Federal .38 HST ammo

Federal .38 HST ammo

This is a discussion on Federal .38 HST ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your guys thoughts on this?, I watched a bunch of tests on you tube, by the "bigger name " gun channels, but their ...

Like Tree30Likes
  • 2 Post By RedSafety
  • 2 Post By tnsoldier4fun
  • 3 Post By Linejudgemick
  • 3 Post By Cuda66
  • 5 Post By OldChap
  • 5 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 8 Post By Bad Bob
  • 1 Post By buckwheatpaul
  • 1 Post By OldChap

Thread: Federal .38 HST ammo

Federal .38 HST ammo

What are your guys thoughts on this?, I watched a bunch of tests on you tube, by the "bigger name " gun channels, but their results are all over the place, some are good and some are horrible, but nothing consistent.

I like it, but I believe it might get a little too much expansion to get adequate penetration. Jmo.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    What was the purpose of the tests? Did they use the same methods? I saw one that used water bottles. When you mix up testing methodology, you have a difficult time comparing results, especially with ammo. Stick to the gel tests that mimic the FBI standard. Or Paul's ribs and watermellon test.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I think Federal has perfected their HST line to the point that the rounds are about as good as you're going to get in an SD load. My only concern with the .38 HST load is that, if a reload was needed, the fact that they are loaded like an inverted hollow-base wadcutter would make them a tad bit harder to get into the cylinder, thus making them slower to reload. If I decided to use them, I think I would have them in the cylinder and have something like the Rem Golden Sabers in the speed-strip/speed loader.
    OldChap and kerberos like this.

I originally thought they might be the best thing since sliced bread... Until I tried loading them in my 642 using speed loaders. The uniquely flat profile created by the recessed projectiles made getting the rounds started in the cylinder difficult at best. I will still use them, but not with my speed loaders. YMMV.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Not sure what other tests are out there on Youtube but LuckyGunner, Mr.GunsnGear all had tests that showed positive results.

I carry the HST in my LCR with Golden Sabers in a speed strip for a reload. The wadcutter like profile is just too difficult to reload quickly and efficiently.

A few tests Ive seen show it works well out of a 2+ barrel, but out of sub 2 barrels, fails to expand.

Ill stick with my FBI loads in my 442.
    BigJon10125, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

This is a much better site for comparing various standard loads.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...cs-test/#38spl
    kerberos, OlCop, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I just keep my .38 loaded with Buffalo Bore 38 special 150g lead wadcutters.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001521580

Quote Originally Posted by tstocklin View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on this?, I watched a bunch of tests on you tube, by the "bigger name " gun channels, but their results are all over the place, some are good and some are horrible, but nothing consistent.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons make people fat.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    This is the load, right?

Federal claims these attributes for the loading.

-Heavy bullet and lower velocity decreases felt recoil and noise
    -Expanded diameter and weight retention produce the desired penetration for self-defense situations, without over-penetrating
    -Bullet nose profile, nickel-plated case and Federal primer provide the ultimate in function and reliability in semi-automatic handguns
    -Clean-burning, low-flash propellants

Caliber: 38 Special +P
    Bullet Weight: 130
    Bullet Style: HST
    Muzzle Velocity: 890
    Test Barrel Length In: 4-V
    Package Quantity: 20
    Usage: Personal Defense

The 130 grain weight is not a heavy bullet in .38 Special. The velocity is too feeble for a fairly light 130 grain .38 Special bullet. Gotta wonder if it's any better than any other supposed expanding bullet types. Unless one is using the relatively uncommon Smith & Wesson Model 52, a target grade automatic chambered for the .38 Special wadcutter and ill suited for personal defense, it won't matter about the function and reliability of the .38 Special cartridge in semi-automatic handguns. Low-flash has some merit in a defense scenario. Clean burning is great if one likes to shirk his cleaning and maintenance duties.

It's expensive for what it is.

This loading doesn't fire my imagination. Heavily charged 158 grain semi-wadcutter loads have proven themselves for me in .38 Special use in the field and are what is chosen for defensive use.
    OD*, BigJon10125, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love it...... Load an expensive hollowpoint so slow the hollowpoint is useless.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    This is a much better site for comparing various standard loads.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...cs-test/#38spl
    I agree with OldChap.....this is a great site to see how various loads work!
    OldChap likes this.

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Where are these tests where it didn't work? All I've seen has been positive, especially from snubbie length barrels which it was designed for.

Heavily charged 158 grain semi-wadcutter...
    My issue with these is that in a light (LCR) snubbie in the hands of Mrs. OldChap, the recoil is just not something she wants to handle.

Quite frankly, I am not recoil sensitive, never have been, but if I just want that level of punishment, I'll opt for a 1700fps 125gr .357 Mag. There is also the issue of penetration with zero expansion. 158 gr LSWC loads need very soft lead or there is no expansion whatsoever. But then you have to remove the extensive leading from the whole revolver. There is an alternative:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785699889209

You get decent penetration and a better wound channel - at least in test media.

I understand the tradeoff between penetration and expansion. I will just never forget my father in law easily surviving 9mm FMJ hits in WWII. Great penetration, but 2 weeks in the field hospital and he was good to go. Like being stabbed with an icepick which didn't disrupt anything important going through.

The engineers at Federal working on the HST seem to be able to get decent penetration, adequate expansion, and not break wrists with a hand-held cannon. IMHO they have been worthy of my trust. I've seen HST's work in the field. As always though, each of us must make our own choices.
    entertainment72 likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

I like them, but as mentioned, because of their design, using a speedloader with these isn't so speedy.

Sponsored Links