Writing a book is not easy - Page 4

Writing a book is not easy

This is a discussion on Writing a book is not easy within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TRX Spend a week editing and sign up for Amazon's Kindle author program. Put a link to it in your tagline. Seriously. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Writing a book is not easy

Distinguished Member Array oldranger53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Spend a week editing and sign up for Amazon's Kindle author program. Put a link to it in your tagline.

Seriously.
    I'll give it some serious thought.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Reading a book is pretty tough too!!!
    Jaeger, drift, OldVet and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Chapter I Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away ..... Chapter II and they lived happily ever after.

See simple could even make 3 or 4 movies from that
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Ask Correia 14: How to be a Professional Author | Monster Hunter Nation

Ask Correia 16: Outlining vs. Pantsing | Monster Hunter Nation

He talks about fiction writing but I do the same thing as a nonfiction author so it still applies.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Q: What kind of writing pays the most?

Sam Clemens: "Ransom notes."
    ccw9mm and oldman45 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Qwit yer whining old man!
    You can just qwit!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Ask Correia 14: How to be a Professional Author | Monster Hunter Nation

Ask Correia 16: Outlining vs. Pantsing | Monster Hunter Nation

He talks about fiction writing but I do the same thing as a nonfiction author so it still applies.
    Hello,

Larry Correia was the first author who inspired me to write fiction (and later non-fiction). And whenever I'm asked about writing a book, I always answer that the learning process is not easy (anyway, writing a book should start with writing something at least). But I never treat writing as a job, as Larry mentioned in his article, it's rather a creative process and I often forget that non-fiction doesn't always allow too many metaphors :)

Lumuss

Ex Member
    As the author of five trade books on various aspects of the business of photography I certainly understand what you are experiencing. In the spirit of sharing I can offer advice about what helped me get the first one finished and published.

Make an outline that with a few words per line covers everything you might want to write about. Do not be concerned about the order as you do it. Just do a brain dump to assure thoroughness. Then delete the lines you think do not fit. Then group the outline items into chapters and start writing.

I found that writing was easier when I just poured out everything I had to say as if I were speaking not writing it. Then I went over it upon completing a chapter. On that second pass I polished the writing to eliminate needless words and assure that brevity improved quality. Do not belabor any point. If you want to emphasize use formatting not repetition.

Keep at it and you will have a manuscript. Edit that manuscript carefully and you will have a deliverable manuscript. Then get ready for the editor to to give you more work to do. After that you will have a book. Do it welll and it will sell. My first book was published in 2004, and it still selling today along with the other four books.

I would wish you good luck but luck has nothing to do with it. Consistent and hard work is the means to the end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links