Wadcutters-Pros and Cons?

This is a discussion on Wadcutters-Pros and Cons? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a retirement party recently for a friend that did 30 years on The Job and there was an old timer that was ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Wadcutters-Pros and Cons?

I was at a retirement party recently for a friend that did 30 years on The Job and there was an old timer that was our Training Officer when we were rookies. The topic of ammo came up and he swore that the 158 gr+P Wadcutters in our .38's was the best street ammo and more effective that the present day 124 gr+P Hollow Points that Cops are carrying in their Glock 19's. What are the pros and cons of the Wadcutters? Thanks for your opinions.---Sturgis
    S&W 340 M&P .357
    S&W 640 and S&W 64 .38 Spl
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

flh
    They make really nice round holes in paper targets .

Never heard of the +P wadcutter.

Maybe he was referring to the semi wadcutter version ?

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

NYC used the semi-wadcutters as their primary load in revolvers for many years. The 38+Ps were known to often bounce off windshields & such. Advocating the semi-wadcutters (& revolvers by default) would only be done by indoctrinated old-timers (my generation).
    The semi-wadcutters were solid (soft) lead and had deformation issues with obstacles, but also had less ricochet problems which would matter, somewhat, in densely populated areas.
    The introduction of the Glock 9mms was an obvious upgrade, but NYC even managed to mess that up with their 12lb trigger policy (due to NDs). Wadcutters & semi-wadcutters are both relegated to range use and do not offer any advantages for LE or citizen defensive carry.

Just noticed, this is my first post in over 2 years.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

With the plethora of excellent SD ammo available on the market today, I have no reason to carry bullets intended for the target range.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    ...Just noticed, this is my first post in over 2 years.
    Welcome back!
    "...as politics in Washington and elsewhere grows increasingly un-moored from reality, humanist wisdom provides us with one final consolation: There is no greater lesson from the past than the intractability of human folly." Heather Mac Donald

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Just noticed, this is my first post in over 2 years.
    Finger cramps for two years?
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    150gr. BB Wadcutters in my Mod. 36...…...I like round holes....omo.
    pete950 and BamaT like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

Senior Moderator
    Must have meant the various 158 grain +P semi-wadcutter loadings.

I seem to recall that some supplier offered +P 148 grain bevel-based wadcutter load, but a cursory internet search doesn't uncover any. Some dig the reversed 148 grain hollow-based wadcutter concept, but I'm not interested in that. Because I'm an old timer I would prefer the heavier +P 158 grain .38 Special load over the +P 124 grain 9mm load, even though I don't believe there's a dime's difference in effectiveness between the two. I like the weight and like the wadcutter shape of semi-wadcutter bullets.

Being a geezer I also believe the world is flat and astronauts really didn't walk on the moon.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have some 148 gr. hollowbase wadcutters from. " X-Treme"... they are flash plated.
    If I cut 4 serrations, using a cutting disk from my dremel tool on the hollow base side . Load that big hollow point end up.
    Using 5.5 gr. (as a starting load) of Unique powder , do any of you see the benifits or maybe problems , with my imaginary project ?

Big hollowpoint , if I load them somewhat above flush level.

Suggestions?
    NRA member..... SIG P227 (Nitron Carry) S&W mod. 58 ; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); Beretta 92s Colt Python (nickel)8 in. ; ★SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    .41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

Senior Moderator
    You'll likely get around 950 fps from a snub, 1000 fps from a 4-inch barrel. They may open. The serrations may help, or they may squash shut. They will be more difficult to consistently load from a speed loader if that is important to you.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't use target wadcutters but, I do use wadcutters in my 2" barrel 38's.
    Wadcutters-Pros and Cons?-rossi-m88.jpg
    Buffalo Bore 150 grain hardcast wadcutters to be exact. These are pushing 860 fps with standard pressure from my 2". Not a target load.
    If I jump up to a 4" barrel I prefer 158 grain LSWCHP +P. which gets that soft lead cup up to about 1,150 fps.

There were some that many years ago for self-defense actually advocated loading hollow based wadcutters backwards in .38 Specials and even .357 Magnums when fired in the shorter barrels claiming they made them like a super hollow point. Does any other old-timers remember that trend? I think it was around the late 70s or so. I saw articles on it back then.

I don't know of any hp that will reliably expand out of a lightweight 2 1/2" to 3" Bulldog .44 special, but these will act differently then a round nose projectile that will or can't expand.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785707360313
    BamaT likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    There were some that many years ago for self-defense actually advocated loading hollow based wadcutters backwards in .38 Specials and even .357 Magnums when fired in the shorter barrels claiming they made them like a super hollow point. Does any other old-timers remember that trend? I think it was around the late 70s or so. I saw articles on it back then.
    They would give you a perfect mushroom in mud, but many (some) would keyhole out of my 4" Model 19.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    Yes, I remember. I used to load them up like that. I remember testing one on a single gallon milk jug filled with water one time in the winter. I shot it from about 10 feet, and got pretty wet in near freezing temperatures. Most people think it isn't a good load these days, due to shallow penetration, tumbling beyond 10 yds, etc. I don't use them anymore, but I think you could do a lot worse in a .38 snubby.
    viney266 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links