Prograde .357 magnum 200gr hard cast "bear grade" in clear ballistics gel.

This is a discussion on Prograde .357 magnum 200gr hard cast "bear grade" in clear ballistics gel. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Test Gun: Smith & Wesson Model 65 Barrel length: 3 Inches Ammunition: Prograde .357 Magnum 200gr Hard Cast. Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel. Distance: ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By 5pins
  • 2 Post By forester58
  • 1 Post By dripster
  • 1 Post By forester58

Thread: Prograde .357 magnum 200gr hard cast "bear grade" in clear ballistics gel.

Test Gun: Smith & Wesson Model 65
    Barrel length: 3 Inches
    Ammunition: Prograde .357 Magnum 200gr Hard Cast.
    Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 1097fps
    Gel Temperature: 71

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/

I use Littlestone 200 grain or Grizzly 200 grain in my 5" GP100 as my Grizzly load. I have fired it from a 3" SP101 and while controllable it bucks hard.
    G-man* and Nmuskier like this.

Looks like a great carry load for my area!
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have run some Grizzly 200 grain hard cast through my 4" Model 28. They grouped really well on paper. Recoil wasn't bad. The guy beside me at the range said pretty impressive fireball.

I have a box of the Buffalo Bore 180 grain cast for Bear season in my Ruger SP101 snubbie.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I use Littlestone 200 grain or Grizzly 200 grain in my 5" GP100 as my Grizzly load. I have fired it from a 3" SP101 and while controllable it bucks hard.
    You feel comfortable using that combo on Grizzlies? I was told nothing smaller than a 44 magnum.
    forester58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    You feel comfortable using that combo on Grizzlies? I was told nothing smaller than a 44 magnum.
    Yes, and I work around the cute furry creatures most of the year. The boars are already out of their dens. The 44 mag thing is often repeated and its certainly not a bad idea if you can shoot one with extreme accuracy under duress and likely one handed as well. A 200 grain 357 magnum will go as deep as a 300 grain 44 magnum assuming they are both hardcast flat nosed bullet construction as that is where the sectional density of each caliber is about level.
    The real answer is I always carry bear spray in the appendix position and that would likely be my first choice anyway and when the likelihood of getting a shot off is very rare and if you do it will be just one shot I go for maximum control and maximum penetration because accuracy is all that matters at that time. I would take a 357 over a 10mm any day of the week as the 10mm does not get the same penetration.
    When I can I would rather carry an 870 loaded with heavy duty slugs but, that is not always practical.
    Haywood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Yes, and I work around the cute furry creatures most of the year. The boars are already out of their dens. The 44 mag thing is often repeated and its certainly not a bad idea if you can shoot one with extreme accuracy under duress and likely one handed as well. A 200 grain 357 magnum will go as deep as a 300 grain 44 magnum assuming they are both hardcast flat nosed bullet construction as that is where the sectional density of each caliber is about level.
    The real answer is I always carry bear spray in the appendix position and that would likely be my first choice anyway and when the likelihood of getting a shot off is very rare and if you do it will be just one shot I go for maximum control and maximum penetration because accuracy is all that matters at that time. I would take a 357 over a 10mm any day of the week as the 10mm does not get the same penetration.
    When I can I would rather carry an 870 loaded with heavy duty slugs but, that is not always practical.
    Thank you for the info.

Sponsored Links