The .40 story - Page 3

The .40 story

This is a discussion on The .40 story within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting read for sure, I didn't know about the .40 B&S. I started out with the .40 S&W (G23) 17 years ago and while I've ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: The .40 story

Interesting read for sure, I didn't know about the .40 B&S. I started out with the .40 S&W (G23) 17 years ago and while I've had a bit of everything since then, to this day the .40 is my favorite of the bunch. It's unfortunate that it gets a lot of negative attention these days because the .40 S&W really is a very versatile cartridge that works quite well on the range, loaded up for self defense, or even in the woods. Loaded lightly for competition use the .40 recoils very mildly, we all know it has great options for self defense loads and I can load my Glock 35 to shoot a 180gr bullet at around 1300 fps, which is 10mm territory. The .40 S&W offers a lot, too bad many don't see it that way.

When I started with my dept. back in 1996, they were just switching to the .40 S&W round. It wasn't known whether we would be the last class issued 9mm or the first class to receive the .40s (we got the .40 version). The dept. was issuing the S&W 4043 DAO pistols. We had lots of trouble with those weapons, with frames cracking to lots of jams. The loads we were using also seemed to change every year. This year it might be Win Ranger 180gr. and the year after it was Fed Hydro-Shok 165gr. In 2001, the dept. finally did extensive testing of both available pistols and rounds. We settled on the DAO version of the Sig P229 and the Speer GD in 180gr. flavor. We now issue the Sig P229R DAK version of pistol but we still issue the same Gold Dots. My dept. has roughly about 2,000 sworn officers and the city is routinely written about as being in the top 5 most dangerous cities in America. In all the years since adoption, neither the Sigs nor the Gold Dots have made us question whether we made the right choices. As for caliber, I'm sure that at some time, the bean counters will partner with the powers that be in the dept. who are enamored of everything the Feds do and we'll switch back to the 9mm. The arguments they'll use will be the same ones being used by the Feds and everyone else switching (it's cheaper per round, less wear & tear on the pistols, easier for officers to qualify with). In other words, it'll all come back to money instead of it being more effective. Do I think the 9mm is ineffective? Absolutely not. Loaded with good SD ammo, it can get the job done. However, all else being equal, the best it can do is equal the effectiveness of the .40 S&W but it will not better it.

If it wasn't for the sufficient 9x19, and .40 S&W, I would never have adopted the more than sufficient .357 SIG for PD.

So, thank you .40 for guiding me to the holy grail of pistol calibers.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    If it wasn't for the sufficient 9x19, and .40 S&W, I would never have adopted the more than sufficient .357 SIG for PD.

So, thank you .40 for guiding me to the holy grail of pistol calibers.
    You are definitely carrying a weak sister if that is your sliding scale. The 9x25 Dillon makes the 357 Sig look like a pop gun.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    You are definitely carrying a weak sister if that is your sliding scale. The 9x25 Dillon makes the 357 Sig look like a pop gun.
    Of course there is more powerful ammo. But the .357 SIG provides the performance 'I personally' expect from PD ammo while still being manageable.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    You know something G-man? Your avatar is really exactly what a .45 muzzle looks like when shoved in one's nose. I remember it well. It's "cavernous"!
    G-man* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You know something G-man? Your avatar is really exactly what a .45 muzzle looks like when shoved in one's nose. I remember it well. It's "cavernous"!
    I think the slim profile of the slide adds to the effect. But yes; it certainly does have the intimidation factor.
    OldVet and Marc_Brooks like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links