When were all down to ball I am packing the 45.

This is a discussion on When were all down to ball I am packing the 45. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know about all of you but, the vast majority of my ammo stash is FMJ. Sure, I have several hundred rounds of JHP ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: When were all down to ball I am packing the 45.

I don't know about all of you but, the vast majority of my ammo stash is FMJ. Sure, I have several hundred rounds of JHP for each caliber but, what happens when that runs dry if we really have to use it? At that point I am down to round ball and then the oft repeated point "modern ammo has made all calibers the same" mantra starts to fall apart in my opinion.
    The 45acp and the 357 magnum will become the primary then. Since I will be back to caveman ammo I am going bigger and/or faster.
    OD*, Holmes375, Gabill and 7 others like this.

Forester58, I don't think it's going to matter much if things get that bad.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

45 Auto. “ They all fall to ball”
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I don't know about all of you but, the vast majority of my ammo stash is FMJ. Sure, I have several hundred rounds of JHP for each caliber but, what happens when that runs dry if we really have to use it? At that point I am down to round ball and then the oft repeated point "modern ammo has made all calibers the same" mantra starts to fall apart in my opinion.
    The 45acp and the 357 magnum will become the primary then. Since I will be back to caveman ammo I am going bigger and/or faster.
    I will have transitioned to the 5.45 and 7.62 well before I run out of handgun carry ammo.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

If I survive enough gunfights to go through all my defensive ammo, which is about what you probably have, I will go down in the record books. And I’ll be very deaf.

Senior Moderator
    You need to move out of that neighborhood...
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

One of the things that have always been endearing for me about the 45Auto, that also applies to revolvers using Keith style bullets in about any commonly used SD caliber is, you can, to a great degree, ignore the rat race that leads to more expense for a negligible return on performance.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

By the time I get down to ball only, my front yard will look like this.

Name:  th (7).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  8.4 KB

And yeah, that's me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

All ammo is self-defense, some are just better than others. I picked up some self-defense ammo in .338 Winchester Magnum the other day.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Yep I think for most people on here if we are down to FMJ and target loads things have gone very very very wrong and the gov is not really there ..Most gunfights in a SD rold only last what a few rounds at most so if we are going trough 50 -100-200-300 rounds of SD ammo oh dear
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

How many gunfights are you planning on getting in during the pandemic?

And as one shooting instructor I had used to say, "How much ammo you need depends on how much you plan on missing."
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    How many gunfights are you planning on getting in during the pandemic?

And as one shooting instructor I had used to say, "How much ammo you need depends on how much you plan on missing."
    Well, you know. Zombie apocalypse and all.

VIP Member
    I only have ball ammo in .45, .357, and.44.
    It will Keell.

In 10mm, 357 Sig and 45 GAP I only have JHP - I could build the wall from 300 movie that @OldVet posted before I ran out of niche HP.
    Then I could start on the 45 acp, 40 S&W and 9mm HP ... I would likely be out of toilet paper before I was out of HP. (I learned from the past ammo panics).
    But yes, if all the HP was gone and I still had food, beer and something to wipe with, 45 FMJ would be preferred over 40 or 9mm FMJ.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Well, you know. Zombie apocalypse and all.
    Some among us are less than optimistic about our fellow mankind. Having witnessed a few riots you may want to invest in fire extinguishers. Rioters come in packs, their not looking for those that resist but those that are submissive/frightened. When Martin Luther King was assassinated we trained for riot control at Lejeune but were not deployed thus I ended up deployed to 3Rd BN 8th Marines at GITMO. One of the things we were taught concerning riot control was to take out the leaders of the rioters.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links