimized that hate. With a lot of Agencies following suit. I think the biggest problem was Glock shoving a .40 in a 9mm slide without redesigning (thickening) the slide to handle the hotter round (like most other manufactures). It worked great for keeping the same leather as you had for your 9mm's, but it didn't work out so much in regards to increased recoil.

I started carry a G17 on Duty in 92', and finished my career with a G22 in 2017. Now that same G17 that was hot in the early 90's, is all the rage 25+ years later. We'll wait another 20-25 years and .40 will be back.

I've always felt .40 was the best compromise between size & capacity. But now that I'm retired, I carry 9mm, .40, & .45. Whatever I feel like putting on that day.

And with all that hate, now's a great time to pick-up a cheap, unloved .40. They're almost giving away G22's these days.

It doesn't seem that long ago that 10mm was "dead".

We love to play the "what's old, is what's new" game.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links