Defensive Carry banner

Interesting new 12 gauge load

6K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  demanic 
#1 ·
Just ran across this today. What do you folks think?

Federal FORCE X2 Shotgun Ammo — 00 Buckshot That Splits In Half

One of the mad scientists at Federal Premium has probably thought once “what if to load split-shot sinkers into a shotgun shell?” and that’s probably how the Force X2 shotgun ammo was born. Joking aside, this is a really interesting buckshot design. These copper-plated double ought buckshot pellets are slotted and split in half upon impact! So what we have here is basically fragmenting buckshot.

Animation Ammunition Muscle

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...shotgun-ammo-00-buckshot-that-splits-in-half/

See less See more
#2 ·
It really sounds like a very expensive alternative to #4 buckshot. #4 buckshot is recommended by a lot of people for home defense. It contains approximately 21 pellets of .24 caliber shot.
This "new" stuff will have 9 pellets of .32 caliber shot that split in half after impact. So, 18 pellets of what size?
I would stick with #4 buckshot myself and skip the gimmick stuff.
I have no doubt you would save a bundle of money as well.

PS. I am really sounding like a bit of a naysyer this morning but, trying to keep it real and a lot of this stuff they are trying to get us to pay a premium price for is just snake oil and unicorn tears. My opinion as always.

#6 ·
#3 ·
Would be interesting to see how this load patterns due to what I think would be less aerodynamic properties of the shot. At close range, however, likely wouldn’t matter.

#5 ·
forester58, do you have a line on those unicorn tears?

#9 ·
A CO I had in the Navy who had been in country in Vietnam said a lot of good things about flechette rounds for defense. They used them against raids on the airfield. They were not good for distance, but close up they were wicked and the enemy had a great fear of them, because the wounds were hard to treat. Surprisingly, they are legal in all but a few states.

Eyelash Cosmetics Metal

#10 ·
A CO I had in the Navy who had been in country in Vietnam said a lot of good things about flechette rounds for defense. They used them against raids on the airfield. They were not good for distance, but close up they were wicked and the enemy had a great fear of them, because the wounds were hard to treat. Surprisingly, they are legal in all but a few states.

View attachment 309756
Those do look nasty. Its amazing what has been loaded into shotgun shells. Noise makers, fire breathers, bean bags,wood dowels, rubber balls filled with OC and my favorite the Macho Gaucho which is 2 balls tethered with a small cable. Confetti ammo for a safe celebratory New Years eve or kids Birthday party.
Here is a site for your entertainment:
https://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html

#14 ·

Sounds like a "non-lethal" load to me. :blink:

The sectional density and penetration for small diameter "round balls" is generally lacking anyway.

Perhaps Federal should offer a similar loading featuring "rice", or "split green peas." :rolleyes:

#25 ·
They were, by idiots who think war has more than one rule. The one rule for fights, and wars, is to live. If things are so bad we need to do some killing, then that's what needs to be done. The stupid rules imposed on the soldiers we are (for the most part) stupidly sending overseas make no sense. Either we need to commit, or keep out. The halfway crap we keep doing the majority of the time doesn't accomplish anything.

Let's face it, when we bombed the Japanese we put fear into our enemies. We did something so horrific it led to many years of relative peace because everyone feared to piss us off. Sometimes we just need to get ugly so the bullies know who to avoid. It sure would be nice if we could get ugly enough to not use nuclear weapons to get that point across again. We need strong leaders that truly care about the nation as a whole again. There just seems like an awful lot of bullies knocking on the door as of late, and I preferred how things were in the Cold War days. At least then we had a clear idea of who the enemy was.

#29 ·

One of the mad scientists at Federal Premium has probably thought once “what if to load split-shot sinkers into a shotgun shell?” and that’s probably how the Force X2 shotgun ammo was born. Joking aside, this is a really interesting buckshot design. These copper-plated double ought buckshot pellets are slotted and split in half upon impact! So what we have here is basically fragmenting buckshot.

View attachment 309740

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...shotgun-ammo-00-buckshot-that-splits-in-half/
When I was still active L.E. we went from 00 to Number 1 Buck as it patterned better and did a better over all job. Not sure about the 00 round fragmenting....I suspect that if it works it might not go 12 - 14" and hence not be as effective.....would like to see the workup on the tests!

#31 ·
Shotgun ammo is pretty boring stuff, compared to the whiz-bang developments in defensive handgun ammo. So "new and improved" always draws attention in that slow-moving field. Every few years, a shotshell maker announces a super-duper, non-toxic load that's going to knock B-52s out of the sky and another load that's "perfect" for home defense. To wit, over a decade ago Remington (re)introduced a mixed-pellet shotshell with bigger shot for longer range and smaller shot for better close-in patterns. Well, the marketplace voted and that load series no longer exists. Aguila (I think) came out with "mini shells" in various loadings, the goal being to stuff a standard mag tube with nearly double the number of rounds of full-length (2-3/4") shells. Not a bad concept if you're a jailer, but the rounds have to function reliably, and that's not been the case with classic pump guns like 870s and 500s.

The one shotshell development that has been productive is the Federal reduced-recoil buckshot load with "Flite Control" wads. You're not going to use these for hunting, but for home defense and LE use they appear to have proven effective. This new offering from Federal seems gimmicky and I predict it won't be around for long, unless by some miracle the FBI adopts it.

#32 ·
Larger "nails" (fleschettes) were also used in air-launched 2.75" anti-personnel rockets and in 105mm howitzer "beehive rounds" (probably the ultimate "great big shotgun"--approx. 4" bore-- for direct-fire applications in perimeter defenses, a variation on "canister rounds" which used a mass of balls similar to large buckshot).
When I was training in artillery at Fort Sill, OK, in 1978 we were shooting the M102 105mm howitzers, and they gave us a couple of Beehive rounds to try out at the end of the day... IMPRESSIVE... 5000 little darts, it just nails everything to the trees...

#34 ·
Hey, I did basic training for ROTC officers to be at Fort Sill in 1970 and got to fire some of those "Beehive" rounds. Nasty stuff. I sure would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those! You could set the range from muzzle to I believe it was 1000 yards before they would POP! I still have some of those flechette darts somewhere. I also had some 40MM grenade launcher cases but they kept disappearing (getting stolen by friends for ash trays).

Antique tool Match

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.