Ever see a ballistic gel block smoke? - Page 2

Ever see a ballistic gel block smoke?

This is a discussion on Ever see a ballistic gel block smoke? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the article: "Ballistic gel is a broad term referring to a large chunk of dense gel generally used in firearms-related testing to reliably and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Ever see a ballistic gel block smoke?

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    From the article:

"Ballistic gel is a broad term referring to a large chunk of dense gel generally used in firearms-related testing to reliably and consistently measure things like bullet deformation, fragmentation, and impact. It’s tough, elastic, and in many ways resembles a gigantic gummi bear."

Yeah, but ballistic gel tastes awful.
    M1911A1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    You just ruined it for me...
    I can delete my post...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It only happens in the oil based clear gel. If you use the organic gel, it won't do that.

Slow motion video capture is a natural companion to just about anything that you’d need ballistic gel for, and good thing — because the video captured what appears to be a diesel effect! The block is hit with a bullet, and as the bullet rapidly expands and dumps its energy into the gel, a cavity expands rapidly. During this process, some of the (oil-based) material in the cavity has been vaporized. After the expanded bullet exits (to the right of the gif above but easier to see in the video below), the cavity in the block begins to collapse. The resulting pressure increase appears to ignite the vaporized material, which explodes with a flash followed by some exhaust.
    Also, an FYI, penetration is clear gel is approx. 20% further than organic ballistic gel, because the oil based gel is slicker....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    It's the oxygen and gunshot residue being compressed after the "temporary cavity" collapses

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'd read that too. Someone also surmised that the clear blocks are more susceptible to it because of some alcohol base in the mix...I don't know that this is actually true though. Never did bother to confirm that.

Here is a double explosion on a Jerry Miculek video at about the 4:20 mark:

I have to admit, the .460 Magnum would be kind of cool to own. I know a fellow in Iowa who hunts with one. He said he's bagged whitetails at 200 yards, easy.

P.S. Hmm, I wonder if these little mini explosions could actually be happening in soft targets like humans and meat animals and the effects it could have? Especially on the nervous system if it hits in the right spot. It makes me wonder about some of the subtle differences between terminal effects of hydrostatic shock and hydraulic action of meplat wounding characteristics at higher speeds (say above 1,000'ish fps?).

At least my observations on tasty animals I've shot and have seen others shoot with big flat point bullets. The permanent wound track tends to be larger than the caliber, and something like a 357 or 44 Keith style bullet going 1300-1400 fps seems to pack way more punch than it should. Not always, but often enough there is something there. I've seen too many bang-flops from "underpowered" straight wall handgun cartridges. As I recall Col. Doug Wesson used his 8" S&W shooting a 158gr SWC at about 1500fps and down an awful lot of big game with it at distances most would scoff at using a handgun. And he wasn't emptying an entire cylinder either. I believe most of them were 1-2 shot affairs.

It makes me ponder too all those "one-shot stops" from the 125gr 357 Magnum semi-jacketed hollow point doing about 1400-1500fps.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I once worked with a Crime Lab guy that spent a lot of time trying to replicate this. About the time he was ready to say it was a myth , He finally caught one. He also spent a lot of time on handgun Hydrostatic Shock. If you liked bullets and what they would or wouldn't do, He was the guy to know! DR

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I can delete my post...
    No worries. Just kidding.
    patkelly4370 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Did someone say MAGNUM?
    With or without PI?
    M1911A1 and Bad Bob like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Giving legs to the old sayin' "He got smoked"

It makes me want a 44 Magnum. For a moment.
    I have a .41;it's thrilling enough
    M1911A1 likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Q. "Do you smoke, after being shot?"

A. "No. Only after sex."
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Gotta burp them blocks beforehand, so they won't be so gassy !!!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links