Steel Cases Vs Brass Cases for 9mm.

This is a discussion on Steel Cases Vs Brass Cases for 9mm. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and got about four pages of hits but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Is there a difference in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Steel Cases Vs Brass Cases for 9mm.

I did a search and got about four pages of hits but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a difference in using ammo in steel cases Vs brass? Difference related to wear in the firearm. Seems like the steel may cause more wear to loading ramp, breech, etc.

I'm looking at cheap ammo for practice and finding some deals on steel cased ammo. I don't reload for 9mm ( I do for 40sw, 44mag, 223rem, and 308win.)
    5lima30ret and ETXhiker like this.
    NRA Life Member - U.S. Navy '68 - '72

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Why DON"T you reload for 9mm?
    Terry 2.0 likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    A lot of people swear by steel case ammo, mostly because it's cheap. I associate it with sloppy manufacturing that will, in large enough amounts, accelerate wear on a good firearm. I avoid it like the plague.
    Terry 2.0 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

read even a fraction of those 4 pages from your search and you'd have the info you're looking for.
    Terry 2.0 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I suspect objective testing has not been done to evaluate the difference. I suspect it would take tens of thousands of rounds to be able to measure any difference in wear between the two.

I'm simply not a fan of steel-cased ammo with the exception of my SKS, which eats that stuff up like m&ms. I ran a few hundred rounds of the Wolf 5.56 steel-cased stuff (don't recall if it had the coating on the steel) through an AR without problem as a pre-emptive function check, in case one day all I could get was steel cased.

For handguns, the case pressures are generally so much lower than in rifle calibers that wear on the gun would be secondary to proper functioning, namely feeding, extraction and ejection. While it's true that steel is harder than brass, the steel used for cartridge cases is pretty mild stuff and it's not like you're slamming carbide tool bits into your chamber. I think the extractor might show wear faster than other parts under the hook, where the cartridge rim slides in as the round is fed from the magazine.

If your gun works OK with steel-cased ammo, go for it, and just keep an eye on things like extractor, breech face and magazine follower for signs of wear.

And with all the money you save by shooting steel-cased 9mm, buy yourself some nice 9mm reloading dies!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    read even a fraction of those 4 pages from your search and you'd have the info you're looking for.
    Well, I did read a 'fraction' of the pages - I guess not the right fraction, though.
    ShooterGranny, OD* and SAXDM9 like this.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TimGunn View Post
    Why DON"T you reload for 9mm?
    There are some pretty good deals on bulk 9mm - $.17 - .14 /round so I didn't think the ROI was really that good to justify the die cost.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Thomas Jefferson

I reload with Berrys foe about .13 a round. Now I shoot a lot so I see the benefits. If I cast my own and powdercoat it goes to .07 a round. That equates to $70.00 per K. It is not just the money, it is a stress releaser as you know. I have a higher stressed job and it works for me.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

I don't use steel case ammo in my handguns but shoot a lot of it in my AR's (one is 9 mm) and my AK-pistol. I have had zero problems in AR & AK platforms other than being somewhat dirty.
    Terry 2.0 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I don't shoot steel-cased ammo because I reload everything I shoot except .22s.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I've shot steel cased in the past without any functional issues. It did seem to burn a lot dirtier though. I don't have any empirical evidence to support that though. I can afford quality brass ammo.
    ETXhiker and Terry 2.0 like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Cartridge cases made of mild steel have been around for at least 100 years. Usually resorted to during wartime as an expedient due to the demands for brass (and the copper and zinc from which cartridge brass is made), mild steel cases can perform very well. The most common problem is not excessive wear on the firearm, but extraction issues caused by the greater resistance of mild steel in comparison with brass cases. This is usually overcome by coating the mild steel cases with a varnish or shellac finish that increases lubricity during the extraction cycle.

In military use there is little difference between mild steel cases and brass when used in small arms ammo. But military arms are not expected to last a lifetime (or be passed on to succeeding generations), with routine arsenal-level service and overhaul a part of most military small arms' service lives.

Very few sporting or recreational shooters will ever fire enough ammunition to seriously degrade their firearms. There are far greater factors in wearing out a quality firearm, such as neglect or improper cleaning methods.

I wouldn't worry overly much about shooting a few thousand steel-cased rounds in a 9mm pistol. I seriously doubt that one could ever measure any levels of wear or tear that would not be present with an equal amount of use with brass-cased ammo.
    gasmitty and Terry 2.0 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Function and reliability. For the cost of a new extractor and spring over the course of 20k rounds the difference in price is more than made up for by the low cost of the steel ammo.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I have been shooting steel cased ammo for years shot thousands of rounds of it and have had no issues with premature wear on anything as of yet... it’s cheap and goes bang ...

Its cheep ... For 9mm etc I dont see the point as brass 9mm is like 10 boxs a box or so about what steel is give or take a buck

For some guns I like steel more ( esp roller lock guns they mangle the brass something good ) and of course any commie block gun works great with it
    Terry 2.0 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links