Another one of them days...

Another one of them days...

This is a discussion on Another one of them days... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And I seem to be having a few of them lately. A while back (July?) I told Tangle I would run a few of my ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Another one of them days...

Unhappy Another one of them days...

And I seem to be having a few of them lately.

A while back (July?) I told Tangle I would run a few of my .223 reloads through my Rem. 788 and post what numbers showed up with my chrony. Of course life got in the way and I finally got out today to the range. It was a late night decision, like at 12:30 AM when Perry Mason went off, and I didn't really do a lot of prep, mainly throwing ammo and stuff in my range bag and pulling the 788 out of the safe, where it has rested and not been shot in over a year.

So I arrive at the range, pay my fee, and get checked in and set up at my firing station. The 100-yard range has been reduced to 50 yards with all the rain. Lots of downrange flooding. No biggie, I'm only checking velocities.

I load up with some Speer 52-grain HPs on top of IMR-4198 and pull the trigger.

Click.

Images of powderless cases danced in my head. I pull the round and check the primer--light strike. Three more tries, all the same results. Einstein is right, I'm insane, or at least hard to convince.

I take a moment to analysis the problem. The case head space is a bit "snug," but I knew that going in. Shouldn't be an issue. I pull the trigger a few times on an empty chamber and noted instead of a sharp snap I get a sluggish click.

Hoping to remedy the situation, I pulled the bolt and checked with the RO, who had a small center punch I could use to break down the bolt. Yep, gunky, congealed oil. I sprayed the inside of the bolt and firing pin in hopes of dissolving and breaking up the gunk, wiped it all down and reinstalled the bolt in the rifle. Still a sluggish click.

I switched to a few round of properly sized rounds with 55-grain FMJBTs and 19.5 grains of 4198 and managed to get one to fire. Enough was enough, and I called it a day rather than get all frustrated. No one, not even me, likes a frustrated curmudgeon.

Back at the homestead, I broke the bolt down again, flushed it with Hoppes #9, scrubbed the inside of the firing pin chamber thoroughly, sprayed a quarter can of Brakeclean on the firing pin assembly and tried it all again.

Snap!

Probably should have cleaned it before I went. The velocity of the one shot was 2841 fps, by the way. A bit lower than I expected, but can't judge the load on one shot only.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    What you experienced is the reason I quit using frog lube.
    I though I would try something new for a change. Never again.
    You gave me a good reminder to check some of my rifles I have not shot in a while.
    Something to do this Sunday

Well before it starts, let the record reflect that am against frog lube also.
    Bad Bob, OldChap and Risasi like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I remember some of the bench rest guys always kept a little can of WD-40 around. That stuff will break down some of the worst gunk. That may not have been what it was there for, but a number of them told me about it.

Of course, periodic inspection works best. And as @KILTED COWBOY said...some so-called lubes cause more problems than I like.
    Bad Bob, airslot and CavemanBob like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Don't want to start a lube war again y'all.
    Well maybe I do! I am bored here.

Let the record show --- I didn't use Froglube on this rifle. So you're transferring your apples onto oranges.

I hadn't broken down the bolt in over 25 years. I think dry air would have congealed in that time. And I've never had a problem with FL on any gun I've used FL on, so get over that gripe and move on. It was "gun" oil that gobbed up. So there.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Don't try to distract us with fact. Get the pitchforks and kill Froglube!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Let the record show --- I didn't use Froglube on this rifle. So you're transferring your apples onto oranges.

I hadn't broken down the bolt in over 25 years. I think dry air would have congealed in that time. And I've never had a problem with FL on any gun I've used FL on, so get over that gripe and move on. It was "gun" oil that gobbed up. So there.
    You sure did.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Risasi, airslot and Bad Bob like this.

In the famous words of Sgt Hulka. "Lighten up Francis". LOL

Any good home gunsmith would have checked that at year 22.
    airslot, Bad Bob, Risasi and 1 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Any good home gunsmith would have checked that at year 22.
    I go by metric years.

Do not rattle Old vet's cage too much.
    It is getting close to Christmas

Senior Moderator
    @OldVet , I always warned you about that obsessive compulsive treatment of your guns.
    OldVet likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Do not rattle Old vet's cage too much.
    It is getting close to Christmas
    OldVet is uncaged. His gyro runs true.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links