Defensive Carry banner

.32 H&R Rounds vs. Federal .327 Mags: What's the Difference?

33K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  nn 
#1 ·
I am looking at a Ruger SP101 chambered for .327 Mag & was told that I could shoot the .32 H&R rounds to save money if I wanted to. What's the difference between the two cartridges?

#2 ·
The .327 Federal magnum is essentially a .32 H&R magnum lengthened by 1/8 of an inch.

The .327 Federal magnum has a chamber pressure of around 45,000 psi compared to 20,000 psi for the .32 H&R magnum.

You can shoot .32 H&R magnums in a gun chambered for .327 Federal magnums - but not vice versa.

Like the difference between the .38 special and the longer .357 magnum, where the much higher pressured round was lengthened by 1/10 of an inch to prevent it from being fired in a .38 special chambered gun and blowing it up.

#5 ·
Yes, as you go from the shorter rounds to the longer ones the recoil will increase accordingly.

Be sure to scrub the chambers good with a bore brush and solvent after you shoot the shorter rounds so that you won't have the carbon ring build up that would cause difficulty in chambering the longer .327 Federal magnum cartridge.

Low recoil though is one of the advantages of the .32 H&R and the new .327 Federal magnum cartridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.