When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? - Page 7

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G-man* So basically you are just spending more money and carrying a pistol that is longer in length, to do the same ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    So basically you are just spending more money and carrying a pistol that is longer in length, to do the same job...
    G-man*,

If you download a .357 Sig cartridge, it will perform less than the designed max performance capability of .357 ammo. This is similar to downloading the 10mm Auto until you have the 10mm Auto FBI Load, which is the .40 S&W, essentially.

I can certainly see a manufacturer downloading its .357 Sig cartridge to keep from over-driving its high-tech JHP bullet that was designed for a certain velocity envelope. But this means the manufacturer might end up with a .357 Sig cartridge that is only marginally more powerful than its 9mm +P cartridge. Don't blame the resulting anemic performance on the .357 Sig design, though.

If I am going to CC .357 Sig, I want "real" .357 ammo. Otherwise, I may as well carry 9mm +P.

Anyway, this exchange has been fun. Safe shooting!

rx7sig

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    G-man*,

If you download a .357 Sig cartridge, it will perform less than the designed max performance capability of .357 ammo. This is similar to downloading the 10mm Auto until you have the 10mm Auto FBI Load, which is the .40 S&W, essentially.

I can certainly see a manufacturer downloading its .357 Sig cartridge to keep from over-driving its high-tech JHP bullet that was designed for a certain velocity envelope. But this means the manufacturer might end up with a .357 Sig cartridge that is only marginally more powerful than its 9mm +P cartridge. Don't blame the resulting anemic performance on the .357 Sig design, though.

If I am going to CC .357 Sig, I want "real" .357 ammo. Otherwise, I may as well carry 9mm +P.

Anyway, this exchange has been fun. Safe shooting!

rx7sig
    I agree with you, and good point!

And thats the problem with those pip squeak 35 cal pistol bullets in an auto pistol; so dang velocity sensitive. And ya canít loadíem with a good soft tipped HP like a revolver to overcome the issue.

Yep. Start with a 40something and itís not an issue.
    deadguy and LimaCharlie like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

So why do people like Super 38 so much? Looking at the Underwood site, the 38 Super +P is about 50 fps faster than the equal weight 9mm +P+. (they do not have a non+P super 38 to compare)?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If I wanted to carry a 9mm as a primary, it would be a 9X25 Dillon which is a 10mm necked down to 9mm.

Underwood

Technical Information:
    Caliber: 9x25mm Dillon
    Bullet Weight: 124 Grains
    Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
    Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information
    Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 796 ft lbs
    G-man* and Nmuskier like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    So why do people like Super 38 so much? Looking at the Underwood site, the 38 Super +P is about 50 fps faster than the equal weight 9mm +P+. (they do not have a non+P super 38 to compare)?
    The 38 Super is not really +P, although thatís how it is listed. It was given the +p designation to avoid confusion with the Colt 38 Auto at the time.

The reason people like it is the cool factor. 1911+38 Super=damn cool!
    MMinSC, OD*, bmcgilvray and 1 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

deadguy, OD*, graydude and 1 others like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

Oh heck yeah! Guns chambered for the 380 are small if you want one like that for special circumstances. Love my 380ís! And it was another product of JMB!
    zonker1986 likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Oh heck yeah! Guns chambered for the 380 are small if you want one like that for special circumstances. Love my 380ís! And it was another product of JMB!
    Totally agree.

deadguy likes this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Totally agree.

Nah, you can get 40ís about that size. Iím talking more about pocket style carry, which for me, the new wunder 9 Sig just donít make the cut.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Itís fun when those that donít want something bash it. I agree there are no magic pills in handgun cartridges.
    A 125 XTP @1450 is still a 125 @1450 weather its out of a 357 Sig or 357 magnum.
    9mm doesnít do that, and if you find a load that does, let me know kuz I donít want to be around when you light off.

I hand load so the only additional cost over 9mm is only a little powder.
    Now the Sig will never be like a 125 screaming out of the Highway Patrolman and thatís ok with me. That isnít what it is supposed to be. But there is a lot of overlap. Itís a good cartridge.

I am still trying to justify a 10mm...oh wait someone said that just a 40 that only over penetrates...hahahahaha
    Fine, I still want one.

In my 40 I like the 135 and 155 for the speed. A 155 @ 1250 seems a lot like a 158 @1250 out of a 357mag. If I want heavier, I have three 45s to choose from, like the one on my hip now.
    Itís all good. I am ok with .380 too, it has its place in my pocket.
    9mm is for my 365, but it doesnít fit in my pocket. The real pleasure for me with 9mm is shooting my 228 or CZ.
    MMinSC, forester58, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Itís fun when those that donít want something bash it.
    Fun? Itís an absolute blast and Iím having a ball
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I've been wearing my P365 for several months now, an easier to conceal handgun I've never had. I'm not enamored with 9mm but it beats a sharp stick. I've not seen a 40 which approaches the concealability of the P365, certainly not one that'll hold 10+1.
    Mine's stoked with Underwood Xtreme Defender 90 gr. +p. Yeah, yeah, poo-poo the 90 gr weight but I've not heard or read any complaints of underpenetration by that little pill launching at 1475 fps and they say it does quite well on barriers. Of course, the weather cooled down rather drastically today, 78 F. yesterday, sitting at 19 F now and around 5" of snow today which means I need to dig out my heavier clothes and the G29.
    Struckat, G-man* and MMinSC like this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

I like light and fast, but I just donít know enough about those.

One role I really like my 365 for is yard work. I wear it OWB, light and if it gets scratched or whatever I donít care. I think the chamber is tight. Any +P ish loads that are fine in my 228 or CZ come out of the 365 with scary flat primers, so std pressure only in that thing.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    I've been wearing my P365 for several months now, an easier to conceal handgun I've never had. I'm not enamored with 9mm but it beats a sharp stick. I've not seen a 40 which approaches the concealability of the P365, certainly not one that'll hold 10+1.
    Mine's stoked with Underwood Xtreme Defender 90 gr. +p. Yeah, yeah, poo-poo the 90 gr weight but I've not heard or read any complaints of underpenetration by that little pill launching at 1475 fps and they say it does quite well on barriers. Of course, the weather cooled down rather drastically today, 78 F. yesterday, sitting at 19 F now and around 5" of snow today which means I need to dig out my heavier clothes and the G29.
    Im glad it works for ya.

But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that is really too big to be a true pocket pistol that I still wore on the belt, Iíd rather have something like the Kahr 40 S&W, which is very close in size, firing the potent 155-165 weight bullets.
    CavemanBob and zonker1986 like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

When to carry a .40? Any time you can.

Bigger is better.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links