'Beating the Reaper' by Dr. John Meade

This is a discussion on 'Beating the Reaper' by Dr. John Meade within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4NKHWK...rds=john+meade John is a friend of mine, but don't let that bias you against him. He's an ER physician that has run emergency response programs ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By CR Williams
  • 1 Post By raytracer
  • 1 Post By CR Williams
  • 1 Post By CG11

Thread: 'Beating the Reaper' by Dr. John Meade

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4NKHWK...rds=john+meade

John is a friend of mine, but don't let that bias you against him.

He's an ER physician that has run emergency response programs and done training to many agencies. This book is based on his current trauma care courses for people like us. It details the basics of procedure and equipment and gives you a good idea of how to look at traumatic injury and how to deal with it during and after a shooting incident. Highly recommended.

Also available in print format if you prefer that.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Ordered my copy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Update. Sadly, the Kindle version contains numerous typographical and formatting errors. Here is an example:

Graspthepistolintheuninjuredhandandeitherrelease the slide by pressing the slide release or rack the slide by hooking the rear sight on the heel of your footwear.

Meade, John; Sponte, Sua. Beating The Reaper!!!: Volume One: Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator (Kindle Locations 123-124). UNKNOWN. Kindle Edition.
    Last edited by marcclarke; January 13th, 2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Add upate and example of formatting errors.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Ordered my copy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Update. Sadly, the Kindle version contains numerous typographical and formatting errors. Here is an example:

Graspthepistolintheuninjuredhandandeitherrelease the slide by pressing the slide release or rack the slide by hooking the rear sight on the heel of your footwear.

Meade, John; Sponte, Sua. Beating The Reaper!!!: Volume One: Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator (Kindle Locations 123-124). UNKNOWN. Kindle Edition.
    I'll get that looked at, Marc. I set up the PDF this was done from in a desktop publishing program specifically to avoid this. This is the first time I've seen this happen on Amazon's conversion. I have a feeling I know why and will try and get it corrected as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

www.inshadowinlight.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    I'll get that looked at, Marc. I set up the PDF this was done from in a desktop publishing program specifically to avoid this. This is the first time I've seen this happen on Amazon's conversion. I have a feeling I know why and will try and get it corrected as soon as possible. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    Any plans or schedule to update the Amazon Kindle version with the hundreds of typographic errors fixed? Please?

I have to get another update out to one of my project and then I'll see if it can be reformatted. I feel like I've been swimming through mud to get things done in this area in the last few months.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Thank you, CR Williams, for the information. This is the real value of this forum, the sharing of information that might be difficult to find or which inexperience might blind us to our need.

Calibre is a free ebook library management program, but it also has some very powerful editing tools that might be helpful. I've used it to fix similar issues.
    BadgerJ likes this.

Thanks OP for the heads-up. Ordering a hard copy now.

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Calibre is a free ebook library management program, but it also has some very powerful editing tools that might be helpful. I've used it to fix similar issues.
    It's a good e-reader and management program, but memory says not so much as an editor. I've had to let the publishing companies do the conversions because, believe it or not, it was better than anything I tried independently. The only one that has a good reputation for that, or the best reputation, is only available for Apple computers. It's frustrating in that you would think somebody would look at the indie publishing market increase and figure out they could make some bucks producing a solid conversion product.
    Cpt_Quail likes this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

I have received my copy from Amazon and it looks very informative. It will reside in my trauma kit once I have become somewhat familiar with the contents.
    Holmes375 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    In general Amazon Kindle does not give you a 'personal copy'. IDK about this one. Calibre then has nothing to import. Additionally, fixing those 'missing, run-on spaces' could take a week if it was saveable as a PDF. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    In general Amazon Kindle does not give you a 'personal copy'. IDK about this one. Calibre then has nothing to import. Additionally, fixing those 'missing, run-on spaces' could take a week if it was saveable as a PDF. Just sayin'...
    It's not easy and going to be harder now that I also have non-Amazon outlets that I can't use the same file format with. The first book I self-published was, to say the least, a learning experience. The last one, the latest in the 'Gunfighting....' series, I had to make adjustments when the tried-and-proven process and software that had worked on the three before that crapped out in some ways. Then there are the different format requirements...sigh....

Working on the text for the 2017 update of 'Facing the Active Shooter' now. Once that and the pictures are set, I'll be checking back with John about getting things fixed and setting this book up for the additional outlets. I'll be honest with you all, my personal projects do take priority. But I will be working on this within the next few weeks unless something unexpected prevents that.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Sponsored Links