Finally got the new book out - Page 2

Finally got the new book out

This is a discussion on Finally got the new book out within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rhinoman Ditto. Too much of you is exposed. I was taught to get behind the block and the wheels and shoot around ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Finally got the new book out

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    Ditto. Too much of you is exposed. I was taught to get behind the block and the wheels and shoot around the front of the car. Much less of you is exposed. The guy shooting from behind the open door doesn't even have good concealment because of the windshield let alone cover.
    Camera set and angles in most cases required more exposure than I would allow myself against live opposition. I'd even be taking the hat off to give them less warning I was coming up in that case, in fact. It's a compromise I have to accept in order to make things clear to the reader.
    Rhinoman likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Ricochet's from rounds landing in front of you, and then off the surface into your person was the reason behind no shooting over a vehicle. Like you, shoot around the front or rear of the vehicle was taught in barricade work.
    And I include those points and things like stand-off distance. In the case of the photo, I think I'm demonstrating the need to allow for sight offset even when shooting pistols when you're doing it around vehicles with rounded surfaces. I also advocate a shoot and move approach that doesn't have you staying in one position for more than a shot or two. This is also illustrated in the book.
    AzQkr likes this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

I have a chapter like this in all of the 'Gunfighting...' series books. This is the one in this volume:

I worry about this. Thatís why
    I always make this request to you.

I remain conscious of the fact that I donít know everything about the things I want to know everything about. And I stay aware that I may not know what is current or up‐to‐date about any subject that I know something about. I also feel like this subject, the subject of the counter‐offensive fight in all its variations and various manifestations, is too important to you, the reader, and to anyone I work with in training to not acknowledge that something I write about or teach about may not be the best thing for the most people.

For those reasons I always put this request in most of the books I write: If you believe that there is a more effective concept or process or technique or tactic than anything I present in any of my writing about this subject, tell me. If you think I am flat‐out wrong about something I teach or write about, tell me. If you want to question something I say or present, do so.

Because if there is something that could work better I want to know about it. And if there is something that doesnít work I want to know about it faster. This is too important a subject for me not to need to know if something needs to be changed. So if you think something does by all means tell me what it is and how you think it should be.

BUT: Donít expect me to automatically accept what you write or say to me without question. I have what I believe are solid reasons for presenting the viewpoints I do. In many cases I am not presenting my personal opinion or view but that of men and women with far more experience and far more knowledge and far more time in combat than I have. In many cases I have asked some of those men and women about the things I write about and teach. I have corresponded or spoken to them directly about these things. It is not just me I offer here. It is the sum of them as well. I donít believe anyone who thinks about it can expect me to discard all of that just because you or anyone else tells me that something is not as good or not right.

I will consider what you have to say. I will do that. I will possibly ask you for clarification or explanation about some points you make if I need that. I will want to make sure I understand whatever point you are making and I want to consider it carefully. Expect that process to occur if you do offer me correction or improvement of some kind.

Understand also that I may not agree with you about it after that consideration is over. It just may happen that way. I could change something based on what you present to me or I could not. Understand that. But understand also that if I do reject that idea/concept/technique/modification that I will have what I believe to be good reasons for doing that. I will not dismiss you lightly and without cause. To repeat, it is too important to me that I get all this as right as possible for me to do that. So as long as youíre good with the idea I might not agree with you, do let me know what you think. It will likely help either way.

Contact information will be placed in the Resources section. Make use of it as you will. Thank you.
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and forester58 like this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Just bought a download.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Camera set and angles in most cases required more exposure than I would allow myself against live opposition. I'd even be taking the hat off to give them less warning I was coming up in that case, in fact. It's a compromise I have to accept in order to make things clear to the reader.
    I understand. I make training films for the military and I sometimes have to pose guys without the proper protective gear so the users can see what we're trying to display.
    AzQkr and wizard7mm08 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Picky, picky, picky. If I can pop up and end the attack by shooting through glass or door, I'm going to do that. Your being taught not to predisposes you not to expect it, which could give somebody less restricted a chance to surprise you with some damage.

Understand also that I wouldn't go that high if I somebody was on the other side. Several of the pictures in the book--that's one of them--require me to be higher so that the camera has a clear view of what I'm doing. Only way to make the point I want to.

I actually hope I would have the presence of mind to drop and find an ankle to disintegrate first. Otherwise, I would want to go just barely high enough to get the muzzle over the top edge of the door itself.
    The mentors who trained us were adamant, adamant and adamant about it during training. Guys like John Meyers-DoD; Phil Singleton-SAS, the director and asst directors of HK's training division at the time.

As long as it's mentioned that's for demo purposes in the material, it's all good CR

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The mentors who trained us were adamant, adamant and adamant about it during training. Guys like John Meyers-DoD; Phil Singleton-SAS, the director and asst directors of HK's training division at the time.

As long as it's mentioned that's for demo purposes in the material, it's all good CR
    Yes, and I should have more correctly said that prior training might make you vulnerable because of assumptions, not will.

I understand about being adamant about it, but I also don't want to be trapped by a mindset that demands I do things an expected way. The other guy may be expecting me to stay where the hard cover is and focus on that. If I can use concealment to pop up and shoot and then move, I may can disturb his wa enough to win or at least get away. It's at least the best place to set up initially, however. Get behind the hard stuff and evaluate and work out the next move or see if there's a way outa there or both.

Besides...all the movies say the doors will stop bullets. Happens all the time on TV. Right?

I do want to make sure I thank you for inadvertently pointing something out to me. I will need to add to the section in each book that talks about the pictures in it. I need to make sure the reader understands that pictures in the book are usually there to make specific points and don't usually reflect the untidiness of reality.
    Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I understand. I make training films for the military and I sometimes have to pose guys without the proper protective gear so the users can see what we're trying to display.
    Indeed. The pictures in the book normally are meant to illustrate a single point or concept. That and the nature of the process I go through for pictures (I haven't used an outside photographer except in Vol. 1 and in 4. Otherwise, I do all this myself, by myself. Exceptions in this book were friends arriving early for a training group session that helped with camera work in this book.) sometimes sets me up in a way that definitively would not be the same as if there were rounds coming back at me or the possibility thereof. One of the limitations of the media.
    Rhinoman, Mike1956 and AzQkr like this.

www.inshadowinlight.com

The criticism is comical.. Good job on the book.

The whole point is to use good tactics that will afford you more turns at bat than the other guy. You take the shots that you can take- when you can take them. Fighting is risky business, but it does not have to be fool hearty. If a person expects to take all the risk out of a gunfight, I don't think they are going to be doing much fighting.
    Last edited by Fizban; October 3rd, 2017 at 08:29 PM.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

New book

Hello everyone, I read many books, I also write a review and publish it at https://paperleaf.ca/, I think those who read books will be interested. On my site you will find many reviews and essays.

Congrats on the book!
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

IF, you shoot over cover do no crowd it, give it several feet of standoff distance.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    WOW! So much expert knowledge from so many sources! You all can just color me as overwhelmed by your brilliance.

Two tours in Vietnam, 4 Purple Hearts (shrapnel, bullets), followed by 24 years as a civilian cop (shot once, stabbed twice, run over by a car on purpose, thrown off the balcony of an apartment building because the tenants didn't like hearing about a loud music complaint). I just wish all of you experts on close combat had been around about a half-century ago when I really needed you.

I think I'll just drag my old butt down to the indoor range tomorrow for my twice weekly training sessions with the .45. I suspect that some of you would not approve of my stance, my technique, maybe even my scores on the target, but obviously you are the experts so I'll just have to listen to your bloviations ad nauseum.

Been there. Done that. Don't need the damn T-shirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links