"Self Defense Laws Of All 50 States" (BOOK)

This is a discussion on "Self Defense Laws Of All 50 States" (BOOK) within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a book I saw recently recommended by Mas Ayoob. Written by a gun-friendly lawyer in Utah, Mitch Vilos covers the important points in, ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Cippee
  • 8 Post By MainframeCoder
  • 2 Post By Eagleks
  • 1 Post By sammeow

Thread: "Self Defense Laws Of All 50 States" (BOOK)

This is a book I saw recently recommended by Mas Ayoob. Written by a gun-friendly lawyer in Utah, Mitch Vilos covers the important points in, yes, ALL 50 STATES! And puts it along with examples and case cites in non-legalese form. You can buy it in book form or e-Book form for $10 at Amazon. 600 pages (!!!) of common-man info for $10 - a steal and a great supplement to handgunlaw. I got mine from Barnes & Noble for their NOOK e-Book reader for $10, also. GET. THIS. BOOK.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 5th, 2016 at 09:07 PM.
    -- Robert
    NRA Patron Member

I went to Amazon and only found a 2013 edition (maybe my search terms missed the mark).
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    I went to Amazon and only found a 2013 edition (maybe my search terms missed the mark).
    Hmmm, don't know. Just went and checked mine. Info is correct. I just read about it this week in AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine in an article by Mas Ayoob.
    -- Robert
    NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I can sum up NY for you. You have to run like a coward until you can no longer run then you can defend yourself. I actually says you have a duty to retreat in the law. The only time you don't is if your on your own property.
    Toolmanbutch likes this.

The problem with any such publication is that gun laws in the various states are changing quickly. It would have incomplete/incorrect info the day it hit the street. A website, such as handgunlaw.us, that can be updated easily/quickly, is probably a better resource.

Quote Originally Posted by MainframeCoder View Post
    The problem with any such publication is that gun laws in the various states are changing quickly. It would have incomplete/incorrect info the day it hit the street. A website, such as handgunlaw.us, that can be updated easily/quickly, is probably a better resource.
    That's what I was thinking too .... geez, about when we get everyone educated, it changes and improves ... so, we are not complaining. But, in a book form, it would be out of date real quick.
    rcsoftexas and ShooterGranny like this.

If it lists Texas OC as of 1/1/16 and campus carry going into effect 8/1/16, then it's maybe current.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

I hope there is a Kindle edition.

But the laws change constantly. There are great web sites with current, up to date info.
    Handgunlaw.us is one.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Well I read alot of books from amazon kindle and it does has a e-book version on kindle then if the author keeps the e-book version currently up dated and has it set with amazon it should auto update your e-book on your kindle when it syncs and detects the updates.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum!" -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus ​(If you want peace, prepare for war)

I live in central NY also. I thought if someone breaks into your home and if you can retreat out another door you must do this. Am I correct? Also do not ever shoot a Criminal in the Back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippee View Post
    I can sum up NY for you. You have to run like a coward until you can no longer run then you can defend yourself. I actually says you have a duty to retreat in the law. The only time you don't is if your on your own property.

In your home you don't have a duty to retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippee View Post
    In your home you don't have a duty to retreat.
    In the early 1980's at least one state did require you to retreat if you were able to do so, even when in your own home. Massachusetts was that state. There were five others at the time.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    This is a book I saw recently recommended by Mas Ayoob. Written by a gun-friendly lawyer in Utah, Mitch Vilos covers the important points in, yes, ALL 50 STATES! And puts it along with examples and case cites in non-legalese form. You can buy it in book form or e-Book form for $10 at Amazon. 600 pages (!!!) of common-man info for $10 - a steal and a great supplement to handgunlaw. I got mine from Barnes & Noble for their NOOK e-Book reader for $10, also. GET. THIS. BOOK.
    I'll stick with Handgunlaw.us better than a book, always up to date
    Member COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Sponsored Links