Thoughts on cheap range ammo?

Thoughts on cheap range ammo?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on cheap range ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to see if there's any negatives in shooting cheep range rounds to get in for training or having friends over to shoot. I ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Thoughts on cheap range ammo?

Question Thoughts on cheap range ammo?

Just wanted to see if there's any negatives in shooting cheep range rounds to get in for training or having friends over to shoot. I was looking at FMJ Wolf Performance Box that is 12 cents a bullet so I wanted to know if there's any pros or cons with buying cheep.

Wolf uses steel cases. I'll put it through an AK, but nothing else. I've broken an extractor on steel S&B. S&B does make brass cased ammo that is good. Aguila is good range ammo too. Cheap ball ammo in similar weight to your performance ammunition is great.

This is good too: https://www.freedommunitions.com
    bklynboy likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

You didn't mention what caliber you are shooting for 12 cents/round...

I used Independence 9x19 with an aluminum case for a short while, but after a few times with a case getting stuck in the chamber and having to use a wood dowel to get the stuck cases out, I went back to brass only for my Walthers. Not worth the $3 dollars I saved on 1000 round orders. Other than the stuck case problems, it shot well.

I guess I could put a lube on the aluminum cases, but for the small difference in price, why bother? If you buy in 1000 round quantities, you can get brass 9x19 for between 17 and 20 cents per round.
    Nmuskier, gasmitty and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't shoot steel cased ammo if it was free. Not in my guns Anyway.

Brass only here and I refuse to give the Russians my money.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Iíll be the contrarian here.

I see no issues in running steel ammo for practice; I did for yearsó10ís of kís of 9mm and .45, and only had 1 issue with the older lacquered case ammo (which you donít see in pistol ammo anymore, and rarely see in anything outside of surplus 7.62)with a stuck case. The money saved would have easily paid for a new extractor, or even barrel many times over had I had issues, to boot.

I distinctly remember one test I ran involving a PD trade-in, gen 2 Glock 21. I bought it for a whopping $250, and it was filthy, so I decided to test to failure. I ran nothing but steel case (Wolf, Silver/Brown Bear, Tula, etc) through it for 2-3 years, somewhere will north of 5k rounds...it got sluggish somewhere around 3k iirc, but a little lube and it kept on chugging.

No broken extractors. No stuck cases. No noticeable change in accuracy.

A buddy's son was looking for a cheap defensive pistol, so I cleaned it up, replaced the recoil spring, and sold it to him for what I had in it. That was about 8 years ago, give or take, and he's still shooting it, never mentioned any issues.

The foofooraw over steel cased pistol ammo is much ado about nothing, imho. About the only thing Iíd do if I was running it for practice in my ďdaily driverĒ is be diligent about cleaning; yes, the steel cases donít seal as well, and do cause more powder residue to build up...but, as I found out with that Glock...it takes a LOT to choke the pistol.

Since then, I discovered the joys of reloading with a buddy who has a Dillon...cheaper still, and I just have to bring components and beer for him...he drinks the beer, I work the press. It's a good system.
    G-man*, ShooterGranny and airslot like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I shoot the cheapest range ammo I can possibly make just about always.
    airslot likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I've had less than satisfactory performance from too many SovBloc cartridges. These days, Winchester White Box is what I use more than anything else. Not flawless, but it'll do.

And steel cased ammo? No thanks.
    airslot and Nmuskier like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Iíll be the contrarian here.

The foofooraw over steel cased pistol ammo is much ado about nothing, imho.
    My foofooraw is I can't reload the empties! I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and get recyclables.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My foofooraw is I can't reload the empties! I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and get recyclables.
    Actually, you CAN reload steel cases (I've never done it, but have seen it done on the interwebs). I seem to recall itís a bit of a PITA, though. Not sure about pistol cases, but most of the rifle cases are Berdan primed, so extra steps are involved...

This guy reloaded some .45, seemed to go OK.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Oh shoot, I didn't put the caliber I was shooting. 9mm since they they are going into my daily carries I'm don't want to do anything that would prohibit the gun from going off or extra ware and tear on the firearm. I'm fine with paying the premium if its worth it but if I can get a cheaper ammo and it doesn't really have a down side then why not.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Actually, you CAN reload steel cases (I've never done it, but have seen it done on the interwebs). I seem to recall itís a bit of a PITA, though. Not sure about pistol cases, but most of the rifle cases are Berdan primed, so extra steps are involved...
    Let me carefully rephrase my last statement . . . I won't reload steel.

Reloading can be enough of a time consumer and PITA, so I don't need enough extra steps over the extra ones I add in already.
    airslot, Cuda66 and flintlock62 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Many ranges disallow steel case ammo.
    sammeow likes this.
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

I can get brass cheap enough that at least to me there is no reason to go steel. I have shot a lot of aluminum in the 45 with no issues though just never tried it in 9mm.
    There are skill drills that I only run with my carry ammo though because it needs to be the same as a defensive use of the gun. I suppose if you got something similar as far as charge and weight it would be OK but, I prefer the real stuff I am carrying for timed drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Wolf uses steel cases. I'll put it through an AK, but nothing else. I've broken an extractor on steel S&B. S&B does make brass cased ammo that is good. Aguila is good range ammo too. Cheap ball ammo in similar weight to your performance ammunition is great.

This is good too: https://www.freedommunitions.com
    +1. For practice ammo I use nothing but Freedom Munitions. From the reliability, you would never know they are reloads
    Nmuskier likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links