Ammo Shortage

Ammo Shortage

This is a discussion on Ammo Shortage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was advised by a reliable source, that there is going to be a severe ammo shortage due to Covid19 Panic Buying. I usually buy ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Ammo Shortage

Ammo Shortage

I was advised by a reliable source, that there is going to be a severe ammo shortage due to Covid19 Panic Buying. I usually buy my Reloading Components from Midway when they offer Free Shipping. Just out of Curiousity I checked their website, and many Common Bullets, and Ammo are "Out of Stock". After the .22 Rimfire Famine of several years ago I have been ordering Reloading components and Rimfire ammo every month when Midway offers to ship for free. I have ample supplies of both. I don't know if this is the SHTF type situation that the Preppers have been talking about, But it may be a good idea to stock up.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Yup, if you think you might need it, grab some if you find it. I'm keeping my eyes open for it and grabbing a box or 2 as I find it. I think this will pass in a few weeks, by Easter.
    MPGunther likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Nipperdog View Post
    I was advised by a reliable source, that there is going to be a severe ammo shortage due to Covid19 Panic Buying. I usually buy my Reloading Components from Midway when they offer Free Shipping. Just out of Curiousity I checked their website, and many Common Bullets, and Ammo are "Out of Stock". After the .22 Rimfire Famine of several years ago I have been ordering Reloading components and Rimfire ammo every month when Midway offers to ship for free. I have ample supplies of both. I don't know if this is the SHTF type situation that the Preppers have been talking about, But it may be a good idea to stock up.
    Here we go.
    halem1, hogdaddy, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I learned my lesson after the last shortage. This one will have minimal, if any, impact on my shooting or readiness.
    Tstone, hogdaddy, Kenny53 and 9 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    oh no! people are panic buying again? Didn't they learn anything last time?

Have plenty of components & ammo, No need to panic ; ) PS Lesson learned from 1994
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

SGA is not taken any more orders as of today 10 days ship at min for ones on books ..Lines around the block for gun stores and ammo store in some states .... People are worried but if you have not been buying ammo the last 3 or 4 years why.....
    airslot, DZUS, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Since I just got a new tactical shotgun, I ordered a case of 00 buck on Friday, since I had almost none on hand to use for practice and to keep some for defensive purposes. Targetsports had 99+ cases on hand on Friday. Today, I got a notice that their shipping could be delayed for up to 10 days, that they had hired in additional help, that they were running overtime, etc. My order still shipped today but their inventory is pretty low right now and they indicated their prices would be going up.

Otherwise, I am in pretty good shape on everything else.
    airslot, DZUS, viney266 and 1 others like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

VIP Member
    The lessons of 2013 apparently went unlearned for some.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Roll your own. I have about 10,000 rounds worth of components sitting in my lockers.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    There have been previous threads responding to some form of the question, "How much ammo is enough?" In the past, however, responses have been based on more hypothetical considerations.

Based on your sentiments today, what do you really feel "comfortable" with relative to ammunition inventory? Any answer that attempts to quantify the amount you feel you need is obviously preferred over a general statement that "one can never have too much" and similar comments.

I have about 1,500 rounds of 5.56/.223 REM for AR-15 rifles. I have about 1,000 rounds of 9mm for a variety of handguns. I have about 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition for Model 1911 handguns. I have about 2,500 rounds of .22 ammunition for a few rifles and handguns. I have about 500 rounds of 12-guage and about 100 rounds of 16-guage shotgun ammo in field loads for hunting and some heavier rounds for defense. I also have about 100 rounds of .38 Special ammo for revolvers that belong to my wife.

I live in a very rural area with no close neighbors. I can shoot on my own property any time I feel like getting in a little practice but I am not a hard core shooting range maven. As a Marine combat veteran (RVN 1969-1970) I feel very comfortable with my basic skills and take some solace in the fact that while on active duty I never went to a rifle or pistol range more than twice a year and yet I always felt confident in my basic abilities.

I suspect I am on the low side of average in my ammo inventory but I may be in for some surprises as I see other responses.
    bill35738 and airslot like this.

I like a minimum of 1,000 on any caliber I own.
    G26Raven and Kenny53 like this.

The panic is on again. The LGS is limiting ammo to two boxes per customer. The Oregon State Police background computer check system had a queue of over 400 with about a three to four hour wait when I went by the LGS. Lots of people in buying their first gun.
    airslot likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Two days ago I was able to buy 1000 9mm rounds but I paid an extra $100 above normal. 500 .40 S&W cost me $50 above normal. My fault for not getting them before prices went up but I am glad I was able to get the order in on them as I had very little 9mm and no .40 S&W at all.
    Nipperdog likes this.

VIP Member
    The price of brass cased good 9mm range ammo was 16 to 19 cents per round in case lots just a very few weeks ago. It is now 24 to 29 cents a round for the same brands IF there is any in stock at the on line merchants.

Darned. I knew I should have ordered another case for Gramps last month even though he doesn't need any and probably won't for some time since he shoots other calibers as well as 9mm!
    airslot likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links