Pretty cool ammo find from the past!! - Page 2

Pretty cool ammo find from the past!!

This is a discussion on Pretty cool ammo find from the past!! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G-man* I shot 2. 698 and 724 Fps. Pretty cool! And it was Unique powder. Which makes me have to wonder if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Pretty cool ammo find from the past!!

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I shot 2.

698 and 724 Fps. Pretty cool! And it was Unique powder.

Which makes me have to wonder if these are possibly some of my old handloads from years ago that he was using for something while I was away in the service.

Either way, itís kind of neat , I thought.
    Is that a 'home cast' semi-wadcutter, or is it a commercial one? Either way, with that bullet and Unique powder, I'd say hand-loaded target loads, for sure. Great find!
    G-man*, airslot and matthew03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    Is that a 'home cast' semi-wadcutter, or is it a commercial one? Either way, with that bullet and Unique powder, I'd say hand-loaded target loads, for sure. Great find!
    They are definitely cast. We use to cast all our own back then.

Neat thing is thatís exactly what Iím still carrying and loading in my j frame.
    Henry9008, airslot and matthew03 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Neat thing is that’s exactly what I’m still carrying and loading in my j frame.

If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.
    Henry9008 and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

They are definitely cast. We use to cast all our own back then.

Neat thing is thatís exactly what Iím still carrying and loading in my j frame.
    Save at least one, I have a small wooden chest with a bunch of little things my Maternal Grandfather owned, "Papa's" old timex, cuff links, tie pens and small award pendants, N&W Railroad badges and trinkets, tons of tiny shark teeth, things he whittled, etc. He largely made me a lover of the outdoors and shooter. I love to go through that chest every couple years.
    maxwell97 and G-man* like this.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Save at least one, I have a small wooden chest with a bunch of little things my Maternal Grandfather owned, "Papa's" old timex, cuff links, tie pens and small award pendants, N&W Railroad badges and trinkets, tons of tiny shark teeth, things he whittled, etc. He largely made me a lover of the outdoors and shooter. I love to go through that chest every couple years.
    Document all the items. One day it may show up on "Antiques Roadshow".

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    matthew03 likes this.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Retired about 5 years ago, sold the business, purchased the retirement home, did away with a lot of old stuff, settled into the retirement home, and spent a lot of time going through lots of old stuff. Found several boxes of ammo I reloaded back in the mid-1980's, all properly labeled, all stored in a climate controlled environment since produced, so no worries about safety or quality.

Since then I have made several trips to the range with ammo labeled (in my own handwriting) as "08-85" or "03-87". It has all been good, no problems at all.

Last 10 years in business I had no time for much of anything. No weekends, no vacations, no holidays, just work 10-14 hours every day, 7 days every week. After settling into the new place I built a new reloading bench, organized all of my equipment, and started cranking out ammo again. Most handgun calibers I load in lots of 1000 rounds at a time, and I regularly shoot 9X19, .38 Special, .357 magnum, .40 S&W, .44 Special, .45ACP, .32-20, .44-40 and a couple of others. Most rifle calibers I load in lots of 100 rounds, including .30-06, .308 Win, .300 Savage, .250-3000, .243, .25-20, .30-30 Win, .33 Win, .45-70, .45-90, .270 Win, .218 Bee, .45 Sharps Express, and a few others.

I found that I had accumulated about 400 lbs. of old wheel weights (from the 1970's and 1980's) along with nearly 100 lbs. of new foundry linotype metal. I have enjoyed running two electric lead pots and working out with a dozen bullet molds, casting thousands of new bullets and working the lubri-sizer machine accordingly.

Beats the heck out of watching stupid television shows! The ammo locker stays full. I go to the indoor range at least once per week (as a member I can come and go 24/7 with an electronic door card) and the outdoor range at least once per month. Several of my antique and vintage 19th and early 20th Century guns are seeing use for the first time in a couple of decades.

Other than the getting old part, retirement is lots of fun.
    gasmitty likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    My Dad has done (still does) exactly the same thing with his pill bottles.

I am also a big fan of using film canisters to store six rounds of .38/.357- five rim down, one rim up in the center.

Works great!

Luckily, I have a big stash of those canisters from the 90's and early 00's.
    These days, film cannisters are probably worth more than the ammo!
    airslot likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links