When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? - Page 8

When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G-man* Im glad it works for ya. But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that ...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Im glad it works for ya.

But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that is really too big to be a true pocket pistol that I still wore on the belt, Iíd rather have something like the Kahr 40 S&W, which is very close in size, firing the potent 155-165 weight bullets.
    No, itís just like you carrying your G26, no? But I guess I agree as my 45 Shield fits the bill too.
    Did I mention that the 45 is better than all of them?
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    (they do not have a non+P super 38 to compare)?
    The +P designation was given to the Super .38 in 1974, to distinguish it from its parent case, the .38 ACP. There really isn't a +P load. The Super .38 is dimensionally the same as the .38 ACP
    Nix and MMinSC like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    A 125 XTP @1450 is still a 125 @1450 weather its out of a 357 Sig or 357 magnum.
    Bingo!
    It don't know if it's coming out of a round gun or a flat one.
    Struckat, deadguy, G-man* and 2 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I worked as a crime scene investigator and then as a deputy coroner for a number of years. Probably witnessed at least 50 autopsies. The 40 is definitely more powerful than the 9mm. The .40 180 grn gold dot is impressive.I saw two people killed with the miniature.25. Both shot in the chest at close range. The most important thing is bullet placement. Carry what you can shoot accurately. I was issued a Glock 27 .40 while a CSI. I hated it because of the harsh recoil. When I worked as a deputy coroner I carried Walther CCP in 9mm and loved it. Still do.
    Nix, MMinSC, OldVet and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Itís fun when those that donít want something bash it. I agree there are no magic pills in handgun cartridges.
    A 125 XTP @1450 is still a 125 @1450 weather its out of a 357 Sig or 357 magnum.
    9mm doesnít do that, and if you find a load that does, let me know kuz I donít want to be around when you light off.

I hand load so the only additional cost over 9mm is only a little powder.
    Now the Sig will never be like a 125 screaming out of the Highway Patrolman and thatís ok with me. That isnít what it is supposed to be. But there is a lot of overlap. Itís a good cartridge.

I am still trying to justify a 10mm...oh wait someone said that just a 40 that only over penetrates...hahahahaha
    Fine, I still want one.

In my 40 I like the 135 and 155 for the speed. A 155 @ 1250 seems a lot like a 158 @1250 out of a 357mag. If I want heavier, I have three 45s to choose from, like the one on my hip now.
    Itís all good. I am ok with .380 too, it has its place in my pocket.
    9mm is for my 365, but it doesnít fit in my pocket. The real pleasure for me with 9mm is shooting my 228 or CZ.
    I think the 50GI round is the magic pill in semi auto rounds, but I don't think I could afford to shoot it!

Get you a 10mm. Lots of fun to shoot and an effective round, but make sure you shoot the hot stuff. Smile inducing for sure.

I picked up 2 CZs in the last 3 weeks, and I have to agree that 9mm is fun out of those guns. It's also not bad in the 365 which I have for occasional pocket carry. I switched over to the 365 from an airweight S&W 360 .357 for that role.

I never warmed up to the .40. Shooting the M&P40c and Kahr CW40 i had several years ago just didn't do it for me. Stepping up to 45acp for carry, however, did.

The 365 sees use when I have no other options due to attire requirement, activity involved in, etc. Otherwise, the 45acp is my choice due to performance and ease of shooting. Much more enjoyable than .40, IMO.
    Struckat and OD* like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Im glad it works for ya.

But if I were going to go down to a gun of that size that is really too big to be a true pocket pistol that I still wore on the belt, Iíd rather have something like the Kahr 40 S&W, which is very close in size, firing the potent 155-165 weight bullets.
    I bought the Kahr PM40 and MK40 for this exact reason. Hornady Critical Defense 165gr or nasty rounds. I carry the PM40 more since it is so much lighter than the MK40.

deadguy, OD*, G-man* and 1 others like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

10mm is .40 adding overpenetration. This is especially true that bullet manufacturers design their 10mm bullets around .40 S&W velocities. I've seen tests with 10mm rounds where the bullets expand past their maximum diameter fold back to the smaller diameter, then overpenetrate. This isn't good. 10mm sounds good in theory, but in really it doesn't bring much, if anything more to the table than .40, at least in the current available loads, and it isn't popular enough in the LE community for the ammo companies to design bullets around it. Also pushes gun size up.

.45: better penetration/expansion than .40, but has a big impact on gun size and mag capacity. Also, the ammo is designed around 5" barrel guns. Most carry guns now have 3-4" barrels. If you want to strap on a full size 1911, it's a great round. But in general, guns that chamber it are not very size efficient, and have mag capacity issues.
    10mm overpenetrate generalization is incorrect.
    Underwood 180 Gold Dot penetrated 17 3/4'' (falls inside the 18'' desired range)

Before two more examples of 10mm did not overpenetrate, in the land of "Not Optimal" magazines are limited to 10 rounds amiright. Glock 30s, 30SF 45 acp.
    G-man* and Bad Bob like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

10mm 135 Nosler = underpenetration
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

10mm 175 Silvertip, generalization mythbuster #3
    Mike1956, G-man* and Bad Bob like this.

Best ever!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    When to carry 40 rather than 9mm?
    Whenever you would prefer making slightly bigger holes in the threat.
    I really loved that answer. In the future whenever someone asks my why I carry 40 and not 9 I will answer: because I like to make bigger holes
    G-man*, Bad Bob and CDW4ME like this.

I always hear that: But with the advances in modern 9mm ammunition...
    Then I think, would those advances in modern ammunition apply to .40 S&W too?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I bought the Kahr PM40 and MK40 for this exact reason. Hornady Critical Defense 165gr or nasty rounds. I carry the PM40 more since it is so much lighter than the MK40.

How does the PM40 perform, with respect to reliability?
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Yes but look what it did to the bullet. That's not good performance.

I'd rather carry this:

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    10mm overpenetrate generalization is incorrect.
    Underwood 180 Gold Dot penetrated 17 3/4'' (falls inside the 18'' desired range)

Before two more examples of 10mm did not overpenetrate, in the land of "Not Optimal" magazines are limited to 10 rounds amiright. Glock 30s, 30SF 45 acp.
    AnthonyC likes this.

Nix
    I don't get into a lot of fights with jello, but most of those look pretty good.
    LimaCharlie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post

You have good taste my friend
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links