DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Recommend good Kindle books about CCW

Thread: Recommend good Kindle books about CCW

Tags:

YJT said:

Recommend good Kindle books about CCW

Hello.

I have been reading gun related stuff for some time now; starting in late 80s with Guns & Ammo, Handguns, and other magazines. Then started reading gun books in the 90s. However, I have started reading books about CCW only recently (because CCW is not allowed here I have not had a reason to).

At the moment, I am not interested in books about shooting technique per se, or books about the lawful use of force (like In the Gavest Extreme); since I live in Finland the US gun laws are not a concern for me.

However, what Im the most interested in, are books that handle CCW from tactical standpoint, and practical advise on carrying the gun (the operative word being "carrying").

I have and/or have read (at least) the following books about the subject:
    - Concealed carry 101 (Caleb Lee)
    - ABCs of concealed carry (Joseph Terry)
    - Guns & Ammo guide to concealed carry
    - Civilian combat (Skip Coryell)
    - Off duty holsters and concealed carry for cops (Michael Weissberg)
    - Gun Digest book of concealed carry (Massad Ayoob)
    - Concealed carry & handgun essentials (Ben Findeley)
    - Concealed carry bible (Josh Manning)
    - Albrecht on guns (Steve Albrecht)
    - the Handbook of modern concealed carry and personal protection (George E. Walker)
    - Concealed carry and home defense (Michael Martin)
    - Armed response (David Kenik)

So, can you help me to find some good books that are somewhat more advanced in nature? I prefer e-books / Kindle, but will consider also printed books.

Also, I have a Kindle sample of the Modern American Gunslinger by Mark O. Keen and if seems a very good book, but is not available anymore as a Kindle book, and printed books are out of print. If somene would like to part from his copy, I would be willing to listen...

Mike1956 said:
    Greg Ellifritz is one of the best contemporary gun writers on the planet, IMO, and has written many concealed carry articles:

Active Response Training | Providing Reality-Based Solutions to Resist Criminal Violence
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

OldChap said:
    One issue we have is that everyone focuses entirely on the use of a gun for personal defense when, in reality, the gun is the last resort. I don't know anything about how police officers are trained in Europe, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Own-...+own+bodyguard

The author covers a lot of what I was taught in police academy and a lot of what I learned during my 10 years on the street in a very simple way that is, IMHO, a very good refresher. I've been recommending this book quite a lot. Might be something you'd enjoy reading as it is broad-reaching in scope concerning security. I have a few issues with his chapters on guns, but that is probably to be expected since his background and training is mainly European. Anyway, might be something for you.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

jmf552 said:
    Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense" is a must. It is short and to the point. It is a yardstick with which to judge every other book or method. Cooper's principles truly transcend technique.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

BillG174 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense" is a must. It is short and to the point. It is a yardstick with which to judge every other book or method. Cooper's principles truly transcend technique.
    I agree - a great must read from a legend.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

GOA, SAF, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

Spirit4earth said:
    That book is $59.95 on Amazon.

SOS24 said:
    It is a great book and can be found electronically here: https://archive.org/details/JeffCoop...efense/page/n1

1942bull said:
    I agree that Cooper advises the most important characteristics for both self defense and offense. It reminded me of an experience I had decades ago. Being a combat photographer in the Corps I was assigned to accompany an eight man recon team on a mission. Recon trains more intensively that the regular infantry. Coopers book mirrors that recon training and action. I swear by it.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

sigman69 said:
    https://www.amazon.com/Your-Defensiv.../dp/1456542516 Mike Seeklander, this book also goes over the training aspect of CCW.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

RedSafety said:
    Oh shoot. I was hoping you were looking for novels. Mine's ready for beta read, then edit, then rewrite, then publish. A related book has a customer taking out an armed bad guy. Does that count?
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

pskys2 said:
    Anything by Ayoob, Cooper, Jordan, Askins, Cirrilo and I'd recommend the trio of books on stopping power by Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall. They list actual shootings and the details are pretty interesting in how people really react when shot.

I'll have check out Ellifritz.

I know most of those listed are "old timers" but sometimes seasoning helps.