Here's what being shot with birdshot looks like--WARNING!!! Graphic

This is a discussion on Here's what being shot with birdshot looks like--WARNING!!! Graphic within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll stick to #4 buck for home defense....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Here's what being shot with birdshot looks like--WARNING!!! Graphic

I'll stick to #4 buck for home defense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here's what being shot with birdshot looks like--WARNING!!! Graphic-shot-birdshot.jpg  

Havok, MMinSC, scottync and 18 others like this.

Thanks for the "just before dinner" post! LOL
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Iím not recommending bird shot for Home defense but I would think that same load to the face would take the fight out of an attacker immediately? Pretty large pattern on dudes back, must have been a ways out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Going to take a while to pick all those out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I donít think thatís going to buff out
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

I would say at home defense distance the shot would still be in ball just a bit over bore size, bot I will stay with # 4 copper plated buck shot because it works just fine in my gun.

It looks like he got just about every pellet in the load.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'll stick to #4 buck for home defense.
    Yea, years ago on our boats, we used #4 and 00-buck.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Donít know how it would feel going in but itís sure gotta hurt being picked out. I was last night reading an account my dad wrote years ago about getting hit in the arm with some birdshot.

His buddy had gotten a .410 for Christmas of Ď27. Dad said his buddy, with no warning, threw out a tin can and brought the shotgun up and fired. The can took no hits but the sleeve of dadís brand new leather jacket caught a bunch of shot. Three pellets went through the layer of leather sleeve and into my dadís arm where they stayed forever.

Yeah, birdshot is a questionable deterrent but it might cost a friend dearly. Buckshot for defense, yeah!

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

VIP Member
    Looks like what I would expect out of a Taurus Judge at distance.
    AzQkr, OD*, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

If that is the same pic I saw he was a looter in TX after Harvey. And was shot quite a ways out. The shot was well centered, and if it were buckshot he may not have made it to the hospital! DR
    AzQkr and Bad Bob like this.

An acquaintance of ours was involved in a hunting accident. Crossing a fence and his hunting partner had a ND, like you hear about. It was very close range, just a couple of feet, and even though he was wearing leather hunting boots, he took the entire charge of about 350 pellets in his foot. His doctors don't feel they can pick out the shot without demolishing his foot. But if they leave the shot in there, the guy will probably die of lead poisoning (his lead levels are already dangerously high). Or he may lose his foot. It's a bad situation that could have been prevented if his buddy had taken 5 seconds and unloaded his shotgun before crossing the fence.
    airslot, AzQkr, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

That's a major ouch
    THE CROW

That picture has been making the rounds for several years on the Inet. Not sure what the circumstances were there, but that was obviously not an across the room shot, or he wouldnít be sitting there, regardless of shot size.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    An acquaintance of ours was involved in a hunting accident. Crossing a fence and his hunting partner had a ND, like you hear about. It was very close range, just a couple of feet, and even though he was wearing leather hunting boots, he took the entire charge of about 350 pellets in his foot. His doctors don't feel they can pick out the shot without demolishing his foot. But if they leave the shot in there, the guy will probably die of lead poisoning (his lead levels are already dangerously high). Or he may lose his foot. It's a bad situation that could have been prevented if his buddy had taken 5 seconds and unloaded his shotgun before crossing the fence.
    We all hunted with pump shotguns. Cross a fence alone? Slam it open, grab the shell, lay the gun aside, cross over, slam it shut and reload the ejected shell. No problemo. No ND. Cross a fence with a buddy? Hold the first guy's gun until he's over. Hand it to him muzzle up. He grabs it by the barrel and then takes yours. You get it back same way when you get over.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    We all hunted with pump shotguns. Cross a fence alone? Slam it open, grab the shell, lay the gun aside, cross over, slam it shut and reload the ejected shell. No problemo. No ND. Cross a fence with a buddy? Hold the first guy's gun until he's over. Hand it to him muzzle up. He grabs it by the barrel and then takes yours. You get it back same way when you get over.
    Your father and grandfather taught you the same things as my father and grandfather

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links