When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

This is a discussion on When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked-up a H&K VP9 & VP9sk. My local shop had a used like new VP40 with N/S, so I decided to buy one ...

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: When to Carry a .40 S&W over a 9mm?

I recently picked-up a H&K VP9 & VP9sk. My local shop had a used like new VP40 with N/S, so I decided to buy one of those too (might as well have one of each). I haven't shot the .40 yet, so I don't know how it will compare to the 9mm's.

I have a few guns in .40 S&W, and have 20+ years of shooting and carrying the caliber. I don't mind the snappier recoil of the .40 at all. And still carry my G23 on occasion, as it has the smoothest action/trigger of all my Glocks (and the most rounds).

But it got me thinking about the VP9 vs. VP40. In what scenario would I carry the .40 over a 9mm? Maybe as a trail gun with 180 or 200 gr. HC?

Your thoughts?

VIP Member
    With quality SD ammo in either caliber, I’d say carry the one you shoot the best IMHO.....nothing else really matters.....YMMV...

Trail gun.....I’d likely go with the 40.....SD, 9mm all the way “for me”....again...YMMV.....
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I would never carry a .40 over a 9.

Because, I don't own a .40.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The only reason I would choose a 9mm over anything else is for cost of ammo, or economy of size vs caliber.

If I could own only one, it sure as heck would not be a 9mm. I like the 40 and 45.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Carry whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I'd stockpile a couple hundred rounds of 40 in case there is ever a shortage on 9mm as there was a few years ago. That way you always got something can shoot/carry/practice with.
    Me: "..and that brings us back to the age old question, how much ammo should you carry or how much is enough, doesn't it? Lol "
    AzQkr: "
    The age old questions answer is carry more, not less. For if more isn't enough, less surely won't be. lol"

Choose the 40 cal in cooler weather when people are wearing heavier or layered clothing.

I have the VP40 and the G23, and also have them both chambered for 357 Sig. It has fast become my favorite round.
    muzzleblast and AnthonyC like this.

Either one to me. Shot placement will still be key over calibre. I have 9mm and 45 handguns. The only reason I never bought a 40 (almost did) was I just didn't need another calibre. I think both shoot well. As others have said, the 9mm is cheaper to shoot these days.
    Risasi likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    The only reason I would choose a 9mm over anything else is for cost of ammo, or economy of size vs caliber.

If I could own only one, it sure as heck would not be a 9mm. I like the 40 and 45.
    I haven't carried one of my several nines in quite awhile. The .45s get all the holster time now.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

When to carry 40 rather than 9mm?
    Whenever you would prefer making slightly bigger holes in the threat.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

For me? All de time...

I don't own a 9mm, I own several 40's. As much as I have tried, the 9mm does nothing for me. It is inexpensive to shoot, other than that......
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Flip a coin
    OldChap likes this.

.40 is MUCH better when shooting through barriers come into play! Just my .02 worth!
    OldChap, CDW4ME and flintlock62 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Moderator
    If one feels the .40 S&W cartridge has attributes that make it especially worthwhile for trail gun use then those attributes would translate to general purpose daily carry.

I like the .40 S&W.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links